Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,890,125 times

Advertisements

This is no big deal for someone who grew up in the SF Bay Area but it will shock most of you in the Eastern U.S. Yesterday, my current location of Los Gatos, CA (right next to San Jose about an hour south of San Francisco) had a high of 95 F. I went swimming at a friend's house to cool off in the afternoon. After we got out of the pool to dry off at around 5PM, we packed our sweatshirts, put on socks with sneakers, and drove up to San Francisco (it look a little over an hour), and then it took us another 45 minutes to find parking. . It was a chilly 55 F at the San Francisco Wharf with fog and a breeze. We put on our sweatshirts and walked around the city and it felt so refreshing and chilly. We laughed at the tourists shivering in shorts and buying overpriced sweatshirts from the venders. We had dinner, dipped our toes in the freezing ocean, and walked around quite a bit. We went clubbing and came back at 3AM and had cooled down to around 70 F in Los Gatos again but the house was still 85F due to the AC being off when we were out.

San Francisco's Sunset District yesterday had a high of only 60 F while Livermore (40 miles inland) had a high of 106 F. You could literally pick your preferred temperature by driving around for a little bit. You gotta love our summer microclimates even though we don't have "eventful" weather like the Eastern U.S. That being said, I still wish we would get some summer thunderstorms once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 02:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
I know you find your weather boring, but I find the microclimates of coastal California one of the more interesting spots of the US weather-wise.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I know you find your weather boring, but I find the microclimates of coastal California one of the more interesting spots of the US weather-wise.
Ditto. I remember driving from a 40C day in Sacramento to a 16C day in Santa Cruz... Amazing experience in climate, quite fascinating.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
This is no big deal for someone who grew up in the SF Bay Area but it will shock most of you in the Eastern U.S. Yesterday, my current location of Los Gatos, CA (right next to San Jose about an hour south of San Francisco) had a high of 95 F. I went swimming at a friend's house to cool off in the afternoon. After we got out of the pool to dry off at around 5PM, we packed our sweatshirts, put on socks with sneakers, and drove up to San Francisco (it look a little over an hour), and then it took us another 45 minutes to find parking. . It was a chilly 55 F at the San Francisco Wharf with fog and a breeze. We put on our sweatshirts and walked around the city and it felt so refreshing and chilly. We laughed at the tourists shivering in shorts and buying overpriced sweatshirts from the venders. We had dinner, dipped our toes in the freezing ocean, and walked around quite a bit. We went clubbing and came back at 3AM and had cooled down to around 70 F in Los Gatos again but the house was still 85F due to the AC being off when we were out.

San Francisco's Sunset District yesterday had a high of only 60 F while Livermore (40 miles inland) had a high of 106 F. You could literally pick your preferred temperature by driving around for a little bit. You gotta love our summer microclimates even though we don't have "eventful" weather like the Eastern U.S. That being said, I still wish we would get some summer thunderstorms once in a while.
I was definitely one of those silly tourists last summer that bought overpriced sweatshirts because it was too chilly in SF. I figured that SF would feel roughly the same as a mild Vancouver summer day but the same temp in SF did NOT feel the same compared to Vancouver. It must have been the wind or humidity but it felt way colder in SF compared to here. The temp was around the mid 60s but felt more like the mid 40s to me.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post

How funny! We were driving down the 101 coming home from a vacation on Friday and decided to have dinner at the Wharf! (maybe we passed by each other!) We had stopped for gas and a soda in Willits and it was pretty hot, then we get to SF and it was all foggy and cool. Loved it! The fog bank over the bridge was so eerie! We spent the night in Monterey, did the Aquarium then took the most direct route to get home to Orange County which turned us inland on the 46 to Interstate 5. We stopped in Lost Hills right before getting on the I5 for the gas and drink stop and it was about 110! Weird!
By the way, I liked the cool and foggy much better!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Cool! I would like to visit California and experience such different conditions in the span of a couple hours. I would have to drive about six hours north to Upstate NY or Northern New England to get any sort of relief from the heat and humidity down here. Even then it's not guaranteed to be comfortable. Upstate NY is not nearly as cool as SF during the summer either.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM

6,909 posts, read 8,282,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Cool! I would like to visit California and experience such different conditions in the span of a couple hours. I would have to drive about six hours north to Upstate NY or Northern New England to get any sort of relief from the heat and humidity down here. Even then it's not guaranteed to be comfortable. Upstate NY is not nearly as cool as SF during the summer either.
Yep, In the summer, typically, on average it will be a high of 92 degrees, 20% humidity in Sacramento; and a high of 63 degrees, 75% humidity in SF. But, both cities will be within 5 degrees difference every morning, around 55-60 degrees. Sacramento cools dramatically 20-30 degrees from high to low most summer days. SF to Sacramento, 85 miles apart.

Within the Bay Area, Walnut Creek/Concord will be very similar to Sacramento, so you can take BART in SF where it will have strong wind, high humidity, complete overcast and fog, 55 degrees and when you get to the Concord BART station it will be 92 degrees, very low humidity, cloudless, no wind, full sun. It's about 25 miles.

Crossing the Golden Gate bridge from SF, 15 mins north can bring you full sun, and an increase in 15 degrees, no fog, light wind.

Many SF tourists have no idea that warmth, full sun and very light winds are a BART ride away or a drive across one of the Bridges.

SF has a steady wind combined with a 60 degree temp and high humidity, so when the wind stops and the fog is absent and it's 70 degrees, SF "roasts", most older homes do not have a/c, nor screens on windows because there are No summer bugs in SF.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,123,137 times
You can achieve more or less the same thing by driving from Buxton to Manchester. Well not quite.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 AM

197 posts, read 231,038 times
Seems to happen often in Sydney in the summer aswell. On the coast it can be low 20's, but in the western suburbs it is 35-40C.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
That's amazing, Adrianna. I'd love to experience that one day. The closest experience I have is going from a tropical rainforest microclimate to a warm subtropical highland in about a 10-15 mile drive in Puerto Rico. From sea level the temperature is about 84°F (in winter) with horrendous humidity, but up 2000 or so feet in the mountains it cools down to the high 70s with more moderate humidity, in the rainforest near the summit it feels like mid 70s (one of the highest points in Puerto Rico, plus it's always extremely overcast making it feel cooler than nearby areas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyman reloaded View Post
Seems to happen often in Sydney in the summer aswell. On the coast it can be low 20's, but in the western suburbs it is 35-40C.
Had no idea anywhere in Australia was like that. I thought the NSW coast had warm water, not cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather