Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,816 times

Advertisements

figs are plumping out nicely but i haven't seen any cherries .

sounds a bit rude that lol

i will have to check the gardens

Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
The high so far is 9.8C, the low might fall down to 2C. Statistically it's this cold in early June twice per century.

Crap April, crap May. When will this ****e end?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Summer, Kilpisjärvi-style! A mere 66 cm of snow on the ground there now, current temperature 1.5C just after 15:30.

I'm surprised there are any trees in the area at all if they are still bare at this time of year.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Summer, Kilpisjärvi-style! A mere 66 cm of snow on the ground there now, current temperature 1.5C just after 15:30.

I'm surprised there are any trees in the area at all if they are still bare at this time of year.
Finland endures coldest May in nearly half a century | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

Finland endures coldest May in nearly half a century

As many people resident in Finland already know, May was an exceptionally cold month. According to the Finnish Meteorological Institute FMI, the last time May daytime temperatures were this low was in 1969.

Up north, average temperatures for the month came in at two degrees. Just one year ago, the average for the region was 8.6 degrees Celsius, FMI said Thursday.
In Rovaniemi average temperatures were three degrees lower than usual – reaching just five degrees Celsius. In Savukoski, Lapland temparatures deviated from the long term average by 2.7 degrees, making the average come in under four degrees.

Deviation from normal:

Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I've got the same problem as you. I grew up going to the French south, and also spent some time on the atlantic side, where sand reigns supreme, and I find pebbles to be a pain in the ass (well, litterally). Unfortunately here pebbles are very common, and when there's sand the beach is not free because almost every part of the italian coast has been privatized.

I have been to Greece but mostly in the north. Spain also looks better than here.
Yeah ocean beaches have higher wave energy, so no pebbles.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
But they don't seem continuous for miles on end. And I found pebbly beaches and ugly water north of Altea:

https://goo.gl/maps/gVZB28oypgS2

To be fair Spain does have some nice beaches, but I just think Greece has the best. I had some friends go to Italy last summer and tell me the water was nice but the beaches where they went on Capri were a little less than desirable because of pebbly rocky areas.

I was disappointed a beach I always wanted to visit in Croatia is pebbles also:

https://goo.gl/maps/JGwpywUnkZU2
I was just in Croatia this past week and the beaches were absolutely gorgeous regardless of the pebbles. I wouldn't skip out on it simply because of that, you'll miss out. Trust me.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
In that pic maybe looks like that for the poor quality plus the agitated sea?

Yes, a couple of dozens of kms on the coast they're rocky beaches but then from Calpe to Javea and then from Denia all the way to Valencia are sandy beaches. Just like from Benidorm (few kms from me) all the way to Alicante. Near me most beaches are crystal clear near the coast just like the pics I posted before. More pics:

source: VENTA CHALET ESTILO MODERNO - MarDenia Inmobiliaria. Tu inmobiliaria de confianza.MarDenia Inmobiliaria. Tu inmobiliaria de confianza.

source: Spanje | Costa Blanca | Busticket heen en terug | 12 dagen

Those are Calpe and Moraira, both with clear waters and sand beaches.

Altea just like Alfaz or Javea has those pebbly beaches but also with clear water. Javea:

Source: nicolas | Villa Costa Blanca

A really few kms south of me I have this:

source: https://www.vuelaviajes.com/las-mejo...s-de-benidorm/

Although none of these are even in the top 50 of most beautiful Spanish beaches so btw.
I realize Spain has nice beaches, but viewing google images taken right on beaches there are still a lot of pebbly beaches and long stretches of rock coastline with no sand. Also areas with brownish water. Barcelona beaches felt and looked like silt to me, while Sitges was much nicer. I still prefer Greece based on many friends recommendations.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

Wow. That could easily be January or February 1st and the difference wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I was just in Croatia this past week and the beaches were absolutely gorgeous regardless of the pebbles. I wouldn't skip out on it simply because of that, you'll miss out. Trust me.
Aesthetically yes I agree. I grew up with sandy beaches and prefer sand for swimming in and playing volleyball, walking along, etc or just laying about. I always thought that spit was sand and not pebbles.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Lol, go to hell with your beaches, pebbles and bright waters. REAL beaches are solid rock and brown-greenish water.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather