Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 02:33 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Thing is, if Trump's "low tax" plan gets put in place, expect that debt to skyrocket even higher.

I don't wanna hear about how R's are better than D's about not piling on debt - they're both bad...lol. Just keep those deficits to 3% of GDP (or lower), we'll be fine.
Did you miss the part where I said that "Trump is a national emberassment". . Anyway I want a Republican for president this next term. Just not Trump or Carson. If it comes to Trump or Carson against a Democrat I'm afraid I'd have to support the latter.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:34 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Deporting illegals would be great for those who have to compete against them. They'd get higher wages. You can't effing live on the wages some of those jobs are paying. It's not that Americans won't do them-they always did them in the past, till big business won out and got the endless cheap labor they wanted in the form of immigration nonenforcement. Changing the culture of that is essential. Anything else is anti-American working (and middle) class
I understand where you're coming from - I thought the same way you did until 2011, when Georgia decided to kick out the illegals. They had to reverse course pretty quickly when the economy started going into a death spiral. They had farmers on TV crying, since their crops were rotting in the fields. They were willing to pay $15 an hour plus bonuses, but nobody could do the work. They did try busing some probationers down to the farms to pick crops, but none lasted more than a week. The guy who lasted the longest (he really, really wanted to work) was crying too, but he just couldn't do it - his body just wouldn't let him.

It was a difficult lesson to learn for all of us down here - and this is why I think differently than I used to. Because I know from experience what would happen if those workers were no longer here. Life would suck pretty hard, trust me. Reality is a tough school.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Did you miss the part where I said that "Trump is a national emberassment". . Anyway I want a Republican for president this next term. Just not Trump or Carson. If it comes to Trump or Carson against a Democrat I'm afraid I'd have to support the latter.
Trump or Carson for the nomination!...LOL.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
^NOOOOOOOO!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
I don't think debt matters that much - it gets inflated away over time anyhow. Just like we never really paid back the crushing debt we incurred in WWII.

The key metric is to keep deficits to less than 3% of GDP, which is about what we're running right now.
Agreed that's a more useful metric, what we have to pay out a year is what the cost is of debt is. Deficit as % of GDP. Look at World War II! Government borrowing must have crowded out any private borrowing, everyone dumps their saving and assets to treasury bonds. Economy size, or at least GDP must have gotten a big boost. But all for war.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred...es/FYFSGDA188S

Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from - I thought the same way you did until 2011, when Georgia decided to kick out the illegals. They had to reverse course pretty quickly when the economy started going into a death spiral. They had farmers on TV crying, since their crops were rotting in the fields. They were willing to pay $15 an hour plus bonuses, but nobody could do the work. They did try busing some probationers down to the farms to pick crops, but none lasted more than a week. The guy who lasted the longest (he really, really wanted to work) was crying too, but he just couldn't do it - his body just wouldn't let him.

It was a difficult lesson to learn for all of us down here - and this is why I think differently than I used to. Because I know from experience what would happen if those workers were no longer here. Life would suck pretty hard, trust me. Reality is a tough school.
Kicking out a large essential workforce at once is a bad idea, it's hard to find replacements at once. Sure, we need some immigrant labor. But the level of unskilled immigrant is more than necessary and just lowers wages — not all illegals are farmers.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/200...igration/?_r=1

North of the Border - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

The usual Republican "guest worker" program does not nothing to prevent immigration from lowering wages, by design of course.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Agreed that's a more useful metric, what we have to pay out a year is what the cost is of debt is. Deficit as % of GDP. Look at World War II! Government borrowing must have crowded out any private borrowing, everyone dumps their saving and assets to treasury bonds. Economy size, or at least GDP must have gotten a big boost. But all for war.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred...es/FYFSGDA188S
If only we could have fought WWII about 10 years sooner, which would have resolved the Great Depression pretty quickly.

If it wasn't for the colossal amount of spending we had in the most recent depression, we'd probably still be in it - that spending went a long, long ways to get our heads above water. Many economists think we eased back on the throttle too soon, choking off growth and this is why we're having lackluster growth currently. We may need another big shot in the arm (6% for a couple years) in infrastructure building to really get this country on a solid economic footing. Once we're growing at a good 3-4% clip, the deficits tend to resolve themselves, just like they did back in the 90's.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Kicking out a large essential workforce at once is a bad idea, it's hard to find replacements at once. Sure, we need some immigrant labor. But the level of unskilled immigrant is more than necessary and just lowers wages — not all illegals are farmers.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/200...igration/?_r=1

North of the Border - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

The usual Republican "guest worker" program does not nothing to prevent immigration from lowering wages, by design of course.
The way to take care of this is to shut off current immigration for a few years - and the percentage of the ones already here would drop over time. Give them a reasonable path to citizenship, while limiting newcomers. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Wait, I'm starting to sound like Obama. The horror!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
The way to take care of this is to shut off current immigration for a few years - and the percentage of the ones already here would drop over time. Give them a reasonable path to citizenship, while limiting newcomers. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Wait, I'm starting to sound like Obama. The horror!
Are you kidding? Obama wouldn't ever shut the borders.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:58 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Meanwhile, multiple terrorist attacks in Paris. Three shootouts, at least 18 killed. Bombs going off near the National Stadium where a friendly match France-Germany was played.

Rumour has it that a theatre might be taken as a hostage situation.

Stade de France is closed and people are refused to leave the stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather