Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

St. Albans, England last week.

Okay, this should be interesting. So tonight I had dinner with friends. My good friend Brian works for a pharma company and just came back from the UK. He was in England for a week at a retreat his company had at St. Albans England. He took these photos just last week. I'm sorry, but this locale just 20 miles north of London looks just as dead as MA or CT. The trees are totally leafless.

All these photos of London looking as green as here, yet only 20 miles north it looks like not a leaf on the trees? Is this just a very cold sink hole in St. Albans, or is London really a giant UHI that is way ahead of its outlying burbs? Doylestown, PA 20 miles north of Philly has more green on its trees than these photos.

Before the UK folks bash me for insinuating something, I looked at more photos on his phone that just these two. He even said the trees were way behind there. I'm simply curious why this area north of London looked so leafless in comparison to the photos of B87.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have folks on here posting photos of St. Albans. Is it the kind of trees there, or is it a cold hole outside of London?

Last edited by tom77falcons; 04-27-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^ Wow, what did that smell like? That's some beautiful wood.

Cedar smells very nice. Cool looking wood.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Dandelions:

Now your photos beg a real question for me. Your winter is most definitely colder than here, yet your trees look either the same or ahead of ours. Our Jan, Feb, Mar, and April are far warmer than yours. What gives?

This is why I'm convinced it is the species of trees you have there vs here. If you had our trees there with that climate, no way they would be that green unless you have been way way above average in temperatures. This is just fact.

We cannot compare locations anymore and say because one area is more green than another it is because of climate. Just no way that Kharkiv, Ukraine is anywhere near as warm as here in winter or spring.

I will now take all these photos of very green trees in Spring in Eastern Europe with that in mind. Your trees are just very different and most likely far more cold tolerant than here. The record low in Kharkiv would probably kill many of our trees, which are a mix of northern and southern US native species. We have never gone anywhere near -32F, which is the record low in your location.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
St. Albans, England last week.

Okay, this should be interesting. So tonight I had dinner with friends. My good friend Brian works for a pharma company and just came back from the UK. He was in England for a week at a retreat his company had at St. Albans England. He took these photos just last week. I'm sorry, but this locale just 20 miles north of London looks just as dead as MA or CT. The trees are totally leafless.

All these photos of London looking as green as here, yet only 20 miles north it looks like not a leaf on the trees? Is this just a very cold sink hole in St. Albans, or is London really a giant UHI that is way ahead of its outlying burbs? Doylestown, PA 20 miles north of Philly has more green on its trees than these photos.

Before the UK folks bash me for insinuating something, I looked at more photos on his phone that just these two. He even said the trees were way behind there. I'm simply curious why this area north of London looked so leafless in comparison to the photos of B87.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have folks on here posting photos of St. Albans. Is it the kind of trees there, or is it a cold hole outside of London?

Maybe a different species? The trees in rural Surrey are definitely looking the same as here, so it could be a frost hollow. They could also be selectively chosen because they looked dead, or if they are ash trees, they might actually be dead. People on other forums have been talking about how dead other parts of the country look, it should be green by now.

St Albans is very close to Rickmansworth, which has some of the coldest nights in southern England.

I will be up north and then in Surrey this weekend, so I'll take a couple of pics.

Last edited by B87; 04-28-2016 at 01:24 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 01:42 AM
B87

A residential street near Heathrow, taken about 10 mins ago.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
A nice morning, but those folks are dressed for cold.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Hyde Park in Leeds 2 days ago:

I think it's mostly dependent on the species of tree. Some have totally leafed out while others are more or less bare. Things are still behind where they should be.

Same date last year:

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-28-2016 at 02:21 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 02:17 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
A nice morning, but those folks are dressed for cold.
We had a low of 0c this morning which can't be more than 1-2c off the record for the date. At the time the pic was taken it was only around 3c. It would be warmer at 8:30am on a typical January morning!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:09 AM
B87

Looking at those St Albans pics again, the trees in the background as well as the tree out of shot on the left, appear to be in leaf. It must be a different species in the middle of the foreground, such as a sweet chestnut or an Ash?

Leeds looking similar to that pic I posted this morning.

Last edited by B87; 04-28-2016 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Looking at those St Albans pics again, the trees in the background as well as the tree out of shot on the left, appear to be in leaf. It must be a different species in the middle of the foreground, such as a sweet chestnut or an Ash?

Leeds looking similar to that pic I posted this morning.
Frost hollow or not, there's no way it's going to be that bare in St Albans. Like you said, it's probably just a different species.
We're still well behind where we should be though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather