Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: Nottingham, UK
A 0 0%
B 5 19.23%
C 7 26.92%
D 11 42.31%
F 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
The last five pages escalated quickly.
With comments mostly unrelated to the topic .

Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yup.. I dare anyone to come here in January & July and say "Oh wow, they're basically the same season!"

We have beaten to death that topic in the old London climate thread. If a place goes from an avg high of 74 in summer to 46F in winter, then it most certainly has seasons. This is just stupid to say otherwise. Relativity matters. In April when it hits 74F, people here won't be wearing jackets, or at least most won't. But if you get 74F on a cloudy wet summer day, people would. It is all what you are used to.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Yes, I agree entirely, but some people won't buy it - I won't mention anyone but they know who they are.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
With comments mostly unrelated to the topic .
Yeah I definitely noticed that, I thought I'd stay out of this particular argument!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
There used to be an open air drug market 5 miles from my house at the ghetto. They used to purchase and sell fresh weed from Mexico. Unfortunatley, they were forcibly shut down by the State and 32 people were found in connection with distribution of drugs. All of them were arrested and sentenced to 30 years to north jersey security prison without parole.
Apparently this park is in the location of a house that was demolished by the city because it was used to sell weed after multiple warnings. One instance of something good coming out of it.

https://www.port-orange.org/parks/?p...=bsmn&w=rental

Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
My definition of summer is not getting below 21C/70F at night, so it's still preposterous.

But I suppose if you grew up without hot weather you don't miss it. The July record high in Nottingham is the July average high in my hometown. Kind of mind-boggling.
But if you had grown up in the UK it would be perfectly normal for you & summers would feel warm enough... And the UK does get hot weather, it just isn't guaranteed every summer... And it is all relative, no doubt someone from Dallol would find your summer temperatures preposterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Oh stop with the stereotypes about our winters. Our winters are colder than the UK, yeah we get that. But your winters are no balmy paradise either. And your sun is so low in the sky as to be meaningless on a cold day.

The recent cold wave was just that, very bitterly cold and way below normal. What is your climate like when you fall 30F below average? Our average winter day here at 40F is not much colder than many areas of the UK with mid 40'sF temps. We get more sun in winter as well.

I didn't freeze to death when returning here after spending 2 weeks in the UK in winter, and you wouldn't either.

At least we have a guaranteed warm summer every year to look forward to instead of like Brits remembering and pining for every single warm summer.
Who rattled your cage?!? I will stop with the stereotypes, when everyone else does with the UK
And I personally would find your winters to be bone numbingly cold, coming from one of the milder areas of the UK & I would rather have cooler summers than freezing cold winters any day... But I have mild/warm winters & hot summers now anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Kentucky sun is SO different, I can't imagine how weak it must feel in England.
Then I suggest you actually visit England during the summer & lay out in the sun all day, wearing no sunscreen, & you will see just how 'weak' it is No it isn't the tropics, but I wish people would stop with these silly notions that the sun in England during the summer is so p*ss weak that you wont even feel it

Old 01-17-2014, 05:48 AM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
^^

You can sun burn anywhere if you stay out long enough. However, the UV index in England is much lower than other parts of Europe, probably close to, but below Paris or Berlin.

Quote:
The strength of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation is expressed as a Solar UV Index or Sun Index.The UV Index does not exceed 8 in the UK (8 is rare; 7 may occur on exceptional days, mostly in the two weeks around the summer solstice). Indices of 9 and 10 are common in the Mediterranean area. The Sun Index forecast refers to the daily maximum
Also most native English have a very light complexion so they would burn much more easily than other groups.

Here in the states, Chicago has a slightly higher UV index than NYC, and Philly, but is nowhere near the strength of LA, Miami, Phoenix, Dallas, or Houston. I can certainly feel the difference in the "strength" of the sun when I am in LA or Miami when compared to here.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
I've read many times on here that you can't feel the strenght of the sun in winter in England. I live at almost 49°N and can well feel the sun rays on my skin in midwinter. I doubt London is any different, given the little latitudinal difference. Ditto for Nottingham, though the latitudinal difference is bigger (4°).

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
To be honest it's sunny today and in Buxton it's hard to notice the sun really until March. I'd rather have mild and cloudy in winter than sunny and cold.... the sun makes no difference.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Are you serious?! Hahaha you don't know much do you?
I'm curious if you ever get sunburnt in London or ever need to wear suncream? I knew a black woman down there who said she needed to put cream on if she was going to be out in the sun in summer, but I'd be surprised if she was typical.

As for me, I used to get sunburnt fairly easily - I even did once at 61N up in Finland - but it hasn't been a problem the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather