Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,352,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
54mm over the last couple of days in Sydney which would be most welcome.

Sunny and dry here over the last few days, with that comes the cold nights with minima around 6-7C during the mornings.
Certainly has been very much so mate . Very cleansing and invigorating too and lovely to hear the rain fall "heavily" after a month as well as having a break from the vapid sunny skies
Approx. 60-65mm has fallen here since the event started on Wednesday. I feel so relaxed and happy - like on a natural high - at the moment.
As I'm typing now, frequent showers, some heavy, are passing over-head
As soon as the flow switched from "horrid" icy cold weterlies to the S-SE, the increase in humidity has made it feel much more bearable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 03:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,824,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Simple - icy cold westerly flow! That wind is pure satan.
I am starting to agree.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:08 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,073,318 times
Lovely day yesterday and today -- bright blue skies with 18 C. Next week looks much cooler though with possible snow on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I am starting to agree.
Is it really that bad?

Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,606,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Lovely day yesterday and today -- bright blue skies with 18 C. Next week looks much cooler though with possible snow on Tuesday.

Is it really that bad?
No, it isn't. Of the many people I've talked to who have experienced Sydney in the cooler months or have lived/are living there, none has ever even mentioned it.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
Cloudy here lately. Today is sunny, but still some cloud around.

Here are some pics showing the colour as of today. A look at the bananas before the ravages of winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Autumn 2013 Thread (Southern Hemisphere)-dscf1157.jpg   Autumn 2013 Thread (Southern Hemisphere)-dscf1135.jpg   Autumn 2013 Thread (Southern Hemisphere)-dscf1130.jpg  

Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,371,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Another dreary late autumn day here. Nearly seven days without any real sunshine.
...and to think when I show you the climate classification maps and mention the genetics of oceanic climates is to be cool, wet, CLOUDY, ...etc....you tell me they are they are incorrect.

Koppen, and later Trewartha, didn't pull these labels and their overall climate descriptions out of a hat .

Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,609,695 times
Nelson, NZ averages 2,405 hours of sunshine (not sure if accurate, RWood could shed some light), which isn't cloudy to me, and probably isn't cloudy to the majority of people, and has a sunshine minimum of 150 hours in June. Can you explain and justify your reasoning for taking such a condescending and unnecessary tone with Joe, over a, I presume, unusually long spell of cloudy weather? To make some sort of extremely misguided point, or to 'get one over' on him I suspect. This has been a recurring theme with you and I am not the only person to notice this (probably why you're having a silly argument with someone over something incredibly trivial every other day). To be frank, it's incredibly tiresome and nobody likes it, especially when you insist on lecturing others on the climate of their own country.

I can only imagine Nelson is oceanic more because of its temperatures and rainfall as opposed to anything else.. in terms of drearyness, it is nothing remotely like a typical oceanic climate like the UK - much sunnier with less wet days compared to the amount of rain that falls, and is able to support a wider range of subtropical flora - this is reflected in the fact that according to Trewartha, it is very close to humid subtropical.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 05-25-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
...and to think when I show you the climate classification maps and mention the genetics of oceanic climates is to be cool, wet, CLOUDY, ...etc....you tell me they are they are incorrect.

Koppen, and later Trewartha, didn't pull these labels and their overall climate descriptions out of a hat .
Cherry-picking poppycock! He's talking about a short cloudy spell. The sunshine mean is nearly 2500 hours, and that's above the global average. "Wet" is also an unreasonable description given that the frequency of rain days is not high (below 100 at the 1.0mm level).

Are you by any chance putting yourself forward as the 2nd offshore expert on NZ climates? We already have one who grossly overestimates his skill ...

Last edited by RWood; 05-25-2013 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Nelson, NZ averages 2,405 hours of sunshine (not sure if accurate, RWood could shed some light), which isn't cloudy to me, and probably isn't cloudy to the majority of people, and has a sunshine minimum of 150 hours in June. Can you explain and justify your reasoning for taking such a condescending and unnecessary tone with Joe, over a, I presume, unusually long spell of cloudy weather? To make some sort of extremely misguided point, or to 'get one over' on him I suspect. This has been a recurring theme with you and I am not the only person to notice this (probably why you're having a silly argument with someone over something incredibly trivial every other day). To be frank, it's incredibly tiresome and nobody likes it, especially when you insist on lecturing others on the climate of their own country.

I can only imagine Nelson is oceanic more because of its temperatures and rainfall as opposed to anything else.. in terms of drearyness, it is nothing remotely like a typical oceanic climate like the UK - much sunnier with less wet days compared to the amount of rain that falls, and is able to support a wider range of subtropical flora - this is reflected in the fact that according to Trewartha, it is very close to humid subtropical.
Exactly right - see also my post. This guy's lines of argument are incredibly tedious.

Just as a PS - average sunshine at Nelson city over the last 19 years is 2547 hours. I find these climate classification schemes to have one universal characteristic - too generalised. I am only interested in assessing specific climates.

Last edited by RWood; 05-25-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,262,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Exactly right - see also my post. This guy's lines of argument are incredibly tedious.

Just as a PS - average sunshine at Nelson city over the last 19 years is 2547 hours. I find these climate classification schemes to have one universal characteristic - too generalised. I am only interested in assessing specific climates.
I've experienced extended cloudy spells in both Brisbane and Sydney (in fact we had a bad run during the heavy rain in late Jan this year) and Brisbane is regarded as sub tropical. Furthermore we average around 2,800 sunshine hours p.a.

Point is, I think extended cloudy spells can happen across a number of zones/classifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather