Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cloudy summer or cloudy winter, what is worse?
Cloudy summer 53 53.00%
Cloudy winter 47 47.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Advertisements

I like my winters cloudy, and my summers (relatively) sunny. I prefer summer months to have above 50% of possible sunshine, and winter months around 30-40% of possible sunshine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Cloudy winters would be worse. Summer is warm anyway, so cloud doesn't matter.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
It is sad to have a summer. Real summers to me mean being hot AND sunny...

Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,647 times
Clouds in a very hot summer can sometimes hide the sun rays.
Grey cloudy winter can make me depressive, a winter with a very blue sky is perfect.

I prefer a sunny and rainy climate year round with a lot of warm rain in the summer mixed with good sunshine hours and hot temperatures.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 AM

753 posts, read 837,973 times
Cloudy winter is definitely worse for me. Generally speaking, when the days are short and the temperatures are chilly or cold I like to have as much sunshine as possible, and when the days are long, the sun angle's high, and temperatures are hot that's when I like to have more clouds, rain, and thunderstorm.

I certainly wouldn't want a perpetually overcast summer, but I also don't like endless blue dome days during the warm season. I like summer to have a good mix of sun and cloud, so for me a cloudy summer isn't a bad thing - again, as long as it isn't perpetually overcast, and as long as the temperatures are decent.

On the other hand, I really dislike cloudy winters (assuming it's a "real" winter). I'll put up with cloudy winters if they're relatively mild like out here on the coast, and I'll put up with cold temperatures if it's dry and sunny, but cold and cloudy is a pretty awful combination for me, especially if it lasts months at a time.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Cloudy winter is definitely worse for me. Generally speaking, when the days are short and the temperatures are chilly or cold I like to have as much sunshine as possible, and when the days are long, the sun angle's high, and temperatures are hot that's when I like to have more clouds, rain, and thunderstorm.

I certainly wouldn't want a perpetually overcast summer, but I also don't like endless blue dome days during the warm season. I like summer to have a good mix of sun and cloud, so for me a cloudy summer isn't a bad thing - again, as long as it isn't perpetually overcast, and as long as the temperatures are decent.

On the other hand, I really dislike cloudy winters (assuming it's a "real" winter). I'll put up with cloudy winters if they're relatively mild like out here on the coast, and I'll put up with cold temperatures if it's dry and sunny, but cold and cloudy is a pretty awful combination for me, especially if it lasts months at a time.
Ditto !

A hot summer with a good combination of warm rain, thunderstorms and good sunshine hours is really good.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
It is sad to have a summer. Real summers to me mean being hot AND sunny...

Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised when I vote for cloudy summers being worse. Summers are supposed to be dry and sunny (and warm to hot of course) IMO.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised when I vote for cloudy summers being worse. Summers are supposed to be dry and sunny (and warm to hot of course) IMO.
No it's depend the climate, I prefer a hot, humid and sunny summer with warm rain than a poor dry borring summer (not the feature of a real summer in my opinion).
A summer without thunderstorms and short warm rain = bad summer.
Dry and sunny summer is a very boring summer, so boring than a cool overcast summer of oceanic climate.

And a grey cloudy winter can make me depressive.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post

Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather