Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM

260 posts, read 480,576 times

Advertisements

What do you think, extremely low rainfall, no thunderstorms or hail, extremely stable atmospheric pressure.
Temperatures rarely rise above 30 degrees and very rarely falls below 12 degrees.
Temperatures outside averages are extremely rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times
i dont know if its extremely safe, but extremely boring for sure

Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
It's one of if not the safest city in the world in terms of weather, but I would submit that this is a case of "surviving but not living". Anyway, just about any city in the world offers superb safety in terms of weather - in the vast majority of places, fatalities due to weather are rare and the ones that do occur are usually preventable. So Lima may be the safest city, but just about everywhere else is safe as well, which makes the question somewhat moot as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's one of if not the safest city in the world in terms of weather, but I would submit that this is a case of "surviving but not living". Anyway, just about any city in the world offers superb safety in terms of weather - in the vast majority of places, fatalities due to weather are rare and the ones that do occur are usually preventable. So Lima may be the safest city, but just about everywhere else is safe as well, which makes the question somewhat moot as far as I'm concerned.
i wouldnt say Oklahoma City is safe

Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
i wouldnt say Oklahoma City is safe
There are 23 fatalities confirmed so far (which is probably near the actual figure). 23 out of a city of 1.3 million, which yields a 0.002% chance of any given resident being killed by a tornado. This in one of the worst tornadoes ever to strike the area, which do not occur every year. If we suppose that one of these monsters occurs every 10 years, your chance of being killed drops to 0.0002% in any given year. The odds of being killed in a homicide in any given year in the same city are fifty times that. That's why I say that fatalities are rare and the vast majority of cities are perfectly safe. If you take the time to build a storm shelter, your chance of being killed by a tornado drops even further to near zero. Tornadoes constitute the most dangerous form of weather, but even then your chances of being killed by one is remote, even in the heart of tornado alley. The reality is that just about* every city is safe when it comes to weather.

*The reason I say "just about" is that there may be some big city in the Third World I'm not aware of where people are killed all the time by flooding or some such, so I can't say for sure that every city in the world is superb for weather safety.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

*The reason I say "just about" is that there may be some big city in the Third World I'm not aware of where people are killed all the time by flooding or some such, so I can't say for sure that every city in the world is superb for weather safety.
One-off event, but the 1970 Cyclone hitting Bangladesh killed about 17% of the people in the affected areas (totaling 300,000-500,000 deaths), even averaging over decades this leads to a very high mortality rate.

1970 Bhola cyclone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Just another office climate like coastal Southern California or Northern Coastal Chile, Las Palmas, Spain, or Namibia...boring but comfortable.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,595,728 times
The Atacama cities and towns are just as "safe" as Lima in weather terms.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The Atacama cities and towns are just as "safe" as Lima in weather terms.
Even though San Diego gets 300 times more rain than some of the driest towns in the Atacama, it is JUST as safe cuz San Diego is still is temperate and semi-arid with most rain events being light to moderate and severe weather being non-existent. The only difference is, you may want to use an umbrella, turn on your heat or AC a few days each year but it is NOT dangerous if you don't ever have heat, AC, or an umbrella. San Diego's average highs stay between 65F and 75f at the coast year round and averages less than 10 inches of rain per year. The only difference is you get an occasional 40 F crisp night, 90 + F hot day (dry heat), and a few rainy days in winter for variety to break the monotony.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 06-04-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKREY View Post
What do you think, extremely low rainfall, no thunderstorms or hail, extremely stable atmospheric pressure.
Temperatures rarely rise above 30 degrees and very rarely falls below 12 degrees.
Temperatures outside averages are extremely rare.
They get a fair bit of fog though, that can last a while during the early part of the day - this may impair vision for driving vehicles etc.
But temperature-wise, and lack of rain - you may not even need roof gutters, it is as safe as houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather