Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times

Advertisements

It was 38 degrees this morning. It was warmer in SC where my brother lives. I had on sweat pants and 2 sweatshirts. Felt like I was in Ohio again.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/wkmg/20061122/lo_wkmg/10375709&printer=1 (broken link)
They even had snow flurries in Orlando. (link above)
Can't wait until Sunday. Back in the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 07:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
It was 38 degrees this morning. It was warmer in SC where my brother lives. I had on sweat pants and 2 sweatshirts. Felt like I was in Ohio again.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/wkmg/20061122/lo_wkmg/10375709&printer=1 (broken link)
They even had snow flurries in Orlando. (link above)
Can't wait until Sunday. Back in the 80s.

That makes no sense. If it was 38 degrees, the snow would never form. Water doesnt freeze till 32. It could be possible that water froze 2000 feet above ground where temps are right at freezing then. But wouldnt the time it takes snow to descend 2000 feet be enough to melt and become rain before it hits the ground? Id like some logical explanations, this is too unbelievable. Snow in central Florida in late fall? Any snow anywhere in Florida at any time is highly unusual but this case sounds like a miracle!

Old 11-22-2006, 07:27 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
That makes no sense. If it was 38 degrees, the snow would never form. Water doesnt freeze till 32. It could be possible that water froze 2000 feet above ground where temps are right at freezing then. But wouldnt the time it takes snow to descend 2000 feet be enough to melt and become rain before it hits the ground? Id like some logical explanations, this is too unbelievable. Snow in central Florida in late fall? Any snow anywhere in Florida at any time is highly unusual but this case sounds like a miracle!
I have seen snow up here when the air was 43 F!

All it has to be is a lot colder a few hundred feet or so up to see snow I think. That's about the best explaination I can think for us seeing wet snow in the low 40's F.

I also don't know the exact definitions of what's tropical and what's not. But it would probably be safe to assume that tropical means no frost, ever; not even in the last 200 years. Key West has an all time record low of 40 F so it makes the cut, but even southern Dade county on the mainland has reached down to at least 28 F for sure.

Part of why this matters is probably because some tropical plants could be killed by even the slightest frost.

Another definition I heard is that every month of the year has a monthly average of 20 C (68 F) or higher. That's an average between the daytime high and nighttime low. This most definetly excludes all of central FL.

Miami and parts of mainland south FL might have high enough averages to squeek by with this, likely due to the "heat island" effect from lots of pavement, concrete, cars etc. This effect usually keeps urban areas a few degrees warmer at night than rural or natural areas.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:31 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Yeah, it can snow even above 40F depending on the air temperature at higher elevations that the precipitation is coming through. We get snow here when it's in the high 30's and even mixed snow/rain at 40F at times. It won't stick if the ground is too warm, except maybe for a brief time on grass and such, but it will snow! And the warmer snows are prettier I think...bigger flakes, sometimes HUGE, fluffy, quiet, and like a winter wonderland where you can walk around sometimes in even a light coat and it doesn't feel cold, but the snow is falling heavily all around you.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 PM

See my above post about snow.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need_affordable_home
The weather website said it got down to 49 in Miami.
Don't go by the websites! Miami is a big city and the temps can vary quite a bit! It was 42 outside my house at 7AM!
38?! Grammy, where you at? You must be in south dade - it's always colder down there! (Or are you not in dade?)
NAH, - 72 indoors is what I had WITH HEAT!!! My room was 65 before the heat!!! Again, different areas can vary quite a bit in temps! My mom is up in PBC & swears it wasn't as cold as down here! There are PLENTY of times that we're colder than Broward & Palm Beach for some reason... But I was OUTSIDE when it was still in the 40's! So I needed my layers!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
How do you know it was 42? Did you have a thermometer? That is highly unusual for Miami, especially in November! That heat must cost you alot! Dont faint when you check your bills!

For snow to survive above 32f, it has to be huge and falling fast! Hail can survive because its big and doesnt melt completely before reaching the ground. The bigger the snow, the faster it falls and the more survives. Temperatures of say 33f to 36f at ground level may be cold enough to allow snow to survive and reach the ground. A few thousand feet altitude, snow forms and starts melting once it reaches the 33f zone. Depending on the size of the snowflakes, how cold it is, how fast the wind blows them downwards, etc. Snow surviving with a 43f ground temperature? Wow how big do snow flakes get???????

Howcome ive never seen snow in West Palm Beach? Its gotten to the high 30s before. I remember back in high school the teacher said if it snows, I will let the class go outside and enjoy the miracle! I thought she was joking because it was impossible!

Can something be considered tropical if it has ever gotten down to 32f but never again? What if the average temperature of 68 drops to 66 average for one year? I think different people have different ideas of tropical. I consider something tropical if it never drops to 32 and never snows(with the exception of a miracle) Therefore I consider all of south Florida and below to be tropical since ive never seen freezing temps nor snow in all my life. Central Florida gets just right to freezing and it occasionally snows, but that is a highly unusual event. I consider central Florida thru Georgia subtropical meaning its a warm climate with occasional freezing and snow in winter.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:40 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
38?! Grammy, where you at?
I'm located a little southeast of Lake Wales. Temps for us and Orlando (about an hour away) can often vary by 5 degrees, so I don't know how cold they got the other night. It can definitely snow above 32 degrees though.
All I know is it's 7 degrees warmer this morning (yeah!! ), so it's up to 65 in here. Yesterday it was 62 degrees inside. Brrrrrr.
The nice thing about Florida, NAH, is that the sun comes up and we warm to mid 60s--low 70s during these cold fronts and we don't have a cold, damp ground surrounding our homes.
Not the case in Ohio, PA or WV. Often there are weeks of these temps--even colder--no sun, wind and a damp chill in the air from the wet ground. It is much harder to keep a house warm then.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Water doesnt freeze till 32. It could be possible that water froze 2000 feet above ground where temps are right at freezing then. But wouldnt the time it takes snow to descend 2000 feet be enough to melt and become rain before it hits the ground? Id like some logical explanations, this is too unbelievable. Snow in central Florida in late fall? Any snow anywhere in Florida at any time is highly unusual but this case sounds like a miracle!
It's possible that it could have been below freezing a few hundred feet up. The rule about 1 degree drop for x-number of feet is largely only correct with stable weather conditions. I've heard of "heat inversions" that trap pollutants near the ground, there could be something similar and freaky happening with the wind when there was snow at 38 F.

I said it snowed at 43 F. I didn't say it accumulated. We consider it snowing when white, fluffy stuff falls from the sky and it doesn't matter if it sticks. At 43 F it was still snow up until the instant it hit the ground.

I also just thought another reason for the confusion; being from Florida you're probably accustomed to most things having some lingering heat from the sun, however subtle. The ground and surrounding objects is noticeably colder at say 50 F when it's been overcast (dark and gloomy) for a week than if it was sunny 24 hours earlier, it turns overcast and still is 50 F. The air 4 feet off the ground might be the same temp., but the ground would still be a few degrees warmer and would be radiating a little bit of heat.

elfyum: I understand your "pain", brother. Our house is heated to 72 F and sometimes my fingers feel pretty cold; about as cold as some of our porcelin or glass.

The idea about every month having an average of 68 F or more is a scientist's definition. I don't know whether their definition means every average month, every year or simply the average taken over a few decades. Parts of Hawaii at altitudes somewhere around 2,000 feet are classified as sub-tropical yet have never experienced frost.

If it was my definition, tropical would mean an average of 75 F or more every month.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:28 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Na, your slipping up here. Well, I'll give you a break since it's Thanksgiving Day. I came to this site to see today's map and it's not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather