Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
I look the weather Channel website and now it´s about 15 °C and rainning in Los Angeles, far from a pleasant weather today...
Rain is pleasant only when it´s combined with warm temperatures.
rain occurred at 70 F in many locations today, i dont find that warm rain, it isnt cold either, it has no thermal sensation to me, but for many other people rain at 70 F is warm, especially in December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:23 PM

24 posts, read 37,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
rain occurred at 70 F in many locations today, i dont find that warm rain, it isnt cold either, it has no thermal sensation to me, but for many other people rain at 70 F is warm, especially in December.
Rain at 70F is definitely warm rain for LA. Are sea temperatures still warm there?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlourou View Post
The whole point of a Mediterranean climate is that it rains in winter but not in summer. Doesn't seem weird at all. Just a case of perspective about what's normal. I think it's weird to have Christmas in the middle of summer. Does that mean it's not normal?
I'm not talking about an average rain day with cloud cover and drizzle on/off where temps struggle to reach 16C. These conditions actually happen in Sydney every winter. And they're nothing out of the ordinary here.

I'm actually talking about a rainstorm - torrential rain, thunder, heavy winds and hail. This just seems to be a peculiar event for winter. After all, these conditions are mostly experienced in the warmer, wetter seasons of many climates in the world (oceanic, humid subtropical, tropical wet/dry and semi-aid).

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-03-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I'm not talking about an average rain day with cloud cover, drizzle on/off, and with temps struggling to reach 16C. These conditions actually happen in Sydney every winter. And they're nothing out of the ordinary here.

I'm actually talking about a rainstorm - torrential rain, thunder, heavy winds and hail. This just seems to be a peculiar event for winter. After all, these conditions are mostly experienced in the warmer, wetter seasons of many climates in the world (oceanic, humid subtropical, tropical wet/dry and semi-aid).
It's not a peculiar event for CA. It happened every winter that I lived there.

"It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya, It pours, man, it pours"
Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California

Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about an average rain day with cloud cover, drizzle on/off, and with temps struggling to reach 16C. These conditions actually happen in Sydney every winter. And they're nothing out of the ordinary here.

I take it you've never been to Perth.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlourou View Post
Rain at 70F is definitely warm rain for LA. Are sea temperatures still warm there?
Water Temps are around 66 F

Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I take it you've never been to Perth.
It's not about being in Mediterranean places or not. I acknowledge the fact that this happens in their winter.

But it's a personal perception really - Just like how people find Christmas in summer weird, I find torrential rainstorm and thunder in winter as strange and unorthodox.

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-03-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
But it's a personal perception really - Just like how people find Christmas in summer weird, I find torrential rainstorm and thunder in winter as strange and unorthodox.
Thunder in California is unusual in the winter. Winter rain there is often heavy, but it's not normally torrential like a tropical downpour. San Francisco's heaviest rain from this storm was 0.7" in one hour.

Note that the sea surface temperatures in the direction the storm is from is rather warm — mid 60s in places. These are near-summer conditions for the eastern US. Sea temperatures have been at or near record breaking highs. Dew points are near 60°F in San Francisco.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
I tend to associate summer here as being dry and winter wet, so probably the same as most Europeans.

Although our rainfall is pretty evenly spread out, there is certainly a difference in feel between summer and winter/Autumn rain. In summer and spring it is easier to get extended dry periods and rain tends to be shorter and heavier on fewer days

Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Summer has an average amount of precipitation days here. Precipitation hours, however, are much less than the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather