Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times

Advertisements

Seattle, USA / Lugo, Spain

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...s-seattle.html
They are near identical, apart from the significant difference in both cities record low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:48 AM

607 posts, read 649,007 times
New York City and Ljubljana, Slovenia are really close, except for notably cooler summer nights in the latter city;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubljana

NYC also has much warmer record highs in the winter. But in terms of average max temp, and precipitation they seem really very similar.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:55 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
What is written in the wiki article seems to be only a bad mistake; to obtain the figure of 3300 mm, the inches of snowfall have simply been added to the inches of precipitation, while the precipitation should already include the snowfall. You can look at this link for details and browse some stations: with the same method, for example, Anchorage would have a precipitation of more than 1800 mm and Valdez more than 9000!
It is true that Bergen's averages have changed a bit in the last years, but I still find Sitka the best match for Bergen.

However, there are some other similar places in British Columbia, like Port Hardy, Bonilla Island and Egg Island.

Ps. in my previous message I've used wiki average but only for convenience; averages may greatly differ in different years and the data themselves may be wrong (as it often happens on wiki).
Thank you for the added places in British Columbia. I have looked at them and both Bonilla and Egg are more oceanic compared to Bergen, with lower daily high in summer and bit warmer winter.
However, Port Hardy looks like good match for Bergen with 1981-2010 averages. So for me it is now the match Bergen and Port Hardy.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There is no twin climate in the US for my climate here. Some places are reasonably close for temperatures, but have completely different rainfall/sunshine patterns.

NW Spain would be the only close place, but even it has some fundamental differences.
NW Spain still had their thundery season in summer, so it's way different to your location as once you said that your thundery season is in winter.

Maybe southern coastal areas from portuguese Algarve to Gibraltar strait could fit better, as they have the thundery season from November to January. Take a look there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/34618221-post26.html

Old 05-04-2014, 01:58 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
NW Spain still had their thundery season in summer, so it's way different to your location as once you said that your thundery season is in winter.

Maybe southern coastal areas from portuguese Algarve to Gibraltar strait could fit better, as they have the thundery season from November to January. Take a look there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/34618221-post26.html
NW Spain also has much cloudier winters than summers, which doesn't happen here. It's still the bestmatch anywhere in the world though, and much closer than anything in North America.

Algarve to Gibraltar is much warmer, sunnier and drier than here and wouldn't be a good match.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 PM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
You won't find an exact analogue for Vancouver and Seattle in northwest Europe. If Seattle and Vancouver weren't surrounded by mountains, their climates would be purely oceanic. Instead, they sit in the "rain shadow" of coastal mountains (Seattle even more so). The effect is that they basically have a split personality: Winter is oceanic (with occasional cold snaps when continental air sneaks through the mountain gaps) and summer is almost California-like, with surprisingly dry and sunny weather. There isn't really an analogous climate in Europe as far as I know. You can find similar summers in coastal northern Portugal, but then the winters aren't the same (too cold/wet in Seattle). And if you find a place with a similarly cold/damp winter (like Amsterdam) the summers are completely different.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
You won't find an exact analogue for Vancouver and Seattle in northwest Europe. If Seattle and Vancouver weren't surrounded by mountains, their climates would be purely oceanic. Instead, they sit in the "rain shadow" of coastal mountains (Seattle even more so). The effect is that they basically have a split personality: Winter is oceanic (with occasional cold snaps when continental air sneaks through the mountain gaps) and summer is almost California-like, with surprisingly dry and sunny weather. There isn't really an analogous climate in Europe as far as I know. You can find similar summers in coastal northern Portugal, but then the winters aren't the same (too cold/wet in Seattle). And if you find a place with a similarly cold/damp winter (like Amsterdam) the summers are completely different.
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...s-seattle.html
I would say it's pretty close.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 AM

358 posts, read 413,259 times
Braemar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dalwhinnie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

two of the coldest towns in the british isles. quite identical in temperatures ,rain ,sunshine.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 AM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
I agree - it's the closest I've seen. But Lugo is wetter and cloudier overall, and has milder winters and warmer summer minimums. Still, it's a decent match and probably as close as possible.

I wonder about Portland, Oregon. Can't think of many good European analogues for that one either. Portland is warmer than Lugo overall but with colder record lows and much more sun. Also drier summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather