Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times

Advertisements

Wow, it illustrates well what you say about Saskatoon being a four-season climate heavily skewed towards winter. I much prefer Ottawa's pattern. Still quite cold, but at least it doesn't look like winter by mid-fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ain't it great what a difference a few hundred miles can make?

Average low 4.4C here, the colours are pretty good this year.
Hooray, the average low is now 9.7°C!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Saskatoon is skewed toward Winter, though I'd hardly say it's "heavily" skewed. Plain skewed is more like it. Saskatoon is looking great this week, and not exactly Winter-like, with the leaves still on some of the trees and the snow being wet and transient, but for sure you've passed what most people think of Autumn, and now you're in the "other Autumn" or "late fall", that most elusive of seasons that falls in-between vegetative Autumn and actual Winter. Your first set of pictures exemplifies what I think of when I think of Autumnal weather (minus the snow), which comes somewhat after the foliage peaks. I actually consider the foliage to just be the opening act of fall, with the rest of it coming later before the snow starts sticking around (at that point Winter begins). It's typically only after the peak of the foliage when the weather is "not warm" on a consistent basis. Although this varies by person I don't consider feeling warm or too hot half the time to be fall-like weather - fall-like starts when warm days become the exception, not the rule, and much of the time it feels chilly, often chilly enough for additional layers. Warm for me is anything above 60F or 70F, and I usually don't start feeling chilly until it gets deep into the 40's, and layers only come on when it's sub-30F when winds are calm or sub-50F when winds are strong.

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope that you get some idea of what I'm trying to tell.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Was some decent foliage on Long Island yesterday:

Mill Dam Washover by steelrail | Weather Underground

possibly leaning more towards green than changed. A good illustration of the effect of being near the sea in more than one way.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM

753 posts, read 838,235 times
How's everyone else's foliage coming along?

Here are a couple more from Saskatoon (and I imagine it looks pretty similar in the rest of the prairies as well)... our temperatures are still quite mild, generally only a few degrees below freezing, but we've just had quite a large snowfall a couple nights ago and so it really looks like winter now.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Let's switch places.. if you like mild, cloudy climates, you're in for a treat here.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Leaves are almost gone, overnight hard freezes are reaching the lakeshore and waiting to see when the 1st snow arrives!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
How's everyone else's foliage coming along?

Here are a couple more from Saskatoon (and I imagine it looks pretty similar in the rest of the prairies as well)... our temperatures are still quite mild, generally only a few degrees below freezing, but we've just had quite a large snowfall a couple nights ago and so it really looks like winter now.

How the hell is that mild?!

Winter, hasn't even started in most places yet.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
How the hell is that mild?!

Winter, hasn't even started in most places yet.
Look at their averages!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Some foliage pics from Lower Normandy (NW France). Little to no colors yet, and we're in November. Most of the trees were actually shedding their leaves with even turning, maybe because it's an hyperoceanic climate (lower amplitudes and more wind than in Paris). Anyway this is turning out to be a bad year for autumn colors, not that they are outstanding in a normal one. Still, at this point, most of the trees in the second picture should be at least yellow.

The village below hosts some kind of exotic garden. Trachycarpus and yuccas are everywhere in that region, from front gardens to roundabouts. There are quite a few CIDPs too.
Btw, he factory on the hill is a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant. In our back sits a two-reactor nuclear power plant, with a third one U/C. For some reason, nuclear engineers seem to love that quaint little bay.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM

559 posts, read 748,241 times
Sandy blew off most of the leaves by this point, even though again like I said, half the trees had no leaves by the beginning of October anyway. A few leaves still hanging on here and there, especially the one tree in my backyard that I like to call the "Stubborn Tree". This tree loses about 80% of it's leaves by the end of November, but the other 20% hang on all winter until March!! They just don't wanna leave I guess lol. And I also have a cherry blossom tree in my yard that's been acting weird this year. Last year it had almost no leaves at this point, and this year it has about half its leaves left and they're ALL GREEN!!! The colored ones fell off already, but I don't get why it still has green leaves when in all other years it had no green leaves left by early October. I'm telling you this year has been a weird year for fall foliage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather