Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 12:25 AM

269 posts, read 199,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
are there really ? i assumed everywhere down there was colder than London - do you have a location Joe ? I have 1.9 min for Nelson .

Nowhere in NZ will match the south west /south coast England lows for warmth lol

Portsmouth btw has marginally warmer YEAR ROUND mean temps than Christchurch NZ - and with similar sun and rain totals - C'church marginally sunnier/drier -but very close all round
Are you for real?!? The south coast of England does not have warm winter lows, nearly the entire North Island has warmer lows!

Also, what's the point in arguing one city feels colder the other when one gets 1-2C colder lows, yet the highs are far warmer, I mean that is when everyone is going to be outside anyways. Who wants 8C at midday!
Not to mention the winters being far sunnier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:36 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,356,688 times
I never wear shorts outside. I wear Jeans throughout the year no matter what the temperature.

If you ask the coldest temperature I wore a t-shirt, it was about 15°C.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:39 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Weymouth? May here is warmer than May there - a couple of extra degrees at night is a poor tradeoff. Christchurch (NZ)has warmer minimums and more cloud than Motueka during winter, so by your logic, Christchurch feels warmer than Motueka.

Except for the many places in NZ that are warmer -warmest winter minimums in NZ are warmer than the warmest winter maximums in the UK.

Christchurch gets 20 days less rain, 230 hours more sunshine and 2.5C warmer maximums than Portsmouth, I wouldn't say it's marginally warmer/sunnier, but a reasonably close instead. Portsmouth looks nice for the UK, but is really just a cooler, cloudier Wellington, with 10 days less rain.

Motueka is also colder than London for minimums, but no one talks about how warm London is. Dunedin is also warmer for minimums and cloudier than here, so by that logic people would be thinking that Dunedin feels warmer than here in winter.
Christchurch gets around 150 hours more sunshinme according to my info on wiki -2070 in total .So more ,but not that much more .

Christchurch looks very much like a south coast resort with a tiny bit more sunshine (and greater extremes over a 24 hr period)

No one talks about how warm London is in the same way that no one talks about how warm NZ is - both are very COOL countries . (better that though than a disgusting climate like parts of western/northern Australia -so we're both winners there Joe )
London has more mild weather for more of the time in Winter than Christchurch - that is a fact - also NZ south island probably has no locations where the temperature stays above freezing for so long compared with say parts of Cornwall .
Dundedin is warmer in winter than C'church fact - Weymouth is also warmer than Church -and Nelson is warmer than all of them as an average ,and sunnier - Scilly isles is warmer in winter than the entire lot of them .

Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
Are you for real?!? The south coast of England does not have warm winter lows, nearly the entire North Island has warmer lows!

Also, what's the point in arguing one city feels colder the other when one gets 1-2C colder lows, yet the highs are far warmer, I mean that is when everyone is going to be outside anyways. Who wants 8C at midday!
Not to mention the winters being far sunnier.
yes i am for real - who is going to be outside for long periods in the winter day or night ? what is the difference between 8c and 10c Lon v Chr ? there are places in SW Eng that reach 10 average in winter - whats the deal there ? - it's cold either way .

Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Quote:
yes i am for real - who is going to be outside for long periods in the winter day or night ? what is the difference between 8c and 10c Lon v Chr ? there are places in SW Eng that reach 10 average in winter - whats the deal there ? - it's cold either way .
Lol, Christchurch will feel miles warmer in winter compared to London because the sun will be warm on your cheeks. I don't get why you're even trying to argue. Nowhere in England will feel as warm in the winter as Christchurch, end of discussion. Don't humor us.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Lol, Christchurch will feel miles warmer in winter compared to London because the sun will be warm on your cheeks. I don't get why you're even trying to argue. Nowhere in England will feel as warm in the winter as Christchurch, end of discussion. Don't humor us.
nonsense baba - Christchurch is only mild when it is sunny and it reaches it's 10c peak -most of the day will be 6-10 and freezing at night

since when has 6- 10c been warm ffs lol ? you all need locking up for public protection pmsl .

if it was UK , 6- 10c sunny would be labelled as freezing cold - that's what makes me laugh .

noticed during the rugby the other week they were well and truly rugged up

It's Cold in winter as it should be - get over it all ffs please ! I happen to like those sunny cold conditions too .

I was curious as to why Joe originally failed to include Christchurch for not wearing shorts (that was just strange ) - because you would wear shorts more in London v Christchurch -it has more days which are worthy of shorts throughout the year - you wouldn't be wearing shorts at 6-10c

and London is NOTHING like Vancouver in winter either lol

Old 08-20-2017, 11:22 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Christchurch gets around 150 hours more sunshinme according to my info on wiki -2070 in total .So more ,but not that much more .

Christchurch looks very much like a south coast resort with a tiny bit more sunshine (and greater extremes over a 24 hr period)

No one talks about how warm London is in the same way that no one talks about how warm NZ is - both are very COOL countries . (better that though than a disgusting climate like parts of western/northern Australia -so we're both winners there Joe )
London has more mild weather for more of the time in Winter than Christchurch - that is a fact - also NZ south island probably has no locations where the temperature stays above freezing for so long compared with say parts of Cornwall .
Dundedin is warmer in winter than C'church fact - Weymouth is also warmer than Church -and Nelson is warmer than all of them as an average ,and sunnier - Scilly isles is warmer in winter than the entire lot of them .
Christchurch's official sunshine is 2147 hours, so about 230 hours more than Portsmouth.

3 months of 8C highs isn't mild weather by NZ standards. The difference between an 8C day in London, and a 10C day in Chch, is the day in London will be average maximum and more likely cloudy, while Christchurch will be below average, and more likely sunny.

Are you saying that Dunedin feels warmer in winter than Motueka? -, it's cloudier and has warmer minimums than Motueka

I'm talking about London in relation to my climate, not other countries -your logic is that London would feel warmer than Motueka during winter, but I don't hear people from there, say that.

South Island does have places that stay frost free longer than Cornwall -warmest South Island winters have an average temperature of around 10.3C -about 2C warmer than the Scilly Isles.

Quote:
nonsense baba - Christchurch is only mild when it is sunny and it reaches it's 10c peak -most of the day will be 6-10 and freezing at night

since when has 6- 10c been warm ffs lol ? you all need locking up for public protection pmsl .

if it was UK , 6- 10c sunny would be labelled as freezing cold - that's what makes me laugh .

noticed during the rugby the other week they were well and truly rugged up

It's Cold in winter as it should be - get over it all ffs please ! I happen to like those sunny cold conditions too .

I was curious as to why Joe originally failed to include Christchurch for not wearing shorts (that was just strange ) - because you would wear shorts more in London v Christchurch -it has more days which are worthy of shorts throughout the year - you wouldn't be wearing shorts at 6-10c

and London is NOTHING like Vancouver in winter either lol
6-10C and sunny is regarded as freezing here too. Christchurch doesn't have a 10C peak, it's coldest month is 11.3C, and the winter average is 12C.

I didn't include Christchurch, because wearing shorts in winter is quite normal there.

Vancouver seems pretty close to London to me, just wetter.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Christchurch's official sunshine is 2147 hours, so about 230 hours more than Portsmouth.

3 months of 8C highs isn't mild weather by NZ standards. The difference between an 8C day in London, and a 10C day in Chch, is the day in London will be average maximum and more likely cloudy, while Christchurch will be below average, and more likely sunny.

Are you saying that Dunedin feels warmer in winter than Motueka? -, it's cloudier and has warmer minimums than Motueka

I'm talking about London in relation to my climate, not other countries -your logic is that London would feel warmer than Motueka during winter, but I don't hear people from there, say that.

South Island does have places that stay frost free longer than Cornwall -warmest South Island winters have an average temperature of around 10.3C -about 2C warmer than the Scilly Isles.

6-10C and sunny is regarded as freezing here too. Christchurch doesn't have a 10C peak, it's coldest month is 11.3C, and the winter average is 12C.

I didn't include Christchurch, because wearing shorts in winter is quite normal there.

Vancouver seems pretty close to London to me, just wetter.
Vancouver is a lot colder than London -as i mentioned before ,London is the same as Christchurch temperature wise - i really don't think sun or cloud at those low temperatures would make a difference - 8c and sunny here feels the same as 8c and cloudy (it just looks nicer) - after a 10c sunny day here it feels extremely cold in the evening compared with cloudy winter day evenings - thats how Christchurch will feel -= btw why do they wear shorts there in winter when it's 10c ?
In the olden days i always noted the mid-day temps in the daily newspaper - Stanley,B Aires,Cape Town ,C'church and Sydney were usually the winter locations - and always remember seeing Stanley and C'church in single figures throughout January etc - all the others were in double figs.

as for Dundedin v Nelson - that i don't know - i can' t remember singling Nelson out except for saying the winter nights may feel colder there than a lot of winter nights in London .
I'd ignore what Brits say as well tbf - they will probably pretend it's tropical or something to satisfy their preferences lol

Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM

269 posts, read 199,906 times
Quote:
Um I was talking about the areas of the North Island which get 8-9C lows and 15-16C highs in the winter, nowhere in the UK, not even the south Coast comes close to that.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
Um I was talking about the areas of the North Island which get 8-9C lows and 15-16C highs in the winter, nowhere in the UK, not even the south Coast comes close to that.
Ok - well this started off in C'church - then it went to the rest of S/i - now it's in the north lol .

I was really interested in keeping this C'church only tbf as that is where the temperature matches and also the town that was referenced by our good friend Joe

I'm aware there are warmer parts in the north island up there for sure in winter - i sure wouldn't be arguing about that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather