Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM

837 posts, read 1,256,696 times

Advertisements

Is the reason that daily maximum temperatures are more consistent (as opposed to swinging between warm/hot and chilly) as well as warmer in July than in June in Northern Hemisphere locations because the jet stream has moved north in July as compared to June (and warm air masses are stronger and cold air masses are weaker in July)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Is the reason that daily maximum temperatures are more consistent (as opposed to swinging between warm/hot and chilly) as well as warmer in July than in June in Northern Hemisphere locations because the jet stream has moved north in July as compared to June (and warm air masses are stronger and cold air masses are weaker in July)?
That pretty much should be it but there are areas and sometimes even we get 70s during the day and 90s another day in July and 50s at night.. (it can still fluctuate between hot and chilly).

But the tilt of the Earth also matters as well.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Warmer sea and soil temps probably help July be more consistently warm than June.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
Not to a great degree here in Tennessee. June highs are about 86 F and July highs average 90 F where I live. The lowest highs I've ever seen in each month are ~70 F. I will note that cool, even mildly cold nights can occur in June and are very rare in July.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
Early June can feature some variation in weather, but after that it wont get interesting until mid September. An extreme example of boring summer weather is July 2010. Even though there were 30 days of 90 or above, the temperature never even reached 100!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Here in the interior of British Columbia, Canada, we get unsettled weather in May, June, and early July. Then the heat turns on around the 7th of July. We typically exceed 40 Celsius at least once every year (104 F). Everyone's climate is different though. I know that up the Yukon June is a nicer month.

The reason July tends to be hotter than June for most places is the same reason that solar noon is not the hottest part of the day. If there is more heat coming in from the sun than is being sent back into space, you get net heating, and as we all know it takes quite a few hours past noon for the sun's incoming energy to drop below the outgoing radiation.

net radiation = incoming solar (mostly visible light) - outgoing IR (infrared)

Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Late July is the most reliably warm time of the year. Though recently summers all seem to be warmer than average, a few years ago it was 6°C during solstice celebrations in late June. Air frost has also been officially recorded in all months except for July.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM

837 posts, read 1,256,696 times
I have to admit that I was thinking more in terms of Montreal, where I'm from, than other places. (Of course, the climate can be different in each of June and July in other places.) The thing is, in a typical June (average high: 23C; average low: 14C) in Montreal, you have a lot of warm or even hot days but also quite a few cool, often cloudy days - the latter even in late June. For an example of a typical June, see June 2011. By contrast, in a typical July (average high: 26C; average low: 17C), the days are consistently warm or hot, with some exceptions. For an example of a typical July, see July 2011. And, at least in recent years, it seems that the shift from variability to consistency in daily highs takes place all the sudden when June turns into July, give or take a few days! So is the difference in the consistency or variability in daily highs owing to a shift in air masses, to a warming up of the land, or what? Or is it also because June is a month of transition between April-May and July-August whereas July is (along with August) high summer?

I also have to admit that I hope every July, particularly deep in July, to see at least one or two days reach a high of just 21-22C or below (and in many of the previous years you've had some cool days even in July), but these past few years have been disappointing in that regard. I have July of 2009, which was a cooler than normal July in Montreal, as a guide; but it seems that that particular July behaved somewhere between a typical June and a typical July.

Last edited by yofie; 07-16-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 10:52 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
We are also consistently warm in Jan-Feb than Dec.

I'm guessing it's the "seasonal lag" which plays the role, and how the ocean is warmed up.

Don't see how this only applies to the Northern Hemisphere though.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:16 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,995 times
Also the warmer water plays a role here in the coastal region of Germany.
While June can feature very cold days (with maximum temps in the low teens (C)/lower 50s F) it can also have very hot days with temps well in to the 30s°C/90°F.
Nights can be as warm as over 20°C/ 68°F but also as cold as 5°C/ 41°F.

In July, the highest temps can get up to 35°C/95°F, but the lowest maximums do rarely drop below 15°C/59°F even on its coldest days. The same is also valid for most of August here though.
Night temperatures in July and August are more consistent, rarely dropping below 10°C/50°F and the hottest nights also can be as warm as the low 20s°C/70s°F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather