Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have issues with Mold, Mildew, Rust, or high inside humidity in your area?
Yes (more than 3 months a year) 5 29.41%
Sometimes (less than 3 months a year) 3 17.65%
Never 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Basements are rarely used so there's no point in keeping the a/c on or installing it down there, hence why the problems arise. Also bathrooms. Steamy shower will do a number on walls if they aren't painted with certain type of paint.
Oh forgot about bathrooms. An old bathroom used to be full of mildew, it never dried out during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think Cambium was referring to absolute humidity more so than relative humidity. If the dew point is 2°C and the house is heated to say, 18°C relative humidity will be low as the dew point doesn't rise much inside. So not a favorable environment for mold.
honestly i have no idea about indoors dewpoint, I have nothing to measure them. I only remember feeling chilly in some apartments I used to live in, but that was mostly because of poor insulation and probably wet walls. I've never had food rotting indoors there, but it's happened here in spring/summer, when the windows were open, so I guess it is more an issue in summer in humid climates like here.

I used to have dew on windows in my old apartments in winter though.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:16 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, I have to assume Stone or brick makes a difference in the way humidity can penetrate inside. But then again, wouldn't that mean if the inside did get humid it would last longer because of the stone? I'm thinking about underground caves and how its always moist on the rocks.
Yes & the limestone that buildings are made of here acts like a sponge & soaks up the moisture, they are built with a single layer of limestone blocks too, no cavity or insulation! And inside walls are simply plastered & painted with a lime wash...

It does last until the end of March here, but our dry season starts in April so the lack of rain dries things out inside at least, but outside due to the humidity, spots in my garden that are always in shade have moss & ferns popping out of the cracks in the walls/paving...

Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
On muggy days like today I run my dehumidifier

Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
It's usually around 55% indoors. Good levels for me.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Nope, not ever needed in SoCal. The only person I personally know who has had problems with mold around here is my sister, whose tiny bathroom had no fan, house had no a/c, and her husband wouldn't let her open any windows because he was afraid of--something, I'm not sure what. So she had some mold in her bathroom.

But if you either use a/c or have your windows open regularly, there's no issue with mold. Dry air is more of a problem for many people. Humidifiers are common; I don't think I've ever actually seen a dehumidifier in a house.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:17 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Nope, not ever needed in SoCal. The only person I personally know who has had problems with mold around here is my sister, whose tiny bathroom had no fan, house had no a/c, and her husband wouldn't let her open any windows because he was afraid of--something, I'm not sure what. So she had some mold in her bathroom.

But if you either use a/c or have your windows open regularly, there's no issue with mold. Dry air is more of a problem for many people. Humidifiers are common; I don't think I've ever actually seen a dehumidifier in a house.
LoL come over to Atlanta and you see the opposite. Humidity is a suckerpunch.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
In the DC area, summer humidity is epic. I run a dehumidifier in my basement 24 hours/day from about May 1 through at least September 15. SOMETIMES, it has dried the basement enough that it shuts off, but I usually have it on 24 hours/day.

I DO NOT have issues with mold and mildew BECAUSE I run the dehumidifier. Without it, the humidity level in the basement can reach 75% or even higher. YIKES!
Same here. Usually the bucket fills up every 2 days and it hasn't even been that humid compared to normal lately.

This is from a small area in the basement. 2 days worth.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:05 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Tis the season. I got 2 Dehumidifiers running in basement. No way I want rusty tools!

70 Pints filled up within 3 hours! Insane outside like the amazon

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather