Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: rate
A 2 15.38%
B 3 23.08%
C 5 38.46%
D 3 23.08%
E 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times

Advertisements

Set in a mountainous region deep in a forest at 46 degrees latitude, near a stream feeding into a smallish-medium sized lake, and at an elevation of 1,886 feet, Icicleland was named for the reliability of icicles which form to decorate many of the trees throughout the winter months, especially during freezing rain events.

The winters are typically cold and snowy, but can feature blasts of milder weather due to chinook wind events. Cold snaps, on the other hand, can plummet highs to well below freezing with lows in the single digits, and occasionally dipping below zero.

Spring is a time of gradual warming. By the second week of April, the freezing temperatures and frosts are usually done for. A slight increase in precipitation during the spring months bring extra rain to Icicleland, which washes away any leftover snow. By the end of April and into early May it is normally getting reliably warm and is only a matter of time before the true summer heat starts to set in.

Summer is a period of very reliable warm to hot temperatures. This is also the driest time of the year, with but a thunderstorm or two rolling through per month. The sun is shining, the skies are blue, and the stars shine brightly at night. Not even the strongest heat wave has forced the temperature here to top 100 degrees, although it has brought it close a few times.

Fall begins its cool down very slowly at first, but really starts to pick up steam by the third week of September. By mid October, the nights start to dip below freezing again, and the first snow of the season (usually small and short lived as it is) is usually seen by the month's end.

Annual sunshine totals are in the neighborhood of 2412 hours per year on average.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate Climate: Icicleland-icicleland.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 PM

I give this a solid C+ myself. Spring is a little bit wet, and I'd like precipitation totals to be below an inch for each summer month (and June is far too much, but July and August aren't THAT bad) but otherwise I have no real reason to complain. Good temperature range, the fact that a majority of precipitation in the summer months comes from thunderstorms helps, snowfall is nice. I wouldn't too displeased with this place at all, and I gotta love the setting I assigned to it! (And how COOL would a forest full of icicle covered trees be?!)

Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I expected far worse from the name and the OP. Vaguely similar to where I live with a milder later winters and a bit less hot summers. Rather dry, in particular late summer and early fall. Might be bad with plants but hopefully accompanied by clear skies.

B-.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I expected far worse from the name
My intent was a slightly misleading name. Probably makes most think this is a year round winter or close to it with no real summer. Then they get a little surprise when they actually open the thread and see the climate stats.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
My intent was a slightly misleading name. Probably makes most think this is a year round winter or close to it with no real summer. Then they get a little surprise when they actually open the thread and see the climate stats.
I tend to ignore threads that seem like they'd be a year around winter climate, since there were a lot of them. But I ended up clicking on it anyway.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I tend to ignore threads that seem like they'd be a year around winter climate, since there were a lot of them. But I ended up clicking on it anyway.
Hmmm..... maybe it wasn't such a great idea then. Now I'm sure there are others who will ignore it for just the same reason haha.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,520 times
Almost perfect! A from me!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
Winter temps are OK. Summer is too hot, and overall it's too sunny. B

Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,398,274 times
It's too dry. Otherwise it's just Zagreb with better winters, so I grade it the same. B+

Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,600 times
C minus. The summers could be hotter, the winters MUCH warmer with NO snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather