Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times

Advertisements

I've decided to start the summer photo thread since I don't see one yet, and didn't want to be posting my Paris pics across two threads.

My trip to Paris was a resounding success, and I was constantly blown away by the sheer beauty of the place. The city itself is very different than what I'm used to here in Atlanta, with the super-dense development, not to mention the age of the buildings. The apartment I stayed in was built in 1836, for instance. I suppose that's "new construction" for Paris...lol.

Anyhow, I'll let the pics tell the story along with short blurbs underneath each one - I'll post perhaps 10 a day so I don't overload the thread.

Waiting to leave Atlanta. We were supposed to connect to our flight in Charlotte, but that flight was delayed to the point of missing it. They routed us onto a British Airways flight via London, which turned out to be a nice experience. I give high marks to BA - I'd recommend that airline to anyone.

This flight was full, couldn't take it to Paris.

The baby I flew on - a 777. Happy to have that aircraft checked off my list.

Coming in to land over London. The city center was on the other side of the aircraft, but it was neat to see the Thames, including the floodgates.

Waiting for our flight to Paris - such beautiful weather. It was just 13 C at the time, despite the sun.

Paris at last! Taken near the Opera House. Of course, the weather was beyond awesome - so nice and cool. Couldn't have asked for better, the whole time I was there.

Pic of a Metro stop. We used this system a LOT to get around Paris. A bit of a challenge to learn, but I'm a pro at using public transport systems. Didn't make a single mistake the whole time.

Pic needs no explanation...lol.

Taken from the top of the Montparnesse Tower, the big, ugly thing that sticks up in the middle of Paris like a sore thumb. This was the building that got Parisians to say "no more" to skyscrapers in the city proper. Superb observation deck, however, and the crowds were minimal.

The Basilica - which was located just a few blocks from where we stayed. Such a beautiful building.

Will leave at here for now - more to come soon.

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 05-27-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:41 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times
Very nice.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Beautiful.. Paris is such a beautiful unspoilt city! The metro system is way better there than ours anyway (at least in price, maybe not as modern as ours)

I love London, and the cosmopolitan look we have with our old buildings, but we have lots of high rises and skyscrapers dotted around now, it would be nice if they were confined to one area I think, like Paris does with La Defense. We also have a lot of 70s concrete buildings that look like bum.

Awesome pictures though, I look forward to more!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 PM

^^ Thanks. There will certainly be a lot more coming...lol.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM

More pics of Paris. A few more from the top of the Montparnesse Tower and then some others that were taken on the first full day.

Best perspective of the Eiffel Tower to be had anywhere in the city.

I love the look of shadow and sun on the cityscape.

A closer view of below.

Ants under the Eiffel Tower. Wait, those are people.

What the rooftop observation deck looked like. Note the lack of people. This was NOT a good representation of the volume of tourists we encountered in our stay...lol.

Another look at the Tower. Note the rain behind it - it came across the city and rained for about a half hour - while we were having lunch, at this place below:

A common sight throughout the city - that'd be a neat contest, to see how many of these can be located in the city...lol.

The palace at Luxembourg Gardens.

Palm trees in giant planters, how clever...lol. Note the sun - it'd been raining just a half hour before. Weather moves fast in northern France...lol.

One of my fave places in Paris - the Sacré-Cœur Basilica. Only a hundred years old, this is one structure that will surely stand the test of time. The view from the base is awesome - the view from up on top is simply spectacular.

I know this was a waste of a Metro ticket, but I love riding things like this...lol.

View from below the Basilica. There were a lot of people around, I was making an effort to avoid crowd shots.

The front of the Basilica.

That's it for now - will post pics from the top and more soon

Old 05-28-2015, 12:17 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,187,016 times
Lots of American flags!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
why? Is it an event or place with actual Americans or just trying to have American theme?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:24 PM

These are so pretty, I just have to post them up now...lol.

I'll hold off on the Eiffel Tower pics til tomorrow though.

The beginning of the long climb up the Basilica. I'm so glad most people are lazy and don't care to climb lots of steps. The crowds inside the church were suffocating, especially with all the tour groups (no pics allowed inside.)

I'm a big fan of these things.

Amazing, huh?

La Defense in the distance. A brilliant idea, to put the modern office towers in their separate district outside historical Paris.

Amazing at how clear the air was that day.

Too bad I couldn't climb this tower...lol. This church is tallllll.

So very, very different than Atlanta...lol.

Nice to look down at all those people down below, where they belong...lol.

The sheer urbanity of it all...

The "lone wolf" skyscraper of Montparnesse. Yes, the Parisians hate it with a passion...lol.

But everyone loves the Eiffel Tower.

A century's worth of etchings in the walls.

Okay, that's it for now.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,187,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why? Is it an event or place with actual Americans or just trying to have American theme?
It's an American themed shop!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
An American themed shop!
Thank goodness I didn't see one of those in Paris...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather