Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 05:17 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It has been cooler here. High temps have been quite stable around 65-70F and lows anything between 43 and 60F.

Average hi so far for my location in September is 19.7C/67.5F and lo 9.4C/49F.

I think it's more how the nature is used to. It has been very sunny as well. We peak in early October, but then it's a quick downfall. On 1 November the trees are bare.

North West Europe has different tree species to the NE of the United States.
Our trees would change colour slowly over several weeks, their trees would change colour abruptly over a week or so.

So really what is happening is that they are only catching up with us now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 AM

In saying that it is a mixture of trees here. There are Japanese trees here and they lost their leaves weeks ago.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
In August we had 5 nights in the 40s... and ALL of our nights were in the 50s.. and I had a low of 4c last night. So um you are way way behind in temperatures aswell. You just have different species of trees..
How is that very different from Cambium's temperatures? How many nights in the 40s did you have in September? Yours nights were no cooler than his so far:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

You really need to check and source your statements before making very confident statements.

We had 3 lows around 4°C in the last week, 5 lows in the 40s last August. August doesn't matter, very few trees are changing whatever August does. Our trees have barely changed, so maybe it is latitude.

Quote:
It has been cooler here. High temps have been quite stable around 65-70F and lows anything between 43 and 60F.

Average hi so far for my location in September is 19.7C/67.5F and lo 9.4C/49F.
Our average so far this month has been 75°F/50°F. But it's been cooler in the last week, with high stable around 65-70 and lows in the upper 30s or 40s. Next week looks a bit warmer, especially the lows.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:36 AM

Yeah but we've had a hot September and you have had a cold September..

Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yeah but we've had a hot September and you have had a cold September..
Aren't we comparing this September? And this foliage season?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
The foliage season is more intense here than it is in New England. We haven't had yet a single low in the 30's, but they are upon us. In October they become more frequent and the highs are in the 50's F, so the change goes very fast when it starts for real. In NE US it can drag on for longer, as you still can have highs of 70's and "warm" nights.

And the trees have also experienced tens or even a hundred autumns, they know when and how to react.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:45 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
Warm summer-like temperatures have kept leaves from changing too much but it's getting spotty now. Sun angle is quite low already even at midday.

Evey year I notice how US east coast fall photos look like midsummer to me. The respective sun angles are similar.
That's the sun angle we get around the winter solstice - pretty amazing you're getting this slope 3 months ahead of us.

You need to do a shot on a clear day as close to the winter solstice as possible, I bet those shadows would be crazy long then...lol.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Definitely agree the trees become accustomed to the environment so comparing latitude and temps is not the same in a way especially across the world..

But remember Chlorophyll(what keeps them green) slows, stops & gets destroyed with the length of night. (less sunlight). So not just about temps/moisture.

Quote:
The foliage season is more intense here than it is in New England.

In NE US it can drag on for longer, as you still can have highs of 70's and "warm" nights.
Yeah, we're a bit duller here this year because its been dry. But all the colors I'm seeing here made me curious why points so far north are almost the same. I think I answered that above (accustomed to certain weather).

We've been below normal after the 1st week of Sept and all of August was below normal so they didn't have a true full growing period in August. They slowed down because it was cool. Only 11 days in the 80s in August? Trees didn't like that.

Not sure I agree on the length of time. As I posted yesterday.. Last year we went from Semi Color to mostly bare in 4 weeks Sept-October. I thought that was quick.

This was November 8th last year

Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This was November 8th last year
7 November here last year:

Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
7 November here last year:
Nice! We should do more of these comparisons.

Was just looking though some of my old photos to get a good idea how fast we go to bare.

Top is colors/greens Sept 26, 2012. Bottom is Bare and Snow November 8, 2012.

Funny that Nov 8, 2012 photo is exactly a year before that other photo I posted from last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather