Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Victoria, BC, Canada vs. Sochi, Russia
Victoria 16 38.10%
Sochi 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times

Advertisements

Victoria

Sunnier drier summer.

Sochi summer I bet very humid and uncomfortable.
3x more rain is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,273 times
Default "rainless southern oregon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin34 View Post
Still several days/month with measurable rainfall; rainless would be California, away from the influence of the SW monsoon, and southern Oregon.
FWIW and just to be ( probably annoyingly) precise---PARTS of southern Oregon are quite dry in regards to total annual precip.---roughly 20" annual for Medford roughly 90 miles inland with essentially rainless summers for example while Brookings on the coast is rather damp with about 60" total rainfall (but still basically rainless summers as both place have a basically Mediterranean wet winter/dry summer pattern). sorry if I am stating the blindingly obvious and what everybody else already knows but just in case.... of course, so far both places and most other parts of the west coast of north America have been exceptionally dry this winter and may even better fit Qillin34's description, LOL.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-16-2014 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: add more information to post

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
I'm really curious about the snow threshold measurements in Sochi. Does Sochi really get more snow than Victoria? 20 vs. 7.8 days? I honestly find that hard to believe. Maybe someone can shed some light on this...

Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
FWIW and just to be ( probably annoyingly) precise---PARTS of southern Oregon are quite dry in regards to total annual precip.---roughly 20" annual for Medford roughly 90 miles inland with essentially rainless summers for example while Brookings on the coast is rather damp with about 60" total rainfall (but still basically rainless summers as both place have a basically Mediterranean wet winter/dry summer pattern). sorry if I am stating the blindingly obvious and what everybody else already knows but just in case.... of course, so far both places and most other parts of the west coast of north America have been exceptionally dry this winter and may even better fit Qillin34's description, LOL.
My fault here...I was thinking of the I-5 corridor, not the sparsely populated Coast Range part of the Pacific Coast, and from the SF Bay Area on southward, definitely rainless summers. I don't know the climatic gradient from the Bay Area to Eureka, to be frank...

Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM

233 posts, read 333,310 times
Victoria for colder winters and less precipitation days.
Sochi is too wet for me! 189 days... No thanks!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Sochi for living.

Victoria for visiting. With its mild weather year-round, it's a nice place (on a sunny day!) to sit by the waterfront and sip a drink.
I'm thinking the opposite, Sochi for visiting (during Olympics maybe).
Victoria for living.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
Victoria for cooler summers.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:34 AM

60 posts, read 64,741 times
Although Sochi is a little wet, but it has much better temperatures than Victoria.
In fact, Victoria's summers are even cooler than London and San Fran, with an average high below 70F in its warmest month. Nights are incredibly cool, lows are in the 50s, which is definitely cool enough to wear a coat.
Sochi's summers are really nice, temperatures are warm enough to wear T shirt and shorts but not hot at all. Average rainy days are similar to NYC with plenty of sunshine.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:47 AM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm really curious about the snow threshold measurements in Sochi. Does Sochi really get more snow than Victoria? 20 vs. 7.8 days? I honestly find that hard to believe. Maybe someone can shed some light on this...
I guess only a flake of snow is needed to be considered a snow day in Sochi. In Victoria (and Canada) some accumulation is necessary for that.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:02 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
I voted for Sochi as I prefer warmer temperatures overall as it trumps rainfall for me (Vic is drier, Sochi is warmer). Both to me are pretty decent climates though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather