Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
They are different species again. You can't compare a native Oak species to Europe with a native North American Oak species. You have to compare the exact same species.

Are crepe myrtles blooming in Kharkiv? I doubt they even survive winter there. I know a zone 6a climate would kill a crepe myrtle lol. Some got severely damaged here from 4F.
Cold hardy oaks probably leaf later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
They are different species again. You can't compare a native Oak species to Europe with a native North American Oak species. You have to compare the exact same species.

Are crepe myrtles blooming in Kharkiv? I doubt they even survive winter there. I know a zone 6a climate would kill a crepe myrtle lol. Some got severely damaged here from 4F.
There must be London Planes in Philly? Most of them here started leafing last week, though small leaves still.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:33 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Here are some pics of the rolling hills of the piedmont of nc. Coming back from charlotte on Sunday a wreck happened on 85 so we were force to take a route back home that I have been dying to take. We went past the uwharrie mountains in central nc, which are a series of really high hills that are believed to be the remnant s of the most ancient mountain range on earth. Using imgur for these pics also, much better than photobucket.

This pic is from Asheboro, can still see high hills

lake in central nc

lake jordan, outside of Raleigh

Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Came home to a surprise. One of my Arborists dropped off some Cedar Logs for me. Not the greatest for firewood. Cedar is actually better and excellent for kindling but it will burn fine when seasoned..

Only thing is the oils in it makes it pop & spit so not recommended for fireplaces. BTU output is about 12 per cord. Just to compare Oak is 23BTU per cord.

The Aroma and the color is amazing!

Got the fire going a little right now. Didn't pass 54F(12C) today. This Cedar will be for Winter 2017-18. (I try to stay ahead 2 yrs)

Wow, I dunno if I could do that myself.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I wish I lived on the west coast sometimes, it looks like the weather there is perfect year round, especially in seattle. The east coast on the other hand fluctuates, it gets hotter than the northwest, but colder than all of the west coast. (except for florida and other deep south states of course.)

Although I will say, living in Maryland is not too bad. It does not get harsh summers or winters. Even when you look on the weather channel, it is never in the direct path of a jet stream. We can get quite hot and cold sometimes, but we dont get as cold as rochester new york or as hot as savannah georgia.
Yeah, the weather's all right, though I wish Baltimore had Norfolk's winter.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
So unfair, Maryland is so boring when it comes to nature
Get out more, I like the swamps and mountains and dunes.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Here are some pics of the rolling hills of the piedmont of nc. Coming back from charlotte on Sunday a wreck happened on 85 so we were force to take a route back home that I have been dying to take. We went past the uwharrie mountains in central nc, which are a series of really high hills that are believed to be the remnant s of the most ancient mountain range on earth. Using imgur for these pics also, much better than photobucket.

This pic is from Asheboro, can still see high hills

lake in central nc

lake jordan, outside of Raleigh

Nice pics, nice and sunny out. Wouldn't look nearly as nice if it was cloudy.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
There must be London Planes in Philly? Most of them here started leafing last week, though small leaves still.
Same story here, I began noticing small leaves on the London Planes late last week. They're usually one of the last trees to start leafing. Crepe Myrtles are dead last, although once they start leafing they finish fairly quickly.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You should and yeah, looks typical for me too....in that spot. We are definitely normal now. No more early. This is weirdly slow.
Well here's some. Haven't been getting out much. Yesterday evening:

this evening

tulips fading here

not as faded here

this photo had issues in the low light and the tiny phone camera sensor

Spoiler

Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Same story here, I began noticing small leaves on the London Planes late last week. They're usually one of the last trees to start leafing. Crepe Myrtles are dead last, although once they start leafing they finish fairly quickly.

How do you tell the difference between a London plane tree and an American Sycamore native to here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather