Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Did a new "ICE AGE" just start?
Shhhh, there's no cold anywhere, its just warming out there on this globe!

Departure from normal Highs and Lows.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Spring: Ice Age Style. That sort of wind chill map is far from unheard of in the middle of winter, so to have it on April 23 is quite remarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Did a new "ICE AGE" just start?
This sort of weather is normal during that area in glacial periods, but it is very premature to suggest that the current interglacial is currently ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Shhhh, there's no cold anywhere, its just warming out there on this globe!

Departure from normal Highs and Lows.
That is a lot of blue. The only area of significant warmth is in California.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM

Rapid City, SD has racked up 43.4" of snow, more than their entire winter average...in April.

5000 record lows, low max & snowfall in the past 2 weeks alone!!

Almost 3000 record lows and low max in just 1 week!!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,320 times
I posted my earlier rants in the wrong place, apparently.

To wit: I live in eastern Texas, and while we haven't had any snow or ice, it has most certainly been below normal, and frankly I'm sick of it. Last year my brother-in-law & I were swimming on April the 1st, and from then-on we continued to. We used our above-ground pool late last April for my nephew's birthday party. Right now, on the other hand, my pool is so cold that it almost makes my hands numb--but last week, I was in it & all was fine.

Deviations from the norm just really get on my nerves, ESPECIALLY during the spring, because I'm a warm weather person who mainly tolerates winter and when spring gets here I'm ready for it to get down to business and I want winter-like weather GONE and FOR GOOD until November. 2+5 should be 7, not 3 one year and 3000 the next, but 7 EVERY year ALWAYS. Crazy weather might interesting topics of conversation to many, for me, it's nothing less than an outrage. You should be able to know what to expect, and it should be consistent year-after-year. If I wanted some excitement, I'd go parachute-jumping out of a plane or ride a roller coaster. Roller coasters belong at Six Flags, not in our weather's wacko behavior.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I posted my earlier rants in the wrong place, apparently.

To wit: I live in eastern Texas, and while we haven't had any snow or ice, it has most certainly been below normal, and frankly I'm sick of it. Last year my brother-in-law & I were swimming on April the 1st, and from then-on we continued to. We used our above-ground pool late last April for my nephew's birthday party. Right now, on the other hand, my pool is so cold that it almost makes my hands numb--but last week, I was in it & all was fine.

Deviations from the norm just really get on my nerves, ESPECIALLY during the spring, because I'm a warm weather person who mainly tolerates winter and when spring gets here I'm ready for it to get down to business and I want winter-like weather GONE and FOR GOOD until November. 2+5 should be 7, not 3 one year and 3000 the next, but 7 EVERY year ALWAYS. Crazy weather might interesting topics of conversation to many, for me, it's nothing less than an outrage. You should be able to know what to expect, and it should be consistent year-after-year. If I wanted some excitement, I'd go parachute-jumping out of a plane or ride a roller coaster. Roller coasters belong at Six Flags, not in our weather's wacko behavior.
Don't worry....a decent westerly/zonal flow should take over in the coming days (kicking the last of the cool air out)...with a warming and drying in the Plains. Most of the snowcover that is left in the upper Plains will be vaporize this weekeand as highs climb into the 60's and 70's F. In fact the snow up there will melt so fast that there might be flooding up in the upper Midwest/Northern Plains. So the snow ends today....then warming and drying the rest of the week into the weekend. Even the models show the main belt of westerlies shifting northward, especially in the Eastern states. Last night's GFS ensemble predicted that at an elevation of 5,000 feet, the temperature will be just below freezing from Thursday through midday Friday, but then above freezing continuously through at least May 9 , if not for the rest of spring.

So those hoping for the cooler than normal conditions to continue....the party is over.

Henry shows more here (end of Vid):

Snow Ends Today...Heavy Storms Today and Wednesday - Meteorological Madness Weather Blog

Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Yep. Look at this forecast!

NOAA National Weather Service

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Rapid City Airport = KRAP LOL. Like their forecast. LOL.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yep. Look at this forecast!

NOAA National Weather Service
I told you...the pattern would snap soon...winter can't fight the solar angle and building subtropical highs forever

I just E -Abrams blog too. He notes the warming and drying up there (and in much of the cenrtal and eastern USA). Elliot is always spot on most of the time.

Here comes "real spring":

True Spring at Last? - Northeast U.S. Weather Blog Weather Blog

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM

Late morning on April 23rd and it feels like its in the teens & 20s in parts of Texas. 850mb freezing way down

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM

....and on April 24th highs will be in the 50's in the Upper Plains and into the 70's into NYC/Connecticut/NJ:

...and by this weekend those places with snow on the ground today will see it vaporize as temps surge into the 60's under that strong April sunshine. Rapid City should see highs around 75 F :

Here comes the warm air .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather