Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 03:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Ah, the avenue of oaks.

I'd rather a walk here:

Image from www.camerazzi.net
Jacaranda trees are zone 9 flora, and thus can grow successfully in NOLA, H-Town, Corpus Christi, etc.

Oh, I forgot the - in front of the 5C I posted in reply to another poster. NOLA never averages a high of -5C during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Boke. Spanish moss looks disgusting. Like some tropical snake would come down and strangle me.
But it is an example of a tropical American plant that THRIVES the South, while would shrivel up, and die in the cold European climate.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 04-23-2014 at 03:22 PM..

9,264 posts, read 7,406,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Just a couple of years ago, in 2012. Ok, that was the only time in 26 years.

Boke. Spanish moss looks disgusting. Like some tropical snake would come down and strangle me.
Yeah, doesn't really look like a subtropical plant at all.

In fact, that picture looks like it could be at some horrible oceanic climate at 60N

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Just saw this now. Remember this is the weather forum, a discussion on the non-meterological merits or lack of the south, Christianity or Canada belong in other forums.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Has Rome ever gotten snow? Posting way old photos of snowstorms there doesn't change the fact of what actually grows in the city, and what the temps are like on an average basis.

I just proved how much warmer NOLA is compared to Nice.

You Canadians have an obvious climate envy going on, lol, as your whole country is one huge ice box. How is that for generalization?

Remind me where in Canada someone can grow their own citrus in their backyard as they do in that icebox of Houston or New Orleans.

Again, why don't Canadians stay away if the climate is so rubbish. I saw loads of Alberta license plates around Gulf Shores. Stop buying up our real estate down here for your winter getaways.

I stood in line for the St. Charles Line streetcar only to listen to a bunch of Canucks go on about the problems in the US all within earshot of many Americans and they knew it. How rude. Stay in your icebox, or at least be decent guests in a country your visiting and don't insult the hosts standing around you.
Rome is not a Subtropical Climate, this thread is not talking about Mediterranean climate.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:25 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Oh, I forgot the - in front of the 5C I posted in reply to another poster. NOLA never averages a high of -5C during winter.

Yeah and?? There are many sub tropical climates which don't even average a low below 0C during the winter, let alone -5C!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Yeah, doesn't really look like a subtropical plant at all.

In fact, that picture looks like it could be at some horrible oceanic climate at 60N
Utter bunk, and you know it.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...ter-rogers.jpg
http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x...sa_1782128.jpg
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/imag...pressswamp.jpg
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/m...addlefish1.jpg
http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralT...mBeauchamp.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...60_796325c.jpg

Please, tell me that these pics don't look subtropical, and please be reasonable with yourself. The swamps of the Coastal US South can pass for the Amazon Jungle in multiple pics.

Quote:
Yeah and?? There are many sub tropical climates which don't even average a low below 0C during the winter, let alone -5C!
You were never a part of the conversation to begin with (it was with the poster who claimed that New Orleans had day time temps of -5c during winter, such nonsense), so don't be nosy.

Go look up ancient manuscripts of the Mound Builders, and you would see that Eastern North America had a very warm subtropical region surpassing even those of Africa.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM

341 posts, read 341,266 times
My pics from last years trip to Ocala, near Orlando. Climate there is pretty similiar to this in NO (highs in Winter are ~5 degrees Celsius higher in Orlando, this is the biggest difference actually. Result:

Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
That is true yes, but then everywhere in the southern hemisphere is colder than it would be otherwise for its latitude because of a lack of landmass/ocean influence.

It's not that most places on the eastern side of the US are cold for their latitude, it's more the fact that their winters are colder and a lot more susceptible to cold than most other areas. This is also true for eastern Asia, but I just find it astonishing that places that far south as 30N can reach temperatures so low, when many places in western Europe will have warmer record lows.

I agree they get the extreme anomalies other areas don't. We talked about that on this forum, or at least I did, all winter. However, I don't think the "average" temps are that cold for the latitude. New Orleans avg winter max/min over the three winter months is 64/46.5F vs 67/48F in Coffs Harbor. Is that really that much colder?

Agreed about Western Europe as well, but those same places in Western Europe cannot grow anywhere near the vegetation that New Orleans can. Show me a photo of a backyard in London with huge trees loaded with oranges, lol? Where are the Queen Palms in London?

Using your logic I could claim that London has horrible cold summers since Heathrow averages 11.3 days a summer (June thru August) with a high temp less than 65F. Actually Heathrow averages over the last thirty years 1.9 days a summer with a max temp below 60F. London averages more days with high temps in the 60'sF in summer than temps over 77F (35 days per year vs 26). Would I be accurate in saying that London has terrible cold summers because of that? No I wouldn't, cause those temps are infrequent. Same in New Orleans.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
This is where I went for my morning walk:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e-oaks-sc1.jpg

Observe the picture closely; notice the lush, green, and fantastical landscape, complete with thick spanish moss hanging from the trees; a picture perfect day in the subtropical paradise that is the Coastal Deep South.
You are lying.

That photo has been retouched. Spanish Moss is grey not green.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Yet all you yanks can go galavantin' all across Europe/the Globe and then expect everyone to understand English and be like your jolly good old U.S.A.

There is a reason why so many Americans wear a Canadian flag on their backpack when travelling.

Lol that old canard. Show me the proof in numbers. How many do that? I certainly didn't, and no one I know has ever done such a thing. You Canadians cling to that to boost your self esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather