Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 10:34 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguru View Post
Yes that's what I was saying.

The East Coast USA can definitely get potent cold spells but they are often very short in duration lasting only a week at most before the temp rebounds again. Places like Charlotte can reach subzero highs and more only for temperatures to rebound up to 20c all in the middle of January.

In my opinion a place that is cold and is categorised as having a cold winter climate will not experience such variations. Could you imagine if a ski resort had those variations? The snow would never last!
Yeah, I wouldn't call the East Coast south of Boston as a cold winter climate. Interior New England and Upstate NY certainly are though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:34 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:

The East Coast USA can definitely get potent cold spells but they are often very short in duration lasting only a week at most before the temp rebounds again. Places like Charlotte can reach subzero highs and more only for temperatures to rebound up to 20c all in the middle of January.

In my opinion a place that is cold and is categorised as having a cold winter climate will not experience such variations. Could you imagine if a ski resort had those variations? The snow would never last!
They are Not Cold,Just are susceptible to Quickly Cold Spells(Somes very Cold),who dosnt lasts longer.

But its Mostly due to the Lower Latitude-Higher Sun,while in Eastern Europe the Higher Latitude-Lower Sun Helps the Cold to Last more time.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 PM

330 posts, read 228,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
They are Not Cold,Just are susceptible to Quickly Cold Spells(Somes very Cold),who dosnt lasts longer.

But its Mostly due to the Lower Latitude-Higher Sun,while in Eastern Europe the Higher Latitude-Lower Sun Helps the Cold to Last more time.
Are you sure? I think it's due in part to the Continental nature of the climate more than anything else.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Two from today

Last edited by Botev1912; 04-09-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post

Seems like air masses just last longer in general in Eastern Europe than the Eastern US. Whether its warm or cold anomalies.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 PM

753 posts, read 838,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Two from today
Very nice!

You guys are a bit further along than we are. We've had a whole bunch of trees that suddenly greened up over the past few days but not quite to the extent of that first picture, and still a good amount that are bare or just barely budding. That should change within the next week or so, though.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seems like air masses just last longer in general in Eastern Europe than the Eastern US. Whether its warm or cold anomalies.
Its what Amazes me in Weather.

Other place that have a Interesting Climate is Eastern/Northeastern Asia.

Beijing for Example gets Warm so Quickly,they are Forecasted to get High 70s for the Whole week,while in the Same Latitude in US are getting Cold and Snow.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 PM

330 posts, read 228,717 times
In Spring my climate is very similar to North America. We go through frequent transitions from snow to warmth.

I think my April is probably what a winter in DC is like except obviously colder.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:47 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:

That's what makes the east coast a great place, when we get below average weather its very rare for it to last more than 2 weeks consistently day on and day end with no breaks, even during the second half of feb 2015 when we were in the midst in what was the coldest weather I had experienced for so long, we had 2 days of nice weather, in the 1 day in the middle of the outbreak that nearly broke 60, then another day at the end in the upper 50s also. Oceanic climates seem to get stuck into a cold pattern and it lasts a while then a warm one that lasts a while. Also subfreezing highs are only 2-3 days a year in charlotte, 70 degree days tend to be more during a winter that sub freezing days. Take this week here in Raleigh, yesterday nearly broke 80, tonight we will have a frost.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:24 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Low of 22°F(-5.5C) this morning. Birds having trouble finding food.

Saw a Robin land in this dirt area, poke at it hoping for food then left when it realized it was frozen solid.

This is what it feels like out there. In F°

My wood stove is cranking like its February. Need to load it up again.

Last edited by Cambium; 04-05-2016 at 05:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather