Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

dug up some post of conversations I had on the topic and wanted to add to it and thought they deserve their own thread. Hopefully whenever has something to post on a frost hollow, they could use this thread and bump it up. Don't think we have any threads on them other than some rate the climates of frost hollows. Any local frost hollows near you? Or somewhere else that interest you.

===========================================

Local topography is important at how potent a frost hollow is. Both in the Adirondacks and White Mountains, the coldest non-high elevation temperatures are found at locations that have favorable topography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Narrow valleys surrounded by very steep mountainsides wouldn't work as well as flat one with more gentle terrain, other factors being equal. The portion of visible sky will be less and more infrared will be re-radiated towards the ground instead of just being lost in space. Drainage area would be an important factor. Are there closed frost hollows in the Northeast? I assume there are no limestone soils, so no (limestone allows for water infiltration into the ground, creating depressions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's the champion frost hollow of northern New York / Northern New England. Compare with Pinkham Notch, in a deep valley surrounded by tall mountains (Mt. Washington to the west, peaks around 4400-4800 feet to the east) and 500 feet higher. Saranac Lake has colder nights. Not sure if that region of the Adirondacks are naturally chillier (or rather have a higher diurnal range from being more continental) or it's local topography. Would have thought a deep narrow valley would be the best for radiational cooling with cold air descending to the valley bottom. But maybe a wider valley would be better because there's more landmass to cool?

Normals Monthly Station Details: SARANAC LAKE ADIRONDACK REGIONAL AIRPORT, NY US, GHCND:USW00094740 | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Normals Monthly Station Details: PINKHAM NOTCH, NH US, GHCND:USC00276818 | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
I had checked the stats of Whitefield, New Hampshire recently. It's on the edges of the White Mountains in a wide, flat-ish valley at 1000 feet or so. Pinkham Notch is at 2000 feet in a narrow V-shaped valley surrounded by tall mountains. While Pinkham Notch has warmer lows than Saranac Lake, Whitefield is almost as cold. Whitefield isn't far from Pinkham Notch, the terrain must make it have colder nights. So the less rugged local topography creates cold temperatures

Normals Monthly Station Details: WHITEFIELD MOUNT WASHINGTON REGIONAL AIRPORT, NH US, GHCND:USW00054728 | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:54 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
An impressive frost hollow in the Swiss Alps

Quote:
Yup it's in the Juras, near this other frost hollow on the side of a road crossing the main range:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/de...98b91de27a6faa

The weather station is about 3 km further south down this backroad:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/de...7a6faa!6m1!1e1

The data is there:
Données météorologiques | Agrometeo

If you want to check the temps for the frost hollow, select:
1: "Région lémanique"
2: "Amburnex-Combe"
3: the type of data you wanna check

I passed by the weather station cross-country skiing from the nearby French town of Les Rousses (that's how I found out about the Agrometeo website). Took a couple pics from the region. The frost hollow where the station is located is in the third photo:
Spoiler

[

I once finished a skiing session late, around sunset. The temperature at the bottom of the valleys plunges fast once the sun sets and often a little while before. The difference between the ambient air (say, the house in the third pic) and the cold air pool at the bottom is striking. I find it fascinating.
Quote:
It even gets frosts in July, not just -0.1°C, but a -3.7°C! Elevation looks like it's around 13°C. Did the recent cold in eastern Europe affect any of the night temperatures there this month? Last winter had only one -30°C temperatures, still very cold and variable. Oh, whoops, found the elevation:

http://www.agrometeo.ch/amburnex.php

Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,510 times
The Place who gets the coldest temperatures in Germany is Funtensee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Known as the coldest spot in Germany, the lake is the site where the country's record lowest temperature, −45.9 °C (-50.6 °F), was recorded on 24 December 2001. It is theorised that due to the unique situation of trapped cold air, a temperature of -55 °C (-67 °F) is possible. The extreme cold spot at the lake is said to result in a reverse tree line, as no trees can grow at any point below about 60m above the lake, although studies have found that it was the result of overgrazing animals. Temperatures are regularly monitored by a private weather station installed by Jörg Kachelmann.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funtensee

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Funtensee3.jpg

Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,808 times
I have read an old paper which claims that a frost hollow outside Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire (to the Northwest of London) probably has the most continental climate of Britain. Elevation is 177 ft.

A and B is average high and low.

Thermal characteristics of a hertfordshire frost-hollow - Hawke - 2006 - Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society - Wiley Online Library

-2.5 °C average low in January is quite impressive, of course only 1930-1942 but I don't think that was a particular cold period?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
I have read an old paper which claims that a frost hollow outside Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire (to the Northwest of London) probably has the most continental climate of Britain. Elevation is 177 ft.

A and B is average high and low.

Thermal characteristics of a hertfordshire frost-hollow - Hawke - 2006 - Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society - Wiley Online Library

-2.5 °C average low in January is quite impressive, of course only 1930-1942 but I don't think that was a particular cold period?
Rickmansworth and Benson are probably the most famous frost hollows in the UK. Gatwick Airport and Kew Gardens have weaker frost hollow effects too.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...mate/gcpjxj1hq
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...mate/gcpfgzz2b
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...mate/gcpuckhb6

Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
Quote:
An impressive frost hollow in the Swiss Alps
That would be the Swiss Jura though.

Another potent frost hollow in Switzerland would be the Glattalp. It's higher up and the thermometer measured -52.5°C (-63°F) there back in 1991. Checked the relief map, it's a closed frost hollow, which means cold air can't escape by gravity.

This page mentions a -34°C low last month, 10°C colder than Samedan that morning:
Weather to ski

It also reached -45.9°C on a morning when La Brévine, the current holder of Switzerlan's official cold record (at -41.8°C), only went down to -27.6°C:
Minus 45,4 Grad! Kachelmann meldet: Glattalp bricht Kälterekord - Blick

Problem is, as the article mentions, the location of the thermometer is apparently far from ideal. Would be nice to have a weather station up to the WMO standards there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
The average low in January over that period in Paris was about the same as that of the 1951-1980 period. I assume the anomalies would be about the samein SE England. So yeah it was definitely colder than nowadays, but not really a freak 10-year period either.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:29 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,399 times
Quote:
That would be the Swiss Jura though.

Another potent frost hollow in Switzerland would be the Glattalp. It's higher up and the thermometer measured -52.5°C (-63°F) there back in 1991. Checked the relief map, it's a closed frost hollow, which means cold air can't escape by gravity.

This page mentions a -34°C low last month, 10°C colder than Samedan that morning:
Weather to ski

It also reached -45.9°C on a morning when La Brévine, the current holder of Switzerlan's official cold record (at -41.8°C), only went down to -27.6°C:
Minus 45,4 Grad! Kachelmann meldet: Glattalp bricht Kälterekord - Blick
What are the record lows in summer? Are negative double digits possible in June, July or August?

Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
I dunno, I haven't found a link to the history of that weather station. But I suppose negativ double digits are possible, at least in early June, given the temps recorded at the Combe des Amburnex at a significantly lower elevation.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,931 times
Damn, all this talk about the abundance of frost hollows in the Juras makes me want to go there so badly. But, I have neither the time nor the energy, nor do I know how to get there, and even if I did I don't have the proper gear to just sit and camp there for hours at -30C in the middle of the night.

Anyways, the best region for frost hollows that I know of is the Utah sinks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
There's a sinkhole in northern Utah which is very effective at causing temperature inversions.

These temperature inversions are so pronounced that it can be -50C at the bottom of the valley while it's only -15C at the top of the valley.

It's responsible for the second-coldest temperature ever recorded in the contiguous US: -69F / -56C on Feb 1, 1985

Spoiler

Peter Sinks is a natural sinkhole in northern Utah that is one of the coldest places in the contiguous United States.
Peter Sinks is located 8,100 feet (2,500 m) above sea level, in the Bear River Mountains east of Logan, within the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Due to temperature inversions that trap cold nocturnal air, it routinely produces the coldest temperatures in the state. Even in the summer, the bottom of the sinkhole rarely goes four consecutive days without freezing. It is so cold near the bottom of the hole that trees are unable to grow.

On 1 February 1985, a temperature of −69.3 °F (−56.3 °C) was recorded there, the lowest recorded temperature in Utah, and the second coldest temperature ever recorded in the continental United States.

Peter Sinks was discovered meteorologically by Utah State University student Zane Stephens in 1983. Stephens, along with the Utah Climate Center, placed measuring instruments in the valley in the winter of 1984. On February 1, 1985, Peter Sinks dropped to −69.3 °F (−56.3 °C), while another nearby valley, Middle Sink, located 3 miles to the north-east, dropped to −64 °F (−53 °C). Stephens hiked into Middle Sink to record the temperature personally. He then flew into Peter Sinks in a KUTV television station helicopter with broadcasting Meteorologist Mark Eubank. State Climatologist Gayle Bingham also traveled to the area and confirmed the temperature. The alcohol thermometer being used was retrieved and sent to the Bureau of Standards in Washington, D.C. to confirm the temperature.

Since 1985, Peter Sinks and Middle Sink have been studied extensively by Stephens and Tim Wright with the use of Campbell Scientific weather equipment. On January 29, 2002, the temperature dropped to −62 °F (−52 °C) at Middle Sink. Stephens and Wright's main study is the change in temperature through the inversion at these sites. The valleys act like a dam trapping cold air. The coldest of the air settles to the bottom of the valley. Stephens and Wright have found that temperatures between the cold air "lake" and the warmer air above the valley can be different by as much as 70°F (39°C).

Another area dense with frost hollows is the Adirondack Region in NY State. In fact, the regional airport there (KSLK) is located in one itself, and it has an average annual low of -31F (-35C). This region is also responsible for the lowest temperature ever recorded in the Eastern United States (east of Wisconsin, to be precise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._s...ature_extremes), which was a -52F (-47C) in Old Forge. Absolutely beautiful place btw.

Here is some data from KSLK in 2015:

https://weatherspark.com/history/316...-United-States

Last edited by Shalop; 02-04-2016 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,411 times
Most pronounced one in South/Central Florida. 27*N
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch...ogical_Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather