Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

So the Satellite I have DirecTV started a new weather network called WeatherNation. I was wondering why they had 2 round the clock weather networks. Well, the announcement came that they were dropping The Weather Channel and it's created a buzz. TWC is furious and trying to get everyone to oppose.

It will be No longer available with DirecTV after January 13th. WOW

Now... accuweather comes out saying they are launching one later in 2014. Wow. Weather wars. but this is a huge loss for TWC because they will lose 35 million+ people. Some are switching TV companies to have TWC again but others are satisfied with the new network WeatherNation.

AccuWeather Announces the Launch of the AccuWeather Channel in Q3 2014

Last edited by Cambium; 01-13-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM

If you want to help keep The Weather Channel on DirecTV satellite click here.

Weather Channel

Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
If they actually had weather all the time like they used to, instead of all the reality shows, this wouldn't be happening.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 AM

457 posts, read 978,763 times
OK. I've watched weathernation for a few days now. IThere is no live video coverage on weathernation. Its all weather
maps. I'd rather have the live video coverage as shown on the weather channel. Weathernation
is boring. Sorry weathercams is not going to replace the video coverage. Any other thoughts?
So tired of watching continuous in studio reporting.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 AM

Yeah I agree with both comments. TWC was in desperate need of money so they had to start those tv shows to grab and keep some attention on the network so people actually see the commercials. I hate them myself. Ever notice how many times they've changed shows?

I like the fact that weather nation airs photos from people all over. It's nice to see whats going on elsewhere. TWC only does this for Top 5. Weathernation seems more geared for the people. TWC seems robotic/commercialized.

And Weathernation doesn't shove the Global Warming/climate change talk down our throats like TWC folks do.

But I agree totally, Weathernation is boring after a few minutes, that's going to hurt them, they need some technical explainations, some enthusiastic meteos, and some live coverage.

Other than that, I think it was a bold and smart move by DirecTV.

On the other hand... I heard TWC doesn't want to pay more to stay on DirecTV so that's a bad move in my opinion

Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
OK. I've watched weathernation for a few days now. IThere is no live video coverage on weathernation. Its all weather
maps. I'd rather have the live video coverage as shown on the weather channel. Weathernation
is boring. Sorry weathercams is not going to replace the video coverage. Any other thoughts?
So tired of watching continuous in studio reporting.
People like you are the reason this is happening. Weather stations do not exist to entertain you, they are for INFORMATION. What do you need live video coverage for? To watch some Hollywood wanna be buffoon like Jim Cantore dance around in a few snowflakes to make it seem like the world is ending? People who really enjoy following the weather and are interested in the science of it are sick of that nonsense. The Weather Channel is reaping what they've sewn. They abandoned their core viewing base in favor of trendy BS and obnoxious, big mouth personalities. Now they can take their medicine. I have directv and couldn't be happier to see this happening. Just goes to show I wasn't the only one tired of TWC's crap. Funniest part was TWC claiming it was a public safety issue. Yeah, if they were really concerned about that I wouldn't have to turn on the tv and see "Prospectors" instead of a weather update. Hypocrites.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 AM

60 posts, read 142,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
People like you are the reason this is happening. Weather stations do not exist to entertain you, they are for INFORMATION. What do you need live video coverage for? To watch some Hollywood wanna be buffoon like Jim Cantore dance around in a few snowflakes to make it seem like the world is ending? People who really enjoy following the weather and are interested in the science of it are sick of that nonsense. The Weather Channel is reaping what they've sewn. They abandoned their core viewing base in favor of trendy BS and obnoxious, big mouth personalities. Now they can take their medicine. I have directv and couldn't be happier to see this happening. Just goes to show I wasn't the only one tired of TWC's crap. Funniest part was TWC claiming it was a public safety issue. Yeah, if they were really concerned about that I wouldn't have to turn on the tv and see "Prospectors" instead of a weather update. Hypocrites.
Jim Cantore and a lot of other meteorologists have put themselves in direct harm's way many times in order to show people what is happening. Remember the years of hurricanes from 2004-2008? I can remember Cantore and others in New Orleans when Katrina hit. That kind of coverage is both amazing and irreplaceable. I don't care much for the reality shows but the actual live-action weather coverage was top notch.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
You know what... I grew up GLUED to the Weather Channel and my "obsession" was more prevelant in the 90's because I knew exactly what times to watch what because they had a great format back then.

Local on the 8's
5-Day Forecast 20 min. past the hour
Tropical/Winter Weather updates 50 past the hour
Top Stories at the top and bottom of every hour

Now-a-Days... unless there's a major storm happening or some "breaking weather news" you are lucky to get much actual weather coverage because their lineup is a lot of times filled with Reality TV show marathons. Now that we have the internet and other stations that have weather coverage the Weather Channel isn't that #1 source anymore, and they need to realize that.

They evolutionized weather coverage, there's no doubt about that. But they need to get off their high horse and stop thinking that they're still the only show in town that can cover all of these major weather events going on. Has anyone logged onto their website today? 90% of it is BASHING DirecTV.... I mean really?... and any other time their website is full of crap and ads and clutter, it's not even on my top 5 weather websites to get forecasts.

I have DirecTV and at first I was shocked but now... I honestly don't care. WeatherNation may be "boring" but at least I get my 90s Weather coverage back with "boring" maps and forecasts a majority of the time... The way it should be.

Like I said earlier though... if I truly want to get my "weather fix" and get forecasts and model trends it's only a few clicks away. I don't need a TV anymore to tune into any weather station... and yes, even you Weather Channel.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
I watched TWC all the time in the 90s and early 00s. I miss the original presentation...low key, professional, on topic, etc. Now it's a complete joke. I have DirecTV and I can say I do not give a hoot about losing this channel. Good riddance.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Love The Weather Channel. It's great to fall asleep to at night watching Prospectors, Highway thru Hell, freaky nature stuff, and weather on the 8's. (Though I am a little sick of watching that guy slack-line between mountaintops.) During natural disasters they have total coverage. Glad I have cable and not satellite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather