Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
so citrus should go freely in south west England coastal locations or south coast maybe ?
No, I think it's too cool for too long.

There have been citrus produced there, but I think they are exceptions. I follow gardening forums in the UK, and producing lemons is the holy grail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:06 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:

B87 is the man to ask there - i've never lived in London - but they do grow there .
Heathrow gets about 30 nights per year with frost, and most years the coldest night is -5c / 24f.

Inner London is quite a lot warmer. Days with frost = less than 10, and I'd be very surprised if the coldest night in a typical year got any lower than -2c /28f.

Loquats and kumquats grow and fruit here, and there is at least one grapefruit tree that fruits (in Chelsea). You could also grow lemon, tangerine or kaffir lime (with minor protection in outer London). I think FG said that oranges can grow and fruit in Portsmouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Olives and grapes grow well here. Peaches, cherries apricots, avocados, citrus do as well. It's a big area for pipfruit, as well as kiwifruit and wine production.
My place has got a few citrus, guava, passionfruit, papaya, plums and apples. I grow tamarillos for sale, although it hasn't been a good year. I've got one olive tree which the neighbours have just harvested.
As for the plants that Joe listed, the bolded are also easy to grow in London and the surrounding area. Italicised plants grow but don't always fruit. Olive trees are common in the suburbs, though they do not fruit regularly (though in groves they do). Passionfruit grows here (caerulea), and avocado trees grow but rarely fruit.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:12 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Plenty of frost here, with an average of 39 freezing nights a year, and an average low around -4.5C

The issue there will be that the temperature is too cool for too long -if you do get frost damage, it will be too long before regrowth.

You probably get temperatures below - 5C most years there as well, I would think. At -5C here there will usually be a bit of frost burn.
I'm surprised by the amount of frost nights you get. But as you've said the frost doesn't stick around for as long as it does here. The nights are a lot longer and it warms up slower.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm surprised by the amount of frost nights you get. But as you've said the frost doesn't stick around for as long as it does here. The nights are a lot longer and it warms up slower.
The interesting thing is how long it can stay in shaded areas. 13C/14C days after a hard frost (-8C) can still see unmelted frosts in shaded areas.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:18 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
very interesting Joe - probably tells us a little bit about some of the climate differences between here and Moteuka .

Seems the ripening is the difference which may seem strange as heat is the same in London ,although Moteuka looks to have a longer growing /ripening period and gets out the blocks earlier

Old 06-11-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
very interesting Joe - probably tells us a little bit about some of the climate differences between here and Moteuka .

Seems the ripening is the difference which may seem strange as heat is the same in London ,although Moteuka looks to have a longer growing /ripening period and gets out the blocks earlier
The fruit set is crucial, and many citrus will flower through winter. Ripening isn't really reliant on summer heat, as many citrus are ready during winter and spring.

It's too cool for too long to have reliable fruit set and ripening over there.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
a crucial mix of very mild temperatures in winter with sunshine -

Old 06-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
a crucial mix of very mild temperatures in winter with sunshine -
yep, that all that's needed.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:42 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Hey Torsh, while browsing through old photos on my phone I've learned a couple of things. One of them is that I'm a compulsive photographer who needs professional help. The other thing I've learned is that I have numerous photos of the same locations at different times of the year. This is relevant to the discussion we were having a few pages back about seasonality.

I think the's two are pretty good since they happened to have been taken in the same location, at the same time (6:20am), and exactly 6 months apart. One is from early December and the other is from early June. Nothing remarkable, but I think it's quite an interesting contrast:

December 2016

June 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather