Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times

Advertisements

Planet Earth.

If there ever was an "average climate" the average of all the earth's climates would be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The southern end of the Blue Banana owns the NW end climate-wise. The worst of the bunch is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. The best is probably either Regensburg or Varese.

I would say Genoa has the best climate of the Blue Banana cities, with London 2nd. The rest of the cities are too cold in winter, or have dreadful summers like Manchester or Liverpool.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Planet Earth.

If there ever was an "average climate" the average of all the earth's climates would be it.
Surely it can't be like that broken down month by month, given how different NH and SH climates are? And how is the diurnal range that low?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
I'd pick Denver. It epitomizes not only the seasonal but day-to-day variability of most of North America, where almost any kind of weather is possible, which constitutes both my current and formative experience with climate.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Maybe my wording was confusing.

What I mean is for you all, what would be the climate with "references values" on which you're basing your (subjective) opinions of what is mild, cold, warm, sunny, cloudy, dry, etc.?

Regardless of what actual averages are, I personally consider winters with average highs above 10°C mild, and the rest cool. Hence, 10°C represents a value that I consider neither mild or cold for a winter high. It's my own "standard value" for judging a climate.

This doesn't mean it's your ideal value. Like take Patricius Maximus*, his idea of a "normal" winter might be -15/-5°C, even though it's colder than the vast majority of the US (and as such he would judge this vast majority of the country as having mild winters), while his ideal one is a "particularly cold" winter (-25°C..).

I don't care about planet wide or continent wide averages.

*Numbers might not be accurate, just guessing

Last edited by dhdh; 02-03-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Surely it can't be like that broken down month by month, given how different NH and SH climates are? And how is the diurnal range that low?
Nobody knows exactly how it would really be broken down. It is an approximation. There is no "diurnal range" as such as it is a composite of all the temperatures on all the earth at any time, obviously one side will be in daylight while the other is in darkness. It is just an average of all the rainfall and all the temperature on earth for whatever point in time. It is not an actual climate of one location.

But if there "was" an actual "average" climate it would be something not dissimilar to that would it?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Nobody knows exactly how it would really be broken down. It is an approximation. There is no "diurnal range" as such as it is a composite of all the temperatures on all the earth at any time, obviously one side will be in daylight while the other is in darkness. It is just an average of all the rainfall and all the temperature on earth for whatever point in time. It is not an actual climate of one location.

But if there "was" an actual "average" climate it would be something not dissimilar to that would it?
Ah, I get you. I was thinking more of something like our CET / EWR series writ large with proper highs and lows. If there was a way to do that allowing for the fact that weather stations are nothing like equally distributed geographically then I would still expect it to be colder at this time of year due to the fact more land area is in the Northern Hemisphere.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Much of the deep south down has "normal" weather. Around 32C in the summer and 17-20C in winter for average highs.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
I would say an average climate has 4 seasons, cold winters with some snow, stormy springs, hot summer and mild falls, mean annual temp between 50-60 F, etc. Maybe a place like Kansas City or Cincinnati I would describe as an "average" climate. In North America this would correspond to latitudes 35 to about 41 N.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
I remember reading somewhere that 39 degrees latitude is the dividing line between having more solar output than input (or something along those lines, I'm looking for the article at the moment) and it kind of makes sense at least in North America, 39 degrees is roughly where Subtropical climates grade off towards more continental climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather