Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:58 PM

102 posts, read 104,007 times

Advertisements

For as long as humans have cared to write about it, British weather has been the subject of scorn and mockery. But is this perception, one that is often perpetuated by British people themselves, a fair one?

The UK is fortunate to have a stable climate, with no extremes. Summer is never too hot, and winter is never too cold. Although there is no real set pattern, no one can doubt it is unpredictable. Summer is generally warm, although heatwaves taking temperatures throughout much of the country to the late 20's or early 30's Celsius have become increasingly common.

For those of us who enjoy winter, yes we're a rare breed, it is cold enough to get that winter feeling but not cold to the point where it's deeply uncomfortable. The temperature seems to be a pleasant surprise for many winter visitors, who expect it to be freezing cold, but find that daytime temperatures generally stay well above freezing, and the nights generally stay above that threshold.

Of course Britain is famous for it's rain, but even this is exaggerated. It's a statistical fact that London, famously a "rainy city", gets less annual rainfall and wet days than Paris, Berlin, Rome and even Sydney. The country is also famously cloudy, yet in this respect it doesn't differ from any other country in western Europe, although the wind can be stronger in some areas, especially the western coasts.

I know it's not everybody's ideal climate, as it's completely subjective. For someone like me who feels uncomfortable in hot weather and very cold weather, it's ideal.

What I would like to know is:

- Does British weather live up to it's negative, often comedic stereotype?

- Why does Britain in particular get singled out for its weather when half a dozen or so other countries in Northern Europe have climates that are practically identical? Why do they escape the stigma?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:24 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
There is absolutely no doubt, IMO anyway, that the weather in this country is truly rubbish.
If you like cold winter with plenty of snow, forget it. If you like warm reliable summers, forget it. If you like sunshine, forget it.
Yes, it's rubbish, but it's very liveable. The weather won't kill you here. You can walk to work pretty much everyday of the year without too much worry, and you can do it knowing you aren't going to get hypothermia or sunstroke.

It's not ideal for me, but I love it here, and I love it enough to not worry about the poor climate. There are many other things that make this country great!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth94 View Post
For as long as humans have cared to write about it, British weather has been the subject of scorn and mockery. But is this perception, one that is often perpetuated by British people themselves, a fair one?

The UK is fortunate to have a stable climate, with no extremes. Summer is never too hot, and winter is never too cold. Although there is no real set pattern, no one can doubt it is unpredictable. Summer is generally warm, although heatwaves taking temperatures throughout much of the country to the late 20's or early 30's Celsius have become increasingly common.

For those of us who enjoy winter, yes we're a rare breed, it is cold enough to get that winter feeling but not cold to the point where it's deeply uncomfortable. The temperature seems to be a pleasant surprise for many winter visitors, who expect it to be freezing cold, but find that daytime temperatures generally stay well above freezing, and the nights generally stay above that threshold.

Of course Britain is famous for it's rain, but even this is exaggerated. It's a statistical fact that London, famously a "rainy city", gets less annual rainfall and wet days than Paris, Berlin, Rome and even Sydney. The country is also famously cloudy, yet in this respect it doesn't differ from any other country in western Europe, although the wind can be stronger in some areas, especially the western coasts.

I know it's not everybody's ideal climate, as it's completely subjective. For someone like me who feels uncomfortable in hot weather and very cold weather, it's ideal.

What I would like to know is:

- Does British weather live up to it's negative, often comedic stereotype?

- Why does Britain in particular get singled out for its weather when half a dozen or so other countries in Northern Europe have climates that are practically identical? Why do they escape the stigma?

No, it does not live up to the supposed stereotype.

I think the bad rap is because the British themselves have overhyped the climate as rainy and cloudy. Most people that visit are pleasantly surprised.

Florida does the opposite. It hypes up its own climate (the media there and the tourist industry) to have everyone believe it is wonderfully warm in winter. Woe the unsuspecting visitor that arrives during an arctic outbreak. They return home very disappointed and some I have known have vowed to stick to the Carib in winter for certain warmth.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
The UK is fortunate to have a stable climate, with no extremes. Summer is never too hot, and winter is never too cold.
London has recorded a higher temperature than Miami this year.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
There is absolutely no doubt, IMO anyway, that the weather in this country is truly rubbish.
If you like cold winter with plenty of snow, forget it. If you like warm reliable summers, forget it. If you like sunshine, forget it.
Yes, it's rubbish, but it's very liveable. The weather won't kill you here. You can walk to work pretty much everyday of the year without too much worry, and you can do it knowing you aren't going to get hypothermia or sunstroke.

It's not ideal for me, but I love it here, and I love it enough to not worry about the poor climate. There are many other things that make this country great!
Not rubbish at all. Way too strong of a description imo. What is rubbish is a winter climate that sends your body thru convulsions of 20-30F degree temp changes over the course of two or three days. Welcome to winter in this continental climate.

Some of us long for stability in temps and despise the wacked out ups and downs we get every late autumn, winter, and early spring.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Florida does the opposite. It hypes up its own climate (the media there and the tourist industry) to have everyone believe it is wonderfully warm in winter. Woe the unsuspecting visitor that arrives during an arctic outbreak. They return home very disappointed and some I have known have vowed to stick to the Carib in winter for certain warmth.
Admittedly it would have taken me by surprise. I'd always assumed Florida was warm throughout the year.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Admittedly it would have taken me by surprise. I'd always assumed Florida was warm throughout the year.

Well, on local tv stations here I'm already seeing the tv tourist commercials for FL showing nothing but blazing sun and summer like conditions. They will be shown all winter long in my area. Many of us though know that you have to constantly check the forecast before you leave lol.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well, on local tv stations here I'm already seeing the tv tourist commercials for FL showing nothing but blazing sun and summer like conditions. They will be shown all winter long in my area. Many of us though know that you have to constantly check the forecast before you leave lol.
Florida is very warm in the winter - the odd sporadic arctic front doesn't change that. Orlando in January is as warm as July here.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
London has recorded a higher temperature than Miami this year.
It's important to note that it was the hottest recorded day in London's history, 36.7C (98.06F). So I'd refrain from reading too much into it.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
It's important to note that it was the hottest recorded day in London's history, 36.7C (98.06F). So I'd refrain from reading too much into it.
The hottest July day. August reached 38.1c at Kew Gardens in 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather