Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times

Advertisements

^ Sure crossing the world requires more preparation and money than crossing the Channel.
Maybe late May-early June is less expensive? Days would be almost as long as solstice and it's likely to be sunnier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Lol, I've wondered that, too - there are only about 16 million Dutch people so how come I see NL car number plates absolutely everywhere?!
That's a mystery. Be it in Germany, France or Scotland (England?), they always seem to be the most numerous foreigners, ahead of countries 3 or 4 times more populated. The only plausible explanation is Dunno's. They hide among us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Northernmost: Montreal, Quebec, Canada. About 45.5 N.

Southernmost: I wasn't quite sure. Had to look it up among the places I've been to. Belize City, Belize at about 17.5 N beats out San Juan, Puerto Rico; St Thomas, US Virgin Islands; and Tortola, British Virgin Islands, all right around 18.5 N.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

That's a mystery. Be it in Germany, France or Scotland (England?), they always seem to be the most numerous foreigners, ahead of countries 3 or 4 times more populated. The only plausible explanation is Dunno's. They hide among us.
I see PL and D plates the most, then NL, F, IRL.

Furthest north I have been (not including flying over southern Greenland) is Gretna in Scotland, 54.994 N. The locals were in t-shirts and shorts on a sunny but only 15C August day. I had to wear a coat!

The furthest south I've been is Byron Bay, NSW at -28.643 S. It was ok during the middle of the day but cold at night in August.

Last edited by B87; 09-03-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,386 times
I'm not well traveled. The northernmost I've been is Lansing, Michigan. The southernmost I've been is New Orleans. I don't like the short days in winter here all that much.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Summer

Greenville, Maine (45° 28) - Cool to chilly nights and warm days. The water was freezing!
Miami, Florida (25° 47) - The usual. Hot and humid with a mix of sunshine and thunderstorms.

Winter

Lake Placid, New York (44° 17) - Snowed about everyday when I was there in March four years ago.
Washington, DC (38° 53) - It was only for a day, but it was cold and dreary with drizzle. There was a light coating of snow on the ground.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Northernmost Latitude= 58north in Scotland. Sunlight angle was similar to here which is high in the summer at solar noon and low in the winter at solar noon.

Southernmost latitude= 26north florida.

Yes I have not really travelled far north or far south. Sunlight angle was medium and the sun took along time to rise and descend. Where I live the sun in the winter reaches a high altitude pretty fast.

Last edited by Mac15; 09-03-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Mine is 56 degrees North, in Edinburgh, Scotland for most northerly point I've been to.

Southernmost point is Stewart Island/Rakiura in New Zealand, at 47 degrees South.

The Scotland visit took place just before the New Year, and boy, that sun was low in the sky - dunno how high it got, but it sure wasn't much. And sunset took place around 3:30, although the extended twilight lasted a good bit longer than that. Pretty odd to see those long, long shadows at high noon, for sure. The New Zealand visit took place in summer, but it was overcast, so sun's position didn't matter anyhow.

If you go by just the northern hemisphere, the lowest I've visited is 0 degrees exactly, with my legs straddling both sides of the Equator in Ecuador...can't get any "lower" than that...lol.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM

275 posts, read 579,852 times
Northernmost: 64.82 N - Fairbanks, Alaska - USA
- Lived there for about 4 years. The temperatures got down to -40F/C and colder in in the winter and above 80/26C in the summer at times. Ice fog is quite common in the colder temperatures. Snow on the ground from mid October until April. Normally, there was little wind with the cold temperatures.

Southernmost: 33.55 S - Capetown, South Africa
- Visited there during the summer. A great break from the northern hemisphere's cold winter. Weather for the few days I was there was in the 70's and clear.

Globetraveler - Currently living at 61.5 N

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Northernmost: 58°46'N - Churchill, MB

I went there for work in May for a few days. I noticed the days were noticeably longer than here at 49° even a month before the summer solstice. However, Hudson Bay was still frozen solid and the temperature was about -11°C without the windchill. I was very happy I packed my parka, toque and ski mitts otherwise I'd be very uncomfortable

Southernmost: 38°47'S - Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia

I was there in November (late spring) and the weather seemed to shift from cold to hot and back to cold again on a dime. I was lucky that I packed a sweater with me and even then when the wind shifted, I started to shiver.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,466,263 times
Northernmost:
During summer: Stockholm, Sweden and St. Petersburg, Russia (60°N) - both in June. The weather was very warm and sunny during my travels. However I found the extremely long days unsettling.
During winter: Riga, Latvia (56°N). I was born there and lived for a number of years. Winters were cold and snowy, with temperatures dropping to -20C during cold snaps. I wasn't really into weather at the time, though, and thought that was the norm for most places.

Southernmost:
Costa Rica (9°N). I've been to both highland and lowland areas in July. The highlands were quite comfortable. The sun is extremely strong and dangerous without protective clothes. But the mornings were cool. The coastal lowlands were very hot and muggy. However the breeze combined with afternoon showers made them more tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather