Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:16 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times

Advertisements

I give an F to any climate that is hot year-around or extremely dry and sunny. Or any climate that doesn't feature anything of interest (like Arica for example). I guess since I'm rather picky with my climate preferences, I'm more reluctant to give it out As than Fs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
I preserve the F-grade to climates which are unlivable or create extreme uncomfort just stepping outside. Vostok is unlivable, Omyakon and Mecca too. Tórshavn and Arica are E climates. While terrible, they aren't generally lethal.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:37 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I give an F to any climate that is hot year-around or extremely dry and sunny. Or any climate that doesn't feature anything of interest (like Arica for example). I guess since I'm rather picky with my climate preferences, I'm more reluctant to give it out As than Fs.
Me too. An A grade in any other rating system, such as food or businesses, signifies that something is among the very best of its kind.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
^^ rainy weather is harmless too. Inconvenient, sure, but harmless - providing it doesn't cause flooding. All-day drizzle doesn't kill people, but the sun does.

I am reluctant to give out Fs to any climate - for example, Miami gets an E from me, as the thunderstorms provide interest, and winters are at least comfortable. Mecca, on the other hand.. that's hot constantly.
I actually prefer all-day drizzle over all-day heavy rain.

Drizzle isn't even bad. In fact, I think it's a beautiful sight (the misty-looking type of drizzle). I even made a thread on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I find it funny that the same people complaining that people give an "F" to a mild climate, are the same ones who would give a climate that's "too cloudy" an F as well. Cloudy weather is "harmless" too.
Well, Lima is very cloudy and I would give it a C-, not an F. Why? At least it isn't rainy. The lack of rain (and the mild temps) compensate its gloominess.

If Lima were very sunny but a lot rainier (with the same mild temps) it would get the same rating. If it were gloomy (like it is now) and wet, it would get an E/D-.

It's all about balance.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times
Ulaanbaatar
Khartoum
Singapore
Mecca

some real horrors,gladly an F to any of these and any like it .

Maritime drizzly climates such as Brest,Cork,Glasgow ,Bergen etc can be irritating and depressing but you can ignore them and get on with your life ...something you can't do with the places above ,those climate types takes over your life . Although Bergen might be too maritime extreme for my liking

Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Climates that are unlivable at least some time of the year are of course the worst. Like Mecca, Kuwait City, Yuma, Riyadh and Baghdad. Phoenix is just slightly better, as it has 6 months when temps are on an acceptable level.

The second tier is the uncomfortably oppressive climates, like Chennai (Madras), Mumbai, Delhi, Singapore, Manaus, Belém and such.

The third tier are the ones that just suck (too cold, too hot, too dry too little variation), like Ulan Bator, Cairo, La Paz, San Francisco or Miami.

Honorary mentions go to all arctic hellholes and subpolar rainforests, like Murmansk, Stornoway and Reykjavík. And Alert, Nunavut of course.

I'll take Brest over all these.
I agree. Lived near Brest between the age of 2 and 7 and it was an enjoyable time. Jumping in the water with wellington boots, seeing the 10:30 pm sunsets in the summer, and i also remember occasional heavy snow. Sure, it.s not the warmest / sunniest climate but it's extremely temperate. The only time you can be stuck at home is during freak storms in winter when the wind is so strong that kids could fly. Otherwise, temperate year-round, and the weather changes 5 times a day, creating beautiful skies.

Even if i prefer continental climates.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:17 PM

110 posts, read 130,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Helsinki has a typical mustn't-grumble climate, nothing horrendous.
Its only great defect is its latitude: winters nights are far too long and summer nights are far too short north of 55N (or south of 55S).

Conversely in the 35N-35S latitude range there's an annoying lack of seasonality and furthermore the sun angle is dangerously high most of the time. My brother went to Quito for business a couple of months ago: despite the very comfortable daily highs he experienced (around 18C-20C) he recalls he felt the sun literally pierce through his neck... I'd rather feel not threatened by that shiny star above our heads!

All of the above means that the best climates are to be found in the middle latitudes (35-55 N or S), anyway there's plenty of ghastly climates in this range as well!
I’m not surprised – I would feel burned in the mild high-altitude tropics and subtropics, and also I imagine in Tibet or the Great Basin and Colorado Plateau. I do admit that the temperatures there are very pleasant whilst in my view almost all people from high latitudes do not understand let alone appreciate how great the seasonal contrasts in wet/dry tropical regions are.

Thus, in places like the altiplano of Peru and Bolivia there would I imagine be seasonal contrasts as real as those of high latitudes: vegetation grows with the rain as air does with the heat in the high latitudes. However, the glare seems impossibly tough for sensitive eyes like mine. I squint very frequently on sunny days even in Melborune, and a couple of years ago in the clean air of eastern Tasmania (a region with about the world’s most comfortable climate) I was sunburnt without being aware on a merely very warm 25°C or 77°F day – this at sea level 43 degrees from the equator with the sun no more than 65 degrees overhead.

Extreme altitude climates, like those of La Paz or Lhasa, are the most difficult in the world to rate without actual experience. They are chilly by night at least, but the existence of settlements at those altitudes, it must be emphasised, is a reflection of extreme heat over adjacent lowlands, rather than hypercontinentality as with Manchuria’s big cities of Shenyang, Changchun and Harbin (which it must be emphasised has for its latitude of 45° not merely the globe’s coldest winters but also nearly its hottest and certainly its muggiest summers). On paper, Lhasa is above-average for Asia, and much of the altiplano pleasant with tops in the high teens (60s Fahrenheit) year-round but giving high ratings without experience to a place above 2,500 metres is very risky indeed if you do not know the sun conditions!

Old 11-16-2016, 04:14 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I preserve the F-grade to climates which are unlivable or create extreme uncomfort just stepping outside. Vostok is unlivable, Omyakon and Mecca too. Tórshavn and Arica are E climates. While terrible, they aren't generally lethal.
Arica's climate is harmless, and quite pleasant. While cloudy by desert standards, its 2400 hrs/annum is a reasonable tally in global terms. Locally tagged as "the city of eternal spring".

Old 11-16-2016, 04:46 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood View Post
arica's climate is harmless, and quite pleasant. While cloudy by desert standards, its 2400 hrs/annum is a reasonable tally in global terms. Locally tagged as "the city of eternal spring".
1+

Old 11-16-2016, 05:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times
Mecca is absolutely not unliveable.
Otherwise it wouldn't be a city with a population of nearly 2 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather