Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
But would these areas be "dangerous" in a global scale?

If by dangerous you mean that you can potentially die fir weather related reasons, then yes, but it's not Japan, sure.

Two people died in a flood last weekend in Montpellier, their car was taken away by the water and fell upside down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:45 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think you're grossly underestimating the amount of weather events NYC sees, overall it's every bit as wild as the rest of the eastern 2/3rds of the U.S.; the interior is wilder in terms of severe thunderstorms and wider temp fluctuations, but that's really about it, they don't get the tropical cyclones and nor'easters that we do.

In the past five years NYC has seen 6 tornadoes, 2 hurricanes, a 125mph Macroburst, extreme heat, extreme cold, a host of nor'easters, blizzards, and flooding downpours. I honestly can't think of another municipality that can match that, I'm not saying it's thee most dangerous city, but the region is near the top of the list imo.
The last few years has seen much more wild weather events than what is normal for NYC though. Of course, the interior can't see coastal storms but they see severe weather and tornadoes a lot more frequently. They see blizzards as well but it's not like NYC where it's a quantity of snow, it's more of a decent amount of dry snow and high winds with extreme wind chills ("ground blizzard"). I would think a place near the center of the country sees much more variety in weather than NYC. I'm not saying those events don't occur, they just don't on a frequent basis like somewhere in the interior sees. I agree NYC sees a little bit of everything but it's far from one of the most dangerous cities climate-wise, IMO.

Over the last 10 years, Winnipeg has seen -40 C temperatures (with -50 C wind chills), 50 C heat index, an F5 tornado (that struck in a nearby town), numerous amounts of blizzards and severe weather, etc. Winnipeg on average I would say is much more hostile than NYC.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The last few years has seen much more wild weather events than what is normal for NYC though. Of course, the interior can't see coastal storms but they see severe weather and tornadoes a lot more frequently. They see blizzards as well but it's not like NYC where it's a quantity of snow, it's more of a decent amount of dry snow and high winds with extreme wind chills ("ground blizzard"). I would think a place near the center of the country sees much more variety in weather than NYC. I'm not saying those events don't occur, they just don't on a frequent basis like somewhere in the interior sees. I agree NYC sees a little bit of everything but it's far from one of the most dangerous cities climate-wise, IMO.
Honestly, I only see NYC taking a clear back seat to places like Oklahoma City, Kansas City, and Denver. NYC isn't really a specialty city for anything weather-wise, but the fact that it's prone to almost every type of weather phenomena due to its climate and geography makes it inherently more dangerous (overall) than a city that specializes in one or two types of weather events imo, even if those same events happen with less frequency in NYC.

Quote:
Over the last 10 years, Winnipeg has seen -40 C temperatures (with -50 C wind chills), 50 C heat index, an F5 tornado (that struck in a nearby town), numerous amounts of blizzards and severe weather, etc. Winnipeg on average I would say is much more hostile than NYC.
I would agree, mainly for the fact that it's extremely cold there for much of the year, outside of that it becomes more debatable imo.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,531 times
I don't view NYC as being particularly safe or particularly dangerous.

During my lifetime, I've seen many weather-related deaths here. On the news I've seen homeless people die of hypothermia on the coldest mornings, which can get down to -15C or even -20C in the suburbs. I've also seen people die because they've gotten trapped in snowstorms with no means to escape their house or car. Heat-related illnesses are just as common. The hottest days can get up to 35 or even 40C with dew points ranging from 20-25C. Children have died from being left in cars, and sometimes people get heat exhaustion and heatstroke. In terms of storms, Sandy was a particularly extreme event, but nonetheless, we can get torrential downpours and wind gusts of 50-60 mph even during ordinary storms.

So, I'd have to agree with Infamous that although we're not the most dangerous climate out there, our weather can be quite volatile and I would regard it as "mildly dangerous," a level comparable to, say, Chicago or even Minneapolis.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
Going by stereotypes, everywhere in the UK will induce suicide within weeks, so must be deadly. Melbourne as well

Old 08-28-2015, 06:59 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,814,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Going by stereotypes, everywhere in the UK will induce suicide within weeks, so must be deadly. Melbourne as well
When I was in the Navy, there was an Aircraft handler on my squadron that committed suicide. He hated the weather so much, he wanted to leave the Navy, but as he'd only been in a year or two he couldn't leave. He was from the Caribbean somewhere.

I know another guy from Colombia that left the Navy because of the weather in the UK. He always said he missed the Sun.

So our climate certainly is depressing to some.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Somewhere which have HOT HOT HOT DRY summers and COLD COLD COLD FREEZING winters. Also having a highs subtropical indice and handsome thunderstorms same as actual summer is necessary.

So not: UK, Benelux, NZ and others.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:16 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
When I was in the Navy, there was an Aircraft handler on my squadron that committed suicide. He hated the weather so much, he wanted to leave the Navy, but as he'd only been in a year or two he couldn't leave. He was from the Caribbean somewhere.

I know another guy from Colombia that left the Navy because of the weather in the UK. He always said he missed the Sun.

So our climate certainly is depressing to some.
I find it hard to believe that any mentally healthy person would commit suicide because of the weather. He must have had underlying issues. Killing yourself because it's cloudy is quite a disproportionate reaction. Just a shame nobody helped him before it was too late.

There are millions of people from Africa and the Caribbean here who seem to go through life without suicidal tendencies. If the weather had that much impact on you, get mental help or toughen the **** up. How will these people deal with real problems when they are reduced to crying little girls because it's a bit cloudy?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:36 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,814,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I find it hard to believe that any mentally healthy person would commit suicide because of the weather. He must have had underlying issues. Killing yourself because it's cloudy is quite a disproportionate reaction. Just a shame nobody helped him before it was too late.

There are millions of people from Africa and the Caribbean here who seem to go through life without suicidal tendencies. If the weather had that much impact on you, get mental help or toughen the **** up. How will these people deal with real problems when they are reduced to crying little girls because it's a bit cloudy?
Where did I say he killed himself because of the weather?

He killed himself because he wasn't allowed to leave the Navy. The climate here was one of the reasons he wanted out of the Navy. He just missed home and the lifestyle. Bear in mind he'd probably never felt anything below 70f and was used to sun everyday. The fact that he had to do another 2 1/2 years before leaving to go home again was probably his reason.

If you only know the climate you live in, it's hard to understand living somewhere completely different.

Last edited by Dean York; 08-29-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-29-2015, 07:37 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,298 times
Winnipeg. What a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather