Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:29 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times

Advertisements

*Istanbul being close to semi-arid, until I realized (a few years ago) that it's more like London and Paris than Rome or Athens.

*Initially I thought NYC had colder winters akin to Chicago's with 0C average highs.

*Venice being much drier and sunnier - Just 2,000 hours of sunshine is crazy for a city that's always depicted to be sunny and dry!

*Sydney's annual rainfall is around 1,200mm. Didn't know that the CBD is this wet.

What were your climate misconceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
I thought San Francisco was cloudy and cool due to a popular misconception. Turns out it's mild and sunny.

Denver isn't bitterly cold in winter as I had thought, nor does Seattle receive copious amounts of rain.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:58 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
Scandinavia, esp. Norway, is milder than I thought before

Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 AM

633 posts, read 661,992 times
i always thought the deep south was prone to cold snaps, but it turns out its just the cold epoch

seriously though, off the top of my head i too was surprised about Venice, but not for the same reasons. Venice seems to be depicted as Mediterranean-esque and warm like other Italian cities but it turns out it actually gets very chilly and cold in the winter. colder than London! yet Genoa being just a bit more south sees much milder winters (protection with the mountains).

Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
Scandinavia, esp. Norway, is milder than I thought before
Ditto. My interest in climate actually started when I looked at Scandinavian climate charts and was surprised that they were much milder than I thought.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:15 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Five or six years ago, before I became interested in weather, I never knew about the extent of extreme climates on Earth.

Having grown up in a mild 4-season climate with lack of particularly extreme temperatures (avg summer high is 28C, avg winter low is -4C), I had heard about hot cities like Phoenix and Baghdad and also about cold places like Antarctica and Siberia, but never realized just how extreme they were.

However, when I visited Phoenix for the first time in July 2010, I thought that it'd be around 90F during the daytime and 60F at night. But when I went there, I received a pleasant greeting of 110F (43C) air on the way out of the airport. Then I found out that that was the norm (not the exception) and I was astounded. I had never even known that there were places in the world (let alone in my own country) with average temps above 40C for extended periods of time.

Similar reaction to cold places. When I thought of cold temps, I thought of -5C with some moderate winds. I had always imagined the South Pole as a place with constant -5C or -10C temps and light winds. Never had I imagined that there were places in the world where temps dropped below -40C regularly. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when I found out about places like Vostok, Oymyakon, or even Barrow. However, my obsession with cold didn't begin immediately after that (that happened during the cold snaps of Jan 2014).

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,975,599 times
Before I became interested in weather, I thought that London and New York City had winters mean temperatures similar to -3/-7 C and lasting snow cover was common in both cities. I also thought that Sydney had a climate similar to what Toronto is actually like.

I also thought that temperatures above the 35-40 C range were unique for deserts.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:20 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
I used to think that NYC/Chicago were much hotter and more humid in summer than they actually are. I also thought, per the usual stereotype that London was much more rainy/foggy/cloudy and colder in the summer.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
On my first trip to San Francisco in August of 1988, I thought it would be a lot hotter and sunnier. This South Carolina girl froze her patootie off!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:08 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
One of the last times I was in San Francisco I probably experienced the most anomolous ~week in the history of the city

Temps were in the High 80's most of the week with NO fog whatsoever. The last day dawned bright and warm witb temps climbing toward the middle 80's then clouds moved in and I was treated to a suprisingly potent bay-area thunderstorm.

How often does that happen!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather