Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More oppressive summer : New York City or Marseille ?
New York City 39 90.70%
Marseille 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
The med is also warmer than the sea by NYC and probably less polluted as well... although Jellyfish are a big problem
I've had jellyfish issues a few times in NY (Long Island) beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
As I understand it, the question is merely about the climate. Some New Yorkers don't have AC either and they have it worse than their Marseillais counterparts.
Because of a climate difference? Or a building difference?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It's not an argument. It's trying to figure out why there is a discrepancy in temperature albeit less then 1F as you pointed out. I would really like to know. Why one product states July at 84.9F, while another 84.1F? How else do you calculate the 30 year average maximum temperature of a climate station? Qilin34 makes a distinction between climate normals, and averages. I was not aware there was one.

1981-2010 Normals Data Access | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
Yes, they're not the same. The normals get adjustments, as brought up in climate change debates. The missing data gets interpolated, the overall pattern gets smoothed, and maybe measurements in obvious error get thrown out. In any case, NYC's Central Park isn't one of the stations used for calculating the NCDC climate averages, there are no climate normals, just raw averages. That's all you get.

NEW YORK CNTRL PRK WSFO, NEW YORK - Climate Summary

Raw average is 84.9. Previous periods had NCDC normals. There was another thread here (comparing stations with the highest diurnal range) that you got different answers whether you used NCDC normals or not. The NCDC normals tended to be less extreme diurnal range wise.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,934 times
There are plenty of jellyfish in Black Sea, but most of them are not dangerous.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Both I would imagine. Higher humidity and buildings designed for cold winters, as well as warm summers would make living without AC quite uncomfortable in NYC IMO.
Buildings around the med tend to be pretty good at keeping cool without AC. I only had a desk fan the first time I was in Palma. Admittedly it was very hot as my apartment was south facing, but it was certainly liveable. I just spent as little time as possible there, especially in the evenings when the dew points are well into the 70's.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 AM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Yes, they're not the same. The normals get adjustments, as brought up in climate change debates. The missing data gets interpolated, the overall pattern gets smoothed, and maybe measurements in obvious error get thrown out. In any case, NYC's Central Park isn't one of the stations used for calculating the NCDC climate averages, there are no climate normals, just raw averages. That's all you get.

NEW YORK CNTRL PRK WSFO, NEW YORK - Climate Summary

Raw average is 84.9. Previous periods had NCDC normals. There was another thread here (comparing stations with the highest diurnal range) that you got different answers whether you used NCDC normals or not. The NCDC normals tended to be less extreme diurnal range wise.
Ok, I see now. Averages are the raw data calculated (as I did) and unadjusted, the "normals" are smoothed and adjusted for whatever purpose.

Looking into the NCDC website, apparently they do have climate "normals" for Central Park, and it is different from the 1981-2010 "averages"

Maybe it's not the same station as the Central Park WSFO as indicated in the website you provide??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In any case, I just saw that the climate "normal" high temperature for Central Park in July for the 1961-1990 period was higher than the current "normal"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
What smog?

And that picture must not do Marsielle's beaches any justice, because it looks like a regular beach to me, just like NYC's beaches.
Marseille's water was obviously much clearer.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 AM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Marseille's water was obviously much clearer.
Not necessarily. It might look less murky because of the type of sand or more rocky, but unfortunately the Mediterranean has lots of water pollution. Anything thrown into the Mediterranean Sea basically stays there unless it can exit into the Atlantic through the Straits of Gibraltar which isn't that wide

Old 12-29-2013, 12:56 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
^^ I think sea pollution is an issue in Marseille area. There are four oil refineries in the Marseille-Fos port. Apparently, a steel mill there has also caused water pollution problems. Until the 80s, there also was a big untreatead sewage water problem. This was near Toulon:
http://www.cerimes.fr/thumb/cache/40...ution_mer1.jpg

Quote:
Like Dean York said, buildings are most likely better suited to warm/hot summers since winter cold is less of an issue than in New York. But I was only thinking about climate. NYC is slightly warmer (especially at night) and more humid. So it's less confortable, though the difference is probably not as big as a lot of people imagine, especially considering Marseille's high sunshine.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Not necessarily. It might look less murky because of the type of sand or more rocky, but unfortunately the Mediterranean has lots of water pollution. Anything thrown into the Mediterranean Sea basically stays there unless it can exit into the Atlantic through the Straits of Gibraltar which isn't that wide
Being 'less murky' is being clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather