Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Australian major city climate?
Canberra 17 27.87%
Sydney 9 14.75%
Hobart 9 14.75%
Brisbane 18 29.51%
Perth 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 PM

30 posts, read 22,583 times

Advertisements

Hobart, with Canberra as a close second. Both have comfortable temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Hobart,close to an good snow in mountains and is the only place in Australia that you can see native decidous trees showing it colour in autumn!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Hobart,close to an good snow in mountains and is the only place in Australia that you can see native decidous trees showing it colour in autumn!
Canberra is more prone to extreme cold though.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Canberra is more prone to extreme cold though.
Yup!

Damn,I remember now,Native deciduous trees? that probably was before i study about the Deciduous trees in SH,because there are none native deciduous trees(Cold Winter) in Mainland Australia

Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times
All of them ranked, even the ones not on the list:

1. Canberra (most continental and most likely to receive snow)
2. Hobart (coldest)
3. Melbourne (2nd coldest)
3. Adelaide (outer suburbs reach as high as 610m, and so have "real winters")
4. Perth (only because of outer suburbs higher up, like kalamunda)
5. Sydney (winterless and way too hot in the inland areas)
6. Brisbane (practically a tropical highland climate with the amount of seasonality it has)
7. Darwin (tropical bleh)

Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
All of them ranked, even the ones not on the list:

1. Canberra (most continental and most likely to receive snow)
2. Hobart (coldest)
3. Melbourne (2nd coldest)
3. Adelaide (outer suburbs reach as high as 610m, and so have "real winters")
4. Perth (only because of outer suburbs higher up, like kalamunda)
5. Sydney (winterless and way too hot in the inland areas)
6. Brisbane (practically a tropical highland climate with the amount of seasonality it has)
7. Darwin (tropical bleh)
You forgot Sydney's outer west. Going by nighttime lows in the winter, Sydney's outer suburbs have cooler temps than those in outer Adelaide and Perth. Oh, btw, despite its inland location and cool highs in the winter, Kalumanda's lows are akin to Sydney CBD's nighttime lows.

The cool, elevated areas in "outer Adelaide" are not suburbs of that city. They are individual localities in a township called Adelaide Hills, which have nothing to do with Adelaide's metropolitan area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...outh_Australia).

The Sydney suburbs with cold winter nights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden..._Wales#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmo..._Wales#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbe..._Wales#Climate

Last edited by Ethereal; 07-06-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 01:47 AM

765 posts, read 574,367 times
Why exactly are Melbourne, Adelaide and Darwin missing from the poll?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times
Quote:
The cool, elevated areas in "outer Adelaide" are not suburbs of that city. They are individual localities in a township called Adelaide Hills, which have nothing to do with Adelaide's metropolitan area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...outh_Australia).

"Suburbs" wasn't the word I intended to use - I was referring to areas near Mount Lofty, such as Crafers.

Quote:
You forgot Sydney's outer west. Going by nighttime lows in the winter, Sydney's outer suburbs have cooler temps than those in outer Adelaide and Perth.

The Sydney suburbs with cold winter nights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden..._Wales#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmo..._Wales#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbe..._Wales#Climate

Wow, had no idea about those. Much more continental than what I would expect from Sydney. Still too hot in the summer, though.

Quote:
Oh, btw, despite its inland location and cool highs in the winter, Kalumanda's lows are akin to Sydney CBD's nighttime lows.
Well, highs are the temperatures people experience during most of their days. And I'd gladly take a slightly cooled Mediterranean climate like that one over Sydney CBD's monotony.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
"Suburbs" wasn't the word I intended to use - I was referring to areas near Mount Lofty, such as Crafers.
Crafers is a locality in Stirling, and is part of Adelaide Hills. Some do consider it to be an outer suburb of Adelaide, though. So it can go either way.

Quote:
Wow, had no idea about those. Much more continental than what I would expect from Sydney. Still too hot in the summer, though.
Very odd that you weren't aware of them, since Sydney's suburbs have been covered here a lot.

Yeah, you can tell that Sydney can be a bit continental if you look at it from a map. There are outer suburbs that would obviously have more extremes than those near the ocean. Kinda surprised that you were aware of lesser known outer suburbs of Perth and Adelaide, but not of those in Sydney (as the latter were oftentimes displayed here).

Quote:
Well, highs are the temperatures people experience during most of their days.
I personally disagree. I'd take a 13C high with a low of 8C any day over a 19C high with lows of 0C (I'd argue that this one would feel cooler). Evenings still exist and people go out at that time. I wouldn't want to feel such drastic changes in one day. But that's just me.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:13 PM

366 posts, read 243,139 times
My favourite Australian capital is Darwin but because it is not in the list, I will choose Brisbane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather