Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 03:14 PM

638 posts, read 350,849 times

Advertisements

When you watch movies and TV shows you would think NYC was extremely snowy and cold all winter. The reality is much different vs the perception in the media.

Snow hardly stays on the ground long, and the winters are not that bad in NYC proper. On average NYC probably has snow on the ground less than two weeks a season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 03:25 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,415,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
When you watch movies and TV shows you would think NYC was extremely snowy and cold all winter. The reality is much different vs the perception in the media.

Snow hardly stays on the ground long, and the winters are not that bad in NYC proper. On average NYC probably has snow on the ground less than two weeks a season.
Yet another thing we can thank the unquestionably 100% accurate pop culture weather depictions for.

Old 11-17-2022, 04:11 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,519,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I thought the Canadian province of Newfoundland was a borderline tundra climate that could get real cold all of the year (thank you totally accurate pop culture weather depictions) until I actually looked at the data. It's much milder than that (humid continental/borderline subarctic), and a lot of cities have very late first freezes (mid late October normally) relative to their averages, especially compared to more continental places.

Fun fact: This year, Gander didn't get a freeze until November 2, Stephenville/Corner Brook/Cappahayden didn't get a freeze until November 9/10, Burgeo didn't get a freeze until November 15, and there are stations for Channel-Port aux Basques, St. John's, and St. Shott's that are still going!
Try going there in May and see if you continue to believe it's warmer than expected!

Old 11-17-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Try going there in May and see if you continue to believe it's warmer than expected!
I see the point of what you're saying (it's why I was referring to first freezes), but technically May in most Newfoundland cities is warmer than I would have expected from pop culture. The highs are 10+ Celsius (aka comfortable weather), compared to the pop culture leading me to believe I would have been outright cold pretty much the whole time.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 11-17-2022 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-22-2022, 10:09 PM

855 posts, read 772,981 times
Michigan has a reputation for cold, but living in Ann Arbor for six years I came to realize much of the winter was snow free, summers felt quite hot at times and humid, and the warm weather could begin as early as late April and last well into October some years.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:30 AM

827 posts, read 866,486 times
Our misconceptions about weather usually are related to what we saw on movies and television.

I used to think NYC was colder. The media is inclined to show NYC as a cold city. If it's winter usually there is snow on the grounds. And in general the characters in NYC are almost always dressed as if it was at least cool outside. Cloudy and windy.

People hardly think about sweating while wearing only shorts and a t-shirt with 90F/32C and above in NYC. Sometimes that happens everyday for weeks in a row.

So I used to think that NYC winters were colder and snowier and the summers were milder. The media representation of NYC weather is something closer to Boston or even colder than that, I guess.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:45 AM

Another Hawaii one.

I recently learned about the climate of Hilo and what I learned is perfect for this thread. While it's actually tropical unlike Honolulu, it has a very cold climate for its latitude and elevation, only 23.3C annual average despite being at 19N on the coast and 18m in elevation.

There are places in the Southeast US at 27-28N as warm as that, and even Hanoi Vietnam is at 21N and a bit warmer. I don't understand at all why Hilo even falls behind notoriously cold for the latitude East Asia, it has no Siberian High to chill its winters.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:23 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,072,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Another Hawaii one.

I recently learned about the climate of Hilo and what I learned is perfect for this thread. While it's actually tropical unlike Honolulu, it has a very cold climate for its latitude and elevation, only 23.3C annual average despite being at 19N on the coast and 18m in elevation.

There are places in the Southeast US at 27-28N as warm as that, and even Hanoi Vietnam is at 21N and a bit warmer. I don't understand at all why Hilo even falls behind notoriously cold for the latitude East Asia, it has no Siberian High to chill its winters.
I think Hilo is cooler because it is on the windward side of the island...
over 3000 mm annual precipitation...low sunshine, only about 1800 annual sunshine
hours (and remember that's US sunshine data...so chop off about 200 hours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather