Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:30 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,229 times

Advertisements

well Joe, just for the record - my towns 'almost' exact fit abroad ( outside of France/Europe obviously) is actually in NZ , as opposed to USA ,Canada,Japan,Argentina or Tasmania .

Seems to be around 20 miles inland from Dunedin , not as far in as Alexandra ...somewhere between Middlemarch in a line going up just a few short miles .

Would love to know the exact spot . Although the slightly colder summers your end don't match up exactly -that's one area i had to concede - but it's still closer than Peurto Deseado , Argentina and Oak Harbor, USA

Do you have an match anywhere for your location ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:25 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
South FL I think is stereotyped by being a sunny climate but I feel like people are also aware of the humidity and thunderstorms. A month like June I think would be the stereotype which delivers all of that in abundance..
Eastern Queensland suffers with the same stereotype where it is perceived as perpetually sunny and dry. Brisbane and the Gold Coast are only decently sunny in winter. Their summers are overall cloudy and quite rainy. So much for "sunny Queensland".

Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Eastern Queensland suffers with the same stereotype where it is perceived as perpetually sunny and dry. Brisbane and the Gold Coast are only decently sunny in winter. Their summers are overall cloudy and quite rainy. So much for "sunny Queensland".
I swear if people were intelligent enough to look things up on their own, wrong weather stereotypes wouldn't exist.

Btw - congrats on 9,000 posts.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:41 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
well Joe, just for the record - my towns 'almost' exact fit abroad ( outside of France/Europe obviously) is actually in NZ , as opposed to USA ,Canada,Japan,Argentina or Tasmania .

Seems to be around 20 miles inland from Dunedin , not as far in as Alexandra ...somewhere between Middlemarch in a line going up just a few short miles .

Would love to know the exact spot . Although the slightly colder summers your end don't match up exactly -that's one area i had to concede - but it's still closer than Peurto Deseado , Argentina and Oak Harbor, USA

It makes sense for the lower South island to match Ipswich, although possibly Canterbury could have some contenders.

No matches for my climate, as the diurnal range/ rainfall total is a rare combination. Some parts of Tasmania are closish , but no where else is

Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,229 times
another stereotype - Siberia is ALWAYS -30c

Old 06-07-2017, 07:26 PM

5,721 posts, read 3,505,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
3000 hours of sunshine a year is not sunny?

I think the sunny stereotype exists mostly because people compare Brisbane with Melbourne and (especially) Sydney and decide (appropriately) that it's a lot sunnier than both. As you say, this is especially true in winter but even in summer Brisbane is still sunnier than Sydney and just as sunny as Melbourne--despite Brisbane's rain.

With respect to rain, it's certainly a fallacy to conclude that Queensland is perpetually dry but I don't think that's a common stereotype. The more common stereotype in my experience is that Queensland is either in flood or drought with no middle ground. In that regard there's a certain element of truth: "the creeks run dry or ten foot high and its either drought or plenty" goes the old song.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
A common stereotype of weather in Indianapolis is that if you don't like the weather patterns, wait five minutes and it will changequite the fallacy of a stereotype for the area of the United States that I live in, yet such a stereotypical view of Indianapolis's weather and climate actually does have some elements of truth to it, given the high vulnerability to temperature and precipitation extremes

Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,452 times
December. I remember reading about German crusaders calling these parts "lands of eternal darkness where devils lurk in the woods."

Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,992 times
November, because it's the wettest.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post

Middlemarch is nearly 2C colder in summer.

Somewhere like Albert Town (first attachment) or Otematata would be a closer fit, at least for average monthly temperatures, although rain and sunshine would be different.

Middlemarch is the last attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Which month is most similar to your location's stereotype?-screen-shot-2017-06-09-5.13.41   Which month is most similar to your location's stereotype?-screen-shot-2017-06-09-5.17.26   Which month is most similar to your location's stereotype?-screen-shot-2017-06-09-5.29.06  

Last edited by Joe90; 06-08-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather