Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 03:15 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times

Advertisements

Well to be fair, geography is something I was never taught in school, and I imagine it's the same for many others. I learned nearly everything on my own, and at a very young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 03:15 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Based on what I know about Tom, way too cold in the winter and shoulder seasons for him. Also very chilly nights in the summer. Probably not enough summer convection either.

Parts of SW Ontario have warm enough summer nights, LOL ...averaging 18C ...similar to yours.

As for shoulder seasons...Osoyoos and Spences Bridge warm up faster than Philly in spring.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:17 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Well to be fair, geography is something I was never taught in school, and I imagine it's the same for many others. I learned nearly everything on my own, and at a very young age.
Same for me, though I took geography in both sixth and ninth grade. I guess I have a bit unrealistic expectations out of people lol

Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Same for me, though I took geography in both sixth and ninth grade. I guess I have a bit unrealistic expectations out of people lol
Maybe it's just that I went to crappy schools lol, I would've loved to study geography even further, but a basic geography course wouldn't have been of any use to me, aside from boosting my average.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My friend lives in Oshawa, Canada and despite it being May they still have temperatures in the 40s-60's with nary a 70 degree day in sight. Canada seems like a beautiful, but expensive place to live (at least near Ontario) but I could never live somewhere that cold for so long.
Not a 70 degree in sight ...

Well I must be hallucinating, forecast high tomorrow for Toronto is 22C / 72F
and Oshawa is just east of T.O. ...I'm sure it'll be over 21C

Sure we're having a cool May so far, so is NE USA ....
still a lot of May to go yet, who knows last week in May might be scorching hot.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,410,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Geography is my favorite subject, I learned geography in a peculiar way through a peculiar hobby for a peculiar 6 year old. When I was a young boy, by young boy I mean 4-9, I started collecting maps, drawing maps, spending time looking through the atlas, looking at cities, countries, mountains, everything. I took a whole notebook and dedicated my time drawing maps of the world, I maybe ended up drawing 100+ maps! I remember getting in trouble one day and being sent to my room, I had a poster and used my time in my room to draw a huge map of the world. Still have it to this day. Remember the first globe I ever got, I was so excited and happy, I was only 6 at the time too lol!

I know people who cant name the 7 continents to this day, despite that being what we started with in every history class I took up to the 8th grade.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I'm not sure about the exact meaning in English, but do you guys necessarily associate the word "jacket" with something warm / heavy ?
No, anything more than your main shirt.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Canada has a bad rap weather wise.

I always hear from folks on C-D that Canada is a cold country and how can anyone like to live here, thinking our year round sport is skiing and dog sled racing, riding skidoos, and we live in igloos with polar bears skulking around. Somewhere in our sovereign Arctic yes, south no.

With 4 distinct seasons, average annual temperatures mean nothing and does not give a true picture of regional Canadian weather on a per season outlook. There is a saying you can't hold the weather man accountable because Alberta weather can change without notice. A skiff of snow has happened in April and August (very rarely of course).

Summer in my Edmonton, Alberta can be hot, exceeding +90F. It is a rare summer that we don't have +80F to +90F for a few days in a row and more than once. For example, recent and present temperature in this Spring month of May our temps have been in excess of +80F, today forecast at +84F. I don't recall a summer in the last 10 years that remained as low as +70F.

Our temps this winter, lows -4F & +5F. Still not your average California or Pacific Northwest, I grant you.

Eastern and Central Canada had bad winter storms but not so in Western Canada where it has been mild.
Any news you might hear about Canada comes from our national new networks based in Central Canada, usually Toronto. The news is not National, it is entirely for Central Canada (largest population us westerners call The Center of the Universe), and maybe the Eastern "Seaboard". This year I heard nothing on CBC or CTV about the warmth in Western Canada, all eyes and ears were on bad weather in Central and Eastern. So no wonder the world gets an inaccurate impression.

While the US has tornados, floods, fires, shootings, and shootings, racial chaos, seems on a weekly basis there is some disaster, you don't see that in Canada. There is also the political Trump vs the world mentality. Yes we have dry weather, drought driven, wild fires, like the massive one in Fort McMurray causing the entire population of 80,000 to be evacuated and flooding every year in the Red River Valley, but, all over the map, no.
I would not rate Edmonton's summers as hot. I lived in and near Edmonton for about 24 years. Edmonton has much nicer summers than Medicine Hat which is more of what I would call hot. I prefer Edmonton's summers to those of Medicine Hat but do not think I would trade most winters.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
There are too many things people never talk about. And the problem is that many people don't even want to know about something if it's not already commonly known.

Unfortunately, people always complain about everything. If, for example, in spring, we get -5 °C as a morning temperature, and then, 3 days later, we get 20 °C as a high temperature, people will complain about "huge temperature swings", and "I don't know how I'm supposed to dress in this weather, one day it's cold, the other it's hot, I'm getting a headache." So they don't really adjust LOL

Okay, not really, it's just the same 2 or 3 people.

We have had summer highs of only 12C but also three days straight of 43C and of course everything inbetween. Winters high range from the low -30s to plus 22C. We can have a difference of temperatures of close to 40C in a single day.

The biggest difference for me is my wife is always one season colder than I am no matter what the temperature.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Geography is my favorite subject, I learned geography in a peculiar way through a peculiar hobby for a peculiar 6 year old. When I was a young boy, by young boy I mean 4-9, I started collecting maps, drawing maps, spending time looking through the atlas, looking at cities, countries, mountains, everything. I took a whole notebook and dedicated my time drawing maps of the world, I maybe ended up drawing 100+ maps! I remember getting in trouble one day and being sent to my room, I had a poster and used my time in my room to draw a huge map of the world. Still have it to this day. Remember the first globe I ever got, I was so excited and happy, I was only 6 at the time too lol!

I know people who cant name the 7 continents to this day, despite that being what we started with in every history class I took up to the 8th grade.
I became interested in geography at the same age (6), I used to travel the Mid-Atlantic region a lot and became obsessed with maps. I got an interactive globe as a gift and became proficient at locating countries and cities around the planet. I think I did a little better at that age than I do now lol, although my knowledge of geography in general is much more vast.

It surprises me how little some people know, whether it was taught or not, I think everyone should at least know the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather