Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 PM

135 posts, read 90,684 times

Advertisements

Well this winter has been miserable for me. Got the flu on Thanksgiving and then bronchitis really bad that I still am recovering from somewhat, and still have some breathing issues because of it. I live in SE Michigan and the polar vortex hit us pretty badly but even before then the air has generally been so dry and horrible. Took forever for the first snowfall. "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." Well, this winter has been "It's not the cold, it's the crappy dry air." But it's also the cold, especially the past two weeks. I ended up buying a humidifier which has helped. Never had one before but I got it a little too late. Really needed to have this thing running in November, but didn't get it until the very end of December.

I has a question though. Do people in areas with let's say, winter highs that don't really drop below 50 F/lows that are around maybe 30-40ish, or basic humid subtropical climates, can you guys still get the cold/flu in winter really badly? Sorry if this question is really naive or stupid, I am just wondering as I don't get to travel much. I got the flu before but it was never this bad, it was just particularly viscous this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 02:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Germs and viruses cause disease, not temperature. Sometimes cold temps impact the spread of something if it means more people are crowded together but that's it. Temperature may make it harder to breathe (hot OR cold) if you have lung problems but again, that has nothing to do with colds or viruses being caused by temps.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 PM

895 posts, read 604,894 times
Yes. In fact, Singapore has two flu seasons each year.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:25 PM

30,453 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Weather has nothing to do with getting sick rick. Smoking can make peeps get sick more easy. I have been lucky all my life.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
Yes. In fact, Singapore has two flu seasons each year.
Beat me to it.

I had a cold about a month ago and I was wondering the same thing as the OP,
so I googled asking if colds and flu are just mainly
a colder climate thing ....and Singapore came up....a person living there mentioned
he gets colds a lot and sometimes flu too. In a very hot tropical climate.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:34 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,870 times
I got a little bit sick when I visited Palo Alto, California in December. Then I visited Yellowknife and Chicago in January during well-below-zero (F) spells of Arctic cold, and I was healthy as a horse each time.

That's just anecdotal evidence and obviously not a scientific response, but it illustrates the phenomenon that intuition is complete and utter BS when it comes to getting sick in winter. Just get your flu shot in October and eat/sleep/exercise well. Also have a tendency to avoid crowds afap.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:27 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springsux View Post
Well this winter has been miserable for me. Got the flu on Thanksgiving and then bronchitis really bad that I still am recovering from somewhat, and still have some breathing issues because of it. I live in SE Michigan and the polar vortex hit us pretty badly but even before then the air has generally been so dry and horrible. Took forever for the first snowfall. "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." Well, this winter has been "It's not the cold, it's the crappy dry air." But it's also the cold, especially the past two weeks. I ended up buying a humidifier which has helped. Never had one before but I got it a little too late. Really needed to have this thing running in November, but didn't get it until the very end of December.

I has a question though. Do people in areas with let's say, winter highs that don't really drop below 50 F/lows that are around maybe 30-40ish, or basic humid subtropical climates, can you guys still get the cold/flu in winter really badly? Sorry if this question is really naive or stupid, I am just wondering as I don't get to travel much. I got the flu before but it was never this bad, it was just particularly viscous this year.
I am in Florida and I got the flu at the beginning of December. I hadn't had the flu in 20+ years.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,659,982 times
Yes. It's cold (the disease, not the weather!) season here currently, which is also the rainy/monsoon season.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Weather has nothing to do with getting sick rick. Smoking can make peeps get sick more easy. I have been lucky all my life.
The question the OP posted was concerning "bad colds/chest colds/flu"

I must say that I smoke and rarely get chest colds or the flue. A lot less often than hubby or friends that don't smoke. I am very careful to avoid coming into contact with sick people and wash my hands often (but not to the point of being anal about it) Washing hands just makes sense to prevent the spread of germs.

I'll agree that smoking causes more disease and health problems otherwise, but as far as targeting it for causing worse colds and flues, nope, not in my case.

You can't "catch" a cold from being in the cold. It is spread ONLY by human contact (or transmitted in the air) or contact with something a human with the germ has touched.

People who live in cold climates tend to get more colds and flues because they live inside most of the time and are in contact with more sick people inside.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:37 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Beat me to it.

I had a cold about a month ago and I was wondering the same thing as the OP,
so I googled asking if colds and flu are just mainly
a colder climate thing ....and Singapore came up....a person living there mentioned
he gets colds a lot and sometimes flu too. In a very hot tropical climate.
Singapore is HIGHLY populated. Doesn't matter the climate. The spread of germs from person to person in a highly populated area is much more likely.

Also, I wonder if the people of Singapore are careful to wash their hands after being in contact with people or before they prepare food? I would tend to think they do, but some people ignore that simple method of prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather