Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

After the thunderstorm Wednesday evening, it cooled down but stayed humid. Next morning was overcast, mid 60s and near 100% humidity. Comfy, and cozy. Thought of going for a bike ride before the heat came. Once the sun broke through the clouds it was going to be steamy. Waited a while before leaving, but it was still cloudy when I left. Decided to go up a local big hill, or should I call it a small mountain? I like "mountain" better. Bike path bridge:

On the bridge. It goes over the Connecticut River and was an old railroad bridge.

Sun was starting to crack through the clouds.

Not too well, mountain is somewhere behind those clouds:

Stomach cramped going up, maybe I would have gone a bit faster I had felt better? At least the climb didn't last long, just under 18 minutes. At the top, the view wasn't very exciting. I thought the clouds would clear up a bit by the time I got up, but as I said relative humidity was near 100% at the surface.

But then it started to clear:

Same view not too long before (< 10 minutes?)

Spoiler

Cleared up some more:

another view:

Spoiler

Inside building probably doesn't have an aphid problem:

town and farm fields:

more views:

Spoiler

Welcome to the subtropical highlands? Feeling very steamy out.

that cloud doesn't want to leave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:16 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

curiosity in me would go to that edge. Looks like someone on a bike might not make the turn if there is one. Looks like a steep drop. Or maybe deceiving from photo. I think I see tops of some bushes...or trees

Old 05-31-2015, 02:19 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Neat! One can feel the humidity by looking at the photos.

The Ct river pics looked familiar. Seems like that structure didn't withstand the snow of one of the last 4 winters:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@42.30048...oA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My favorite store there... Pepperidge farm. lol
I can definitely see why.

From the spring thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Beautiful pictures. That fifth picture with the church in Normandy looks warm, perhaps because of the sun rays.
Thanks! It was around 18°C at that time. Not exactly warm, but still pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, I've done it before, didn't realize it was that recognizable. Looks like the last time I did the same ride, I took photos in a lot of the same spots. Stopped near that stone fire tower but went for a short hike along some ledges with views, I was trying to go the stone fire tower, but when the wrong way. This time I took the road to the tower, rather than hike; the road wasn't very road bike friendly, ended up walking my bike half the time. I think I prefer the hike with the ledges over the tower, and the rough uphill to the tower was tedious after climbing a big hill.
I recognized the views from the towers (Mt Monadnok). Also the Bridge of Flowers. I agree that hiking up a steep hill is much more relaxing than on a bicycle.

Quote:
Great photos. Besides the Alps photos, like the northern France building styles.
Thanks! And I agree about the old buildings in northern France. Theyre so exotic!

Quote:
Are those wild?
I guess so. There wasn't any fence.

Quote:
The ride was 68 miles, elevation gain maybe just over 5000 feet. Two big hills, each tower was at the end of a big hill. First one must gentler, second one gained 875 feet in 1.7 miles
Did a comparable one yesterday, slightly higher elevation gain, but shorter. The steepest part wasn't quite as steep. 900 ft in 2 miles. I can't comprehend how one can enjoy such climbs. My boss suggested purchasing a more appropriate bike, though I guess training is the core of the problem. He proposed to try one of his bicyles. He recently bought a €10,000 bike.

We're within 5 minutes of the earliest sunrise of the year:

Spoiler

Phew! They spared its life.

Hazy morning

Spoiler

This is mostly mimosa:

Road goes thru a hilltop village
Spoiler

Spoiler

This stretch of forest looks pretty lush for the region:

Canal bringing tap water from a nearby river to the Grasse/Cannes area
Spoiler

I thought it was a good idea to take this backroad as a shortcut:

Obviously it wasn't. Damned Google maps.

The sun is getting stronger as the day progresses. Unfortunately the stunted mediterranean vegetation offers no shade.

I'm now hearing thunder.

Took another unpaved path (to the right), but this one was rideable.

Garrigue - and an electricity pylon.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:56 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Ioannina 1 hour ago! Thunderstorms!!! 18 C. This is our summer!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:03 PM

Great... I look out the window and ..... see it?

In my Potato patch.. Amazing what happens when you spread Hay down. We have Rabbits everywhere you look round here. This mother is collecting Hay and bringing back to the hole she dug.

Pretty cool to watch...

There's the hole she made. Babies will be in there. I wonder if she had my potato under there.

Question is.... Do I scare her now and block the area BEFORE the babies are born, or watch the bunnies tear up and eat my garden?

Old 05-31-2015, 03:24 PM

HOLY ______!!!!

INCREDIBLE image caught by Webcam on Long Island of the storm over Fairfield County, CT that just hit me.

http://wx.somassbu.org/DATA/HSC/WX-HSC.php

Old 05-31-2015, 04:10 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Nei, this climb in the humidity seems exhausting. How did you manage to breathe in that ?

Nice photos guys, I should participate some day.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM

Watch her collect the Straw then bring it to the hole and even put it into the hole. Then watch her eat my String bean leaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0txdsgz4pY

By the way,.... that's too cool. This morning I found the hole covered up. They do this so predators don't realize a nest is there. and maybe because of the rains too?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
I guess the sky figured out it was summer.

Roseate spoonbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
(dead?) water hickory
Nope

South wind

Crocodile

Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Awesome!

https://twitter.com/afreedma/status/605725646875201536
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather