Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which location do you think could support more species of broadleaf evergreens in the long run?
San Antonio, TX 7 35.00%
Scilly Isles, UK 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 PM

40 posts, read 45,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not a lot of variety in that photo though.

San Antonio gets the colder temperatures, even if it is infrequently. A lot of broadleafs just don't handle temps too far below freezing.

Scilly Isles is cooler, but not as cold -a big advantage.
That's just one street. Many more streets where that came from, and rife with various types of broadleaf evergreens.

Lots of subtropical broadleaf evergreens can handle temps below freezing; just look at those from East Asia. Are you going to say that Scilly supports more broadleaf evergreens than East Asia, then?

Plus, you never know, Scilly could have indeed recording some big time cold temps in the past, that San Antonio has never seen. Must be why the vegetation in Scilly is so whitebread and not much different than the typical English countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
The one with a wider variety of plants in general, whichever one that is.

San Antonio would likely be better than the Scilly Isles for tropical and desert species, while the Scilly Isles should be better for high altitude and cool/mild climate species. I don't know the answer, honestly.

Last edited by Infamous92; 03-18-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatrix View Post
That's just one street. Many more streets where that came from, and rife with various types of broadleaf evergreens.

Lots of subtropical broadleaf evergreens can handle temps below freezing; just look at those from East Asia. Are you going to say that Scilly supports more broadleaf evergreens than East Asia, then?

Plus, you never know, Scilly could have indeed recording some big time cold temps in the past, that San Antonio has never seen. Must be why the vegetation in Scilly is so whitebread and not much different than the typical English countryside.
The vast majority of Australian/NZ/ Pacific.SE Asian broadleaf evergreen are in trouble between O to -10C. From what I can find online, African broadleaf evergreen, aren't that hardy either.
I would think the Scilly isles probably could support more evergreen broadleaf species than East Asia.

I don't doubt that both San Antonio and the Scilly Isles, have seen much colder temperatures than records show.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of Australian/NZ/ Pacific.SE Asian broadleaf evergreen are in trouble between O to -10C. From what I can find online, African broadleaf evergreen, aren't that hardy either.
And, thus, many species would grow fine in San Antonio, reliably; the city rarely drops below the mid 20F range.

Quote:
I would think the Scilly isles probably could support more evergreen broadleaf species than East Asia.

I don't doubt that both San Antonio and the Scilly Isles, have seen much colder temperatures than records show.
I bet you that Scilly went down to deep sub-zero temps at some point in its history; that is why the native vegetation is so white-bread, despite the sheer mildness that is depicted on the records.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
San Antone

Old 03-18-2016, 10:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
And, thus, many species would grow fine in San Antonio, reliably; the city rarely drops below the mid 20F range.

I bet you that Scilly went down to deep sub-zero temps at some point in its history; that is why the native vegetation is so white-bread, despite the sheer mildness that is depicted on the records.

Hmmm let's look at how cold San Antonio got in the 1980's - 13F(1982), 9F(1983), and the coup de grace 6F (1989). Wanna bet that Scilly has never ever gotten that cold since whenever records starting being kept there. I believe the coldest ever in London is 12F (zone 8a). Pretty laughable considering many places in the South got colder than that in 2014.

The extreme cold anomalies ruin the climate down there imo.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Hmmm let's look at how cold San Antonio got in the 1980's - 13F(1982), 9F(1983), and the coup de grace 6F (1989). Wanna bet that Scilly has never ever gotten that cold since whenever records starting being kept there. I believe the coldest ever in London is 12F (zone 8a). Pretty laughable considering many places in the South got colder than that in 2014.

The extreme cold anomalies ruin the climate down there imo.
Scilly has gone below 0F in its history, no doubt; if it hadn't,and it was always with the mildness seen with the averages, then the vegetation would be exotic and subtropical, looking like New Zealand. Instead, the native vegetation of Scilly looks like typical white-bread English country-side, and the vegetation of such landscapes are very cold hardy (down to USDA zone 6). London's record low is below 0F.

In contrast, the native vegetation in San Antonio is more exotic and exciting; lots of flora with a distinct Mexican aesthetic.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:16 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Ah, the cold epoch troll is back. Neither London nor Scilly have ever gone below 0F.

Scilly has kept records for far longer than SA, and the coldest it has ever been is -7c. On the other hand, SA has been colder than that in at least 4 months.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:05 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:

Native Species from the most elevated parts of Southern Brazil Highlands would survive well,some years temperatures fall to -10C and they dont die.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:21 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
...and have no real clue of what truly goes on.
A bit like you & the nonsense you post, on this & your previously banned accounts too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather