Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 03:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Ipswich is cooler than Wellington in summer? The climate boxes make Ispwich appear noticeably warmer during the summer.
For daily means, Wellington is warmer.

We should probably specify if we're talking max/min or daily means.

Wellington's weather station is very exposed to the coastal elements -inland parts of the city are in the 23C+ range, and the warmest parts of the urban authority are in the 24C+ range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:21 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
NZ includes some very cool locations as well -cooler than England.

Ipswich is slightly cooler than Wellington in summer., so that would be like saying Wellington is warmer than the NZ average north of Christchurch - which I wouldn't think is correct.
I would say Wellington is a fair bit warmer than the NZ average because of the very warm nights - you maybe should be looking at the day max .

In reality Wellington would feel colder than Ipswich all summer (unless i was bat ) because of the colder maximums - i would generally be in bed during the wee hours . It's the daytime hours i would be noticing -

Plus the notorious Wellington Force 12 gales - but that's another story

Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
For daily means, Wellington is warmer.

We should probably specify if we're talking max/min or daily means.
Fair enough, but during the times when people are most active, Ipswich will feel warmer to live in. The lows occur at bizarre hours, although for someone such as yourself who is interested in horticulture, I can imagine that average temperatures are the most important consideration?

Edit, I see what you've added, is there any official data for those claims that inland areas of the city have highs above 24C?

Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Napier is a good warm example

Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 PM

I'm surprised B87 hasn't pitched in with London - that has warmer minimums

Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Napier is a good warm example
Hastings is pretty good for daytime highs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastin...hy_and_climate

I bet Napier is among the best for growing plants.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
I'm surprised B87 hasn't pitched in with London - that has warmer minimums
Give it time, he's probably out somewhere in that urban heat island as we speak

Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM

5,742 posts, read 3,519,710 times
I would be grateful if someone could post actual numbers for all of these places (Nelson, Wellington, Ipswich, etc). I'm getting confused by all of the nuances: daily mean vs average max, inland vs coastal, etc.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I would be grateful if someone could post actual numbers for all of these places (Nelson, Wellington, Ipswich, etc). I'm getting confused by all of the nuances: daily mean vs average max, inland vs coastal, etc.
It doesn't seem like anyone can agree on what stations to use for each location. You reference a certain average and then apparently the station is a poor reflection of the location compared to somewhere else, which it very well may be, but if that's the case then someone should create more boxes on the wiki pages. I would but I'm not yet very good at finding raw data.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
we're all confused Ed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather