Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich place is more subtropical ?
Atlanta 55 61.80%
Rome 34 38.20%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Are you on drugs?

What difference does rainfall patterns make to what plants will survive somewhere?? Here in Malta, a Mediterranean climate, plants grow year round, they don't stop. We get dry summers but we can grow tropical plants here completely fine because of the MILD WINTERS, that is the more important factor to tropical plants, not that summers must be hot & wet

Here are some photos of botanical gardens in both Rome & Atlanta, so people can decide which one has more sub-tropical vegetation...

Atlanta:

Rome:

Climax vegetation of Rome is not subtropical while in Atlanta the climax vegetation is subtropical. And why you are so obsessed of palms trees ?
They are not the emblematic tree of subtropical climate...
Look the climax trees of Mississippi, Northern Florida... that are purely subtropical trees, they are palm trees ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Climax vegetation of Rome is not subtropical while in Atlanta the climax vegetation is subtropical. And why you are so obsessed of palms trees ?
They are not the emblematic tree of subtropical climate...
Look the climax trees of Mississippi, Northern Florida... that are purely subtropical trees, do you see palms trees among them ?
What? Climax?? What does the point of orgasm have to do with any of this??

I am not obsessed with palm trees. But look at the photos I posted, how can you say Atlanta botanical garden looks more subtropical than Rome's????????

You need to get out more as well as actually read peoples replies, why do you always ask a question when you have already made your mind up

Pointless trying to have any sort of discussion with you...

Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,912 times
Quote:

I am not obsessed with palm trees. But look at the photos I posted, how can you say Atlanta botanical garden looks more subtropical than Rome's????????

You need to get out more as well as actually read peoples replies, why do you always ask a question when you have already made your mind up

Pointless trying to have any sort of discussion with you...
Botanical gardens = humans influence therefore botanical gardens vegetations are absolutely not the climax vegetations wich is the most important thing to know the real kind of vegetations in a climate location.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Climax community. The species that dominates the forest before regeneration. I don't know if you use it in English anymore, the whole term is a bit outdated. In Scandinavian forests the climax species is spruce (or sometimes pine), in Central European deciduous forests beech. I think this is what Hartfordd is indicating.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Climax community. The species that dominates the forest before regeneration. I don't know if you use it in English anymore, the whole term is a bit outdated. In Scandinavian forests the climax species is spruce (or sometimes pine), in Central European deciduous forests beech. I think this is what Hartfordd is indicating.
It's still used in English, maybe in more technical language on the subject. Concept is somewhat outdated, as you said, but I remember learning it in school.

Climax community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's still used in English, maybe in more technical language on the subject. Concept is somewhat outdated, as you said, but I remember learning it in school.

Climax community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well then the question is what is the difference between the climax community in Rome vs Atlanta.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:09 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
LOL I've never heard of that term.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:37 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Climax community. The species that dominates the forest before regeneration. I don't know if you use it in English anymore, the whole term is a bit outdated. In Scandinavian forests the climax species is spruce (or sometimes pine), in Central European deciduous forests beech.
Deciduous climax trees in southernmost Scandinavia, especially in Denmark and Southern Sweden.
A small area along the southern coast of Norway have oak (Quercus robur) as climax tree.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:46 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Hmm, I always thought climax community was a very well-known term.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Apparently the climax trees in southern England are beech, hornbeam, linden lime and oak. I'd never heard of the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather