Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
West 30 46.88%
East 34 53.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,265,333 times

Advertisements

Eastern sides of continents have much more unconfortable climatical conditions compared to thir equivalents in western sides. With colder winterś and their hot warm/seasons is very humid which makes it uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
East (it has a chance of lukewarm ocean water, in a subtropicall bordering temperate (35-43) latitude, like east US it also means winter snow instead of frigid 35-40 degree rain)

Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
I actually prefer the western sides in a like-for-like contest: by my standards, on western sides the subtropical climates are better, the maritime climates are more common (the former two being mostly due to the Mediterranean precip pattern), the continental climates are better, the boreal climates are better, and the polar climates are better. True, climates are shifted higher in latitude as compared to the eastern sides, but I don't mind higher latitude daylight patterns, and during colder climate periods the cold climates are at as low of a latitude on the western sides as they are today on the eastern sides.

High altitude also creates better climates on the western sides than it manages to do on the eastern sides. High elevation and rain shadows can overcome the moderating effects of western sides, creating colder and drier climates with similar precipitation patterns. We see this at work in the U.S. and Canada, whose western halves are climatically superior to their eastern halves. Since there is more moisture to work with there is more room for geography to create superior climate types in western parts of continents, as well as a greater variety of climate types. The Western U.S. has the likes of the temperate rainforest, alpine climates with prolific snows, deserts, steppes, and Yellowstone-type climates. The Eastern U.S. would not have this climatic landscape even with the same geography.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM

1,011 posts, read 715,911 times
Westerns sides.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
The west side for sure.

I hate the overall continental influence, wetness & high humidity of the east side. They're also either too hot in the summer & too cold in the winter - no mildness. Seriously, Myrtle Beach and Atlanta, with their tropical like summers they would sometimes see snow in the winter - yikes! Same thing with Shanghai

While we are on the east side too, we're rather distinct to other cities there (mild winters, warm summers, lower humidity).

Ask me in winter I say west coast, ask me in summer I say east coast lol. Seriously though I much prefer east coast at my latitude because I get a great summer with decently warm ocean water, thundstorms and dewpoints with warm summer nights. I detest cool summer nights.

Summer ocean temps are important to me. Sydney and Perth have cold water given their latitude. Same for Cali, NW Europe, NZ, etc. I'll take our east coast summers any day over the west coast. West coasters get the better deal in winter, but that is about it. Come the rest of the year east is far better imo.

Places like Myrtle and North Carolina on the other hand have amazingly warm water in summer. You walk right in and it literally feels heated. You have to go north into tropical Queensland to match the water temp in Myrtle Beach in summer (82-84F or 28.3C). Certainly no where on the west coast of Europe or even North Africa comes close to Myrtle surf temps in summer.

The nights in summer along the southeast US coast are incredibly warm and salubrious feeling. Heck I remember leaving an air conditioned movie theatre in Ft. Lauderdale even in January and coming out into a 75F night felt soooo good.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
definitely the eastern side. higher humidity hotter summers and a variety of climates and extreme weather!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:20 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I find eastern sides to be more interesting climate-wise.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
East. Summer and winter are supposed to be $#%$%^ different. I live on an east side at 36 N, and the seasons are still not different enough. 41.7 F / 23.1 C difference between January and July is GETTING there though.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 AM

578 posts, read 592,080 times
Western sides, though in Australia I'd pick eastern if I had to choose (south-eastern in particular).

Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times
Western sides
I thought we're not just comparing the diect coast, but the whole western and eastern side.
All of Europe is the western side of the Eurasian landmass.
And the Southwestern deserts of North America are also on the western side.
There is simply a far bigger selection of climates on western sides.

The summers are only colder, if you're directly on the western coast of North America.(Or on the Atlantic Coast of Europe)
If you drive a little bit away from the coast , you get summers as warm as those you have on the eastern side at the same latitude.
And yes the summer water temperatures are colder, on the Atlantic coast of Europe and the Pacific Coast of North America.
But the summer water temperatures of the mediterranean are warmer than those on the east coast of North America and Asia.

45°N
Venice:Venice Sea Temperature March Average, Italy Water Temperatures
Saint John: Saint John Sea Temperature March Average, Canada Water Temperatures
Terney: Terney Sea Temperature March Average, Russia Water Temperatures

40°N
Thessaloniki: Thessaloníki Sea Temperature March Average, Greece Water Temperatures
Staten Island: Staten Island Sea Temperature March Average, United States Water Temperatures
Qinhuangdao:Qinhuangdao Sea Temperature March Average, China Water Temperatures

At 35°N The eastern coast of NA seems to catch up
Ayia Napa: Ayia Napa Sea Temperature March Average, Cyprus Water Temperatures
Fairfield Harbour:Fairfield Harbour Sea Temperature March Average, United States Water Temperatures
Qingdao: Qingdao Sea Temperature March Average, China Water Temperatures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather