Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

New York isn't as cold as I originally thought - thank you, Home Alone 2 and countless other movies depicting New York as cold and snowy around Christmas.

New Zealand and the the coasts of Victoria and New South Wales are nowhere near as hot as I thought they were - in fact, many of these climates are similar to here, and are not very sunny, and very wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I just moved to Minnesota and found it has a much hotter summer (or at least part of summer, its cooling off) then I expected by far.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:37 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,440 times
London (and the South East) isn't as wet and rains much less that I expected. Also there are much more sunnier days than I expected.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:52 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
North Chicago, IL (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH Chicago itself... this is a separate city that's 50 miles north of Chicago itself) is actually pretty hot in the summer. 85 degrees at times! And sometimes, warmer or as warm as places that are further south, like New Jersey in northern Virginia!

Out in the deserts of SoCal, it actually got pretty cold... 40 degrees that you'd need to sleep with thick blankets.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 AM

750 posts, read 741,414 times
Last June I went to Chicago. It was my first time east of the Rockies in summer. I was expecting it to be very muggy. It really wasn't that bad at all. Very pleasant.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Is it possible that these experiences with climates being different than what was expected are related to short term meteorological differences? For instance, Seattle has a rep for being cool and damp. Been pretty sunny and dry for months on end now, with only short term results of that stereotypical weather. Meanwhile, Birmingham would not have had the same rep, but we've had so many rainy days the past 2 years, I can't even fathom when the sun does come out for an extended period.

Just a thought. Perhaps the long term trends are true, but in the short term, things can be very different.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
The southern California beaches are cooler than I thought. I knew the Pacific kept it a good bit cooler than inland, but I was surprised at how few months the beaches are really used from Malibu through Orange County. Even June in these areas is pretty nippy to be at the beach with temperatures averaging not much over 70 for highs and a pretty stiff wind.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Pretty much any city in East Asia is cloudier than I thought. I also didn't realize how rainy cities there are in the summer compare to the dry winters.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The southern California beaches are cooler than I thought. I knew the Pacific kept it a good bit cooler than inland, but I was surprised at how few months the beaches are really used from Malibu through Orange County. Even June in these areas is pretty nippy to be at the beach with temperatures averaging not much over 70 for highs and a pretty stiff wind.
I lived in OC for 10 years and people would come there thinking the climate would be the same as Miami lol! It can be quite cool there in winter, although where I lived about 6 miles from the coast, it rarely dropped even to the upper 30s at night and never a freeze.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I thought San Francisco was cloudy and cool due to a popular misconception. Turns out it's mild and sunny.

Denver isn't bitterly cold in winter as I had thought, nor does Seattle receive copious amounts of rain.
I think there's a huge misconception about Denver's climate. The first time I came here was in a January and I truly expected to see snow piled up to the gutters on houses. But I arrived and there was no snow anywhere, and I saw people wearing shorts! My guess is that it makes the national news when it snows in Denver in October, or like this year, on Mother's Day, and people come to the conclusion that it snows and piles up from October to May. The coldest average high in Denver is about 43 degrees, so it doesn't stay below freezing enough for snow to pile up much.

And then people don't realize how erratic the climate is here. Like in winter, it can easily go from the 60s to 10 below in a mater of a couple days. Just last week, we had a high of 100 in the city and a record low down to about 49 just a couple days later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather