Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Razza yeah ,it's not a bad old climate - but as i said to Lommaren it's very gloomy for so long in winter that you feel like a mushroom - another 200 hours of sun in the winter would be superb ......and those 1971 averages , Someone too lazy to update maybe lol.

The older figures sometimes show colder winters so that claim to the coldest place may even be unfounded ,although i hope it would stay with the 1981 figures .

Now you would think somewhere like Birmingham would be colder at night (at sea level ) in winter wouldn't you ,that far inland . Something i've never quite understood - although i am nearer the near continent -so maybe that's why .
The Met Office uses Levington as your nearest station, and I must say it gives very different results:

Ipswich climate information - Met Office
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not sure what your point is, or why Christchurch keeps getting a mention. Beyond the tree months of summer, differences between the UK and NZ soon become obvious. My climate shares similar temps and sunshine to Rome, for half the year, but I don't regard Rome and Motueka as similar, just as I don't regard Ipswich and Motueka as similar, just because three months are close for temperatures

Not sure why Australia entered the conversation. I've had 7 summers in Australia, and aren't really a fan overall - either too hot, or too dry. Coastal NSW south of around Sydney, is pretty nice though. For me, it's Australian winters that are standout.

You were saying about differences -

However NZ doesn't have much of a summer if compared alongside USA, Canada ,Spain.Australia ,Italy and even France .

UK is noted for it's cool almost non summers ,<24c max - and yet NZ summers are cooler still .

So maybe we can say a standard year is thus

NZ = Spring,Spring,Spring,Winter - (owing to more sunshine )
UK = Winter,,Spring ,Autumn,Autumn (owing to more cloud )

for the most part ,

you could also say somewhere like Glasgow is Winter,Winter,Autumn,Autumn

or you could go as far to say , Spring,Spring,Summer ,Spring (in your warmest town)

Old 06-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The Met Office uses Levington as your nearest station, and I must say it gives very different results:

Ipswich climate information - Met Office
I can safely say my winter nights are much ,much colder than that - lol

Levington is 5 miles from the coast Razza and about 6 miles from me . I;m 10 miles inland

East Bergholt is inland and around 9 miles away - although EB is more like Ipswich /Colchester as it a similar distance inland .

Sunshine at Felixstowe is 1777 , Levington 1707 , Ipswich 1680 ,Stowmarket( Wattisham) 6 miles further inland still and regs 1635

Weirdly i do notice a cooling off on the way to Levington -it deffo has the sea influence . It always seems to drop a degree or two on my car temp gauge when you get to the Sainsburys Warren Heath roundabout 3 miles up the road

Felixstowe nearly always feels cold on the beach ,even though the data says otherwise - the station must be in the town . My car went from 31c to 17c last year in 40 minutes during that journey

But Felixstowe doesn't get the severe frosts you get here overnight

Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
You were saying about differences -

However NZ doesn't have much of a summer if compared alongside USA, Canada ,Spain.Australia ,Italy and even France .

UK is noted for it's cool almost non summers ,<24c max - and yet NZ summers are cooler still .

So maybe we can say a standard year is thus

NZ = Spring,Spring,Spring,Winter - (owing to more sunshine )
UK = Winter,,Spring ,Autumn,Autumn (owing to more cloud )

for the most part ,

you could also say somewhere like Glasgow is Winter,Winter,Autumn,Autumn

or you could go as far to say , Spring,Spring,Summer ,Spring (in your warmest town)
Not sure why the USA, Canada, Spain, Australia, Italy or even France entered the conversation.

No place is spring or autumn all year -come back when you've got something to say.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not sure why the USA, Canada, Spain, Australia, Italy or even France entered the conversation.

No place is spring or autumn all year -come back when you've got something to say.
you seem a bit prickly about my mention of your non summers .

Which bit of that is untrue ?

it's alright for every man and his dog to comment upon our lousy summers -but do the same to a NZ'r and they're up in arms

I had this on a holiday tour with a guy from Christchurch - I thought he was going to call the police

Old 06-09-2017, 12:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
you seem a bit prickly about my mention of your non summers .

Which bit of that is untrue ?

it's alright for every man and his dog to comment upon our lousy summers -but do the same to a NZ'r and they're up in arms

I had this on a holiday tour with a guy from Christchurch - I thought he was going to call the police
No prickly-ness from me - that's in your head. But I do I think it shows a lack of understanding of what climate is, on your behalf. Every where in the temperate zone, has four seasons.

Cool summer I totally understand, non summer just means I'm talking to someone to has little to add. Sure NZ has some summers I don't like, but they're still summers.

My point isn't whether or not summers are alike, but whether half the year is alike -do you really regard my climate the same as Rome, just because winter/half the year is much the same?

Christchurch guy was probably thinking what many Brits say here -that NZ summers feel warmer, more intense, regardless of similar temperatures. I don't have an issue with UK summers, some of them look nice. Brits over here are the ones that bag UK summers. NZers that spend summers there, usually seem to think they're nice (in the south at least)

Old 06-09-2017, 01:07 PM

I think i mentioned before that Brits generally have a very negative opinion of their own climate (some /most for a very good reason) . Brits love NZ and Australia - they would rarely run their climate down anyway . There are places i love and i tend to talk about that climate more favourably than perhaps i should .

I know a guy who lived in Auckland area - (back here now) he said it was fantastic - people were great ,the place was great ...fair enough ,i believe him of course ==== but then when he gave the climate details, i thought he was talking about St Kitts and Nevis maybe ?

Also , the UK varies - many UK locations are cooler than NZ anyway in summer - only in the SE do you see an average of 22.5 or more .

NZ also is pretty sunny in summer , so that all makes a difference . I was simply saying how cold i might find the NZ summers as a whole . I could be wrong .

Did any Brits comment on how cold the nights were there ?

Old 06-09-2017, 01:18 PM

don't get me wrong - i love our cooler summers - I wouldn't handle a hot USA /Aust style summer very well - but you only have to listen to the USA posters on here , Summer is 28c (80F) average max and above ....

We have been told

Old 06-09-2017, 01:24 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times
I'm puzzled by those who say a place has non-summers, three-seasons, or whatever. A three season climate is logically impossible.

Supposedly we don't have "real" summers or "real winters" just because the temperatures or more moderated than some continental locations. Anyone who's lived here, or indeed somewhere like NZ, for any length of time knows that there's four distinct seasons.

Here at least wintern is cold coat weather with very short days, dead looking trees, constant grey skies and wet soil. Whereas summer is generally t-shirt weather with significantly longer days, lush green trees, more wildlife activity, more sunshine, and is a lot drier.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,357,166 times
I didn't understand the question. The month I like most is January since it is the coldest month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather