Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is hotter in July and August?
Rome 18 51.43%
Washington DC 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM

529 posts, read 556,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
September is like summer still for both cities in a way
In a way you're right as far as Rome is concerned.
Temperature wise September is pretty much like June.
But:
1. days are much shorter
2. September is also much wetter and it's not that rare that ends up being the wettest month of the year ( happens about 10% of the years).

In short it feels to us rather different from June, July and August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
In a way you're right as far as Rome is concerned.
Temperature wise September is pretty much like June.
But:
1. days are much shorter
2. September is also much wetter and it's not that rare that ends up being the wettest month of the year ( happens about 10% of the years).

In short it feels to us rather different from June, July and August.
Oh I know it is definitely different, the dry season breaks and it can still be warm but never reliably dry like mid summer.

It's the same here, September can often feel like summer still, with temperatures staying up until the end of the month, but somehow it just isn't the same with shorter days.

Although in Rome at 40N, September still has a pretty moderate sun strength and is still definitely beach weather

Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
I was specifically speaking climatology here. I know May and September can be very warm (even here) and have many days "feel like summer". Chicago/MDW has an average max of 24.2C in September which would feel like summer for someone in London. Phoenix has a September average max of 37C.... However summer in the Northern Hemisphere is defined June-Aug

In still interested to here Rams thoughts about Urbre not being a good representation of Rome's center (according to two Romans). Would he use the other station for Rome if it's a better match and thus concede that Rome is cooler in july and August

Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Oh I know it is definitely different, the dry season breaks and it can still be warm but never reliably dry like mid summer.

It's the same here, September can often feel like summer still, with temperatures staying up until the end of the month, but somehow it just isn't the same with shorter days.

Although in Rome at 40N, September still has a pretty moderate sun strength and is still definitely beach weather
Rome is at 41.9 N...
In the first half of the month beaches are still fairly crowded; in the second half the weather is definitely cooler and more unsettled and the number of beach-goers will accordingly dwindle.
Most beach-related activities will close shop by the 30th.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM

^^

Rome's latitude makes it's average highs in the summer (regardless of what station you use ) that much more impressive to me. The latitude is almost identical to that of Chicago, is really void of any continental impacts yet it sees high temps similar to that of DC which is at 38.8N

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Doesn't matter what you wear, what you feel or what's going on outside, weather doesn't look at the calendar...

Northern Hemisphere Meterological Seasons...

Spring = March, April, May
Summer = June, July, August
Fall = September, October, November
Winter = December, January, February

So if you're weather averages are warmer in September than another location you have a warm Fall month, not summer.

Doesn't matter if you're average is 100F/38C or 50F/10C, or if you're wearing a bikini mid September, September is considered a Fall month in the Meteorological weather world.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Rome's latitude makes it's average highs in the summer (regardless of what station you use ) that much more impressive to me. The latitude is almost identical to that of Chicago, is really void of any continental impacts yet it sees high temps similar to that of DC which is at 38.8N
Yes, places in the US that are basically at the same latitude as Rome are:
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Providence, Rhode Island
Chicago, Illinois
Etc.

But what is impressive is not so much Rome's summers as Rome's winters: Chicago in January is 20F colder than Rome!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,971 times
Quote:
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Providence, Rhode Island
Chicago, Illinois
Etc.

But what is impressive is not so much Rome's summers as Rome's winters: Chicago in January is 20F colder than Rome!
Even slightly colder than Stockholm in December and January which is further north! Although they are more prone to heat in mid winter, whereas the cold here is rather consistent..

Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Providence, Rhode Island
Chicago, Illinois
Etc.

^^

That's our more continental nature. Rome has the moderating effect of the Med. Yet in my opinion, we aren't continental enough thanks to the moderating effects of Lake Michigan (on a much smaller scale than the Med).

My idea of a perfect climate in terms of temps (though I would want it more humid in the summer, and with more snow in the winter) would be a place such as Fort Pierre SD at 44N. Not one month, but TWO months that average a high above 90F/32.2C. Winter max temps similar to Chicago while their minimums are colder.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 08-01-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-29-2022, 01:21 PM

15 posts, read 6,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It's not an assumption. It's a fact based on the data provided by the thread started for Urbre, and what I provided for the Arboretum. If the thread starter presented 1981-2010 data that showed the Urbre site warmer, then that would be a fact as well. Do you have them? No. I don't either so we can only guess what the new data is.

I don't know if you saw this, but I agreed with this statement.

As you can see here

How does this make me bias again?

Did you ever stop to think that certain stations even if they are geographically close might have other influences which might not make them a good representation of the area? In this case the center of Rome...

Maybe the chap from Rome, might have a good idea about that.

So was your intention to find the station that was more representative of Rome center, or the station with the highest average max in all of the Rome metro area?

As a side note, compared with Roma Ciampino, the average number of 35C/95F+ which above states 4.4 days, at the Arboretum it is 12 days

NATIONAL ARBORETUM DC, MARYLAND - Climate Summary

I dug them up for the Arboretum, but I'm not entirely sure these are 100% accurate

June:29.1C
July:31.6C
Aug: 30.8C

3 month summer period: 30.5C

If these are accurate for the 1971-2000 period then Urbre is hotter then the Arboretum in August, but the Arboretum had a slight edge in July, and apparently the max in June is higher in DC for that reference period. I would like to know what Urbre's 3 month summer max temps is for the 1971-2000 period.
Very telling that a European got mad at you for being an “American who will never admit that a place in Europe is warmer”. That epitomizes all of the “US so cold, can’t grow anything” weirdness on this forum, it’s Europeans writing their own fanfiction about the US to assuage a weird inferiority complex they have about living in cooler climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather