Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 03:47 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times

Advertisements

What i would be interested to know is NZ's coldest summer location vs Englands coldest summer location at sea level - i'm not even sure which English station is the coldest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Fair enough, but during the times when people are most active, Ipswich will feel warmer to live in. The lows occur at bizarre hours, although for someone such as yourself who is interested in horticulture, I can imagine that average temperatures are the most important consideration?

Edit, I see what you've added, is there any official data for those claims that inland areas of the city have highs above 24C?
funnily enough ,our old friend Portsmouth beats Wellington on the mean figures lol

Portsmouths summers warmer than Ipswich taking into account overnight lows

Old 06-09-2017, 03:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
March and November. Cool to mild overall, with occasional cold and warmth.

I think most people know NYC has a four season climate, but the cold/snow is typically overstated, while summer's warmth/humidity is generally understated. Our stereotype isn't as bad as London's, but it usually isn't accurate.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
November for sure.... wettest month and very gloomy too.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:27 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
March and November. Cool to mild overall, with occasional cold and warmth.

I think most people know NYC has a four season climate, but the cold/snow is typically overstated, while summer's warmth/humidity is generally understated. Our stereotype isn't as bad as London's, but it usually isn't accurate.
NYC's stereotype makes it seem like it has the climate of Schefferville, Quebec.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
It doesn't seem like anyone can agree on what stations to use for each location. You reference a certain average and then apparently the station is a poor reflection of the location compared to somewhere else, which it very well may be, but if that's the case then someone should create more boxes on the wiki pages. I would but I'm not yet very good at finding raw data.
I haven't seen any examples of that by anyone - if the context is understood by all, then any factors that raise or lower temperature, sunshine etc, are just relevant information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
What i would be interested to know is NZ's coldest summer location vs Englands coldest summer location at sea level - i'm not even sure which English station is the coldest
Invercargill has 9.6C/18.7C as it's warmest summer month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
funnily enough ,our old friend Portsmouth beats Wellington on the mean figures lol

Portsmouths summers warmer than Ipswich taking into account overnight lows
I not seeing the humour here - Wellington is up there between England's finest summers, even though it isn't well regarded in NZ for it's summer. It's also making a point that I'm not trying to debate -it's easy to show that some UK summers are better than some NZ summers.

My original point is that summer is the only comparable season between the UK and NZ, and even in summer, there's an obvious difference - between a NZ and UK climate that have the same summer temperature, the NZ climate will typically have one and sometimes two autumn /spring months warmer than one of the UK climates summer months - in fairness to the UK's climate, only the two warmest months should count.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:02 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Have you managed to find those other figures for Wellington yet?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Have you managed to find those other figures for Wellington yet?
What figures?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What figures?
Does Wellington have inland stations? You suggested that some areas of the city have average summer highs of 23/24C. I just want to see the data, would be interesting if true.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Does Wellington have inland stations? You suggested that some areas of the city have average summer highs of 23/24C. I just want to see the data, would be interesting if true.
Wellington's not that big--it's no Los Angeles, for example. So there cannot be a huge difference.

Perhaps Lower Hutt is indicative of "inland" Wellington: it has highs of 22.6°C in its warmest month (February).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Hutt#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather