Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 02:46 PM

149 posts, read 89,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
It's only natural for a cooler subtropical climate with a winter average of 52/35 (11/2) to get down to 15 (-9) for a record low, assuming moderate continentality.
Well, Birmingham, Alabama averages about that in the winter, but its record low is -10F, so it can get quite a bit colder in subtropical climates. But I do agree that cold snaps should not invalidate a region's subtropical classification.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM

808 posts, read 711,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
Well, Birmingham, Alabama averages about that in the winter, but its record low is -10F, so it can get quite a bit colder in subtropical climates. But I do agree that cold snaps should not invalidate a region's subtropical classification.
I agree. It's like saying Yakutsk isn't a subarctic climate just because their record high is 101*F. Occasional spells of hot weather don't mean the climate isn't subarctic, so why should the occasional cold spell mean it isn't subtropical?

Old 11-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
I agree. It's like saying Yakutsk isn't a subarctic climate just because their record high is 101*F. Occasional spells of hot weather don't mean the climate isn't subarctic, so why should the occasional cold spell mean it isn't subtropical?
Yes! That's exactly the analogy I used. I think that putting Birmingham, Alabama in the same category as Minneapolis is far more ludicrous than putting it in the same category as Orlando.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:09 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Wow, didn't realize this had exploded into an argument when I typed my reply...
Let me guess, you will be starting part 97 of "The US South is a Sub-Tropical Paradise" any day now

Old 11-23-2016, 03:57 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Is this sarcastic?
No, it is not. You can say goodbye to some of your subtropical biome if it's cold enough, but in the subarctic they don't give a damn if it's hot.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Let me guess, you will be starting part 97 of "The US South is a Sub-Tropical Paradise" any day now
Ha! Having lurked on this forum for a while, I very much enjoyed perusing Yn0hTnA's posts with his... interesting ideas and rhetoric. Believe me, I do not agree with him one bit. His "cold epoch" theory is entertaining, nonetheless...

I do not agree with him or the people who say that the Southeastern U.S. is uniquely prone to cold--I'm in the middle on that issue. I don't believe that there is a "cold epoch" (how Yn0hTnA never realized the basic logical contradiction of his arguments is beyond me). I believe that the Southeast is what it is: a typical subtropical region dominated by warmth but prone to moderate cold snaps in the winter.

Wait, I said that all wrong. What I meant to say was "THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. IS WARMER THAN ANY OTHER PLACE ON EARTH. THE AVERAGE LOW TEMPERATURE IN ATLANTA IS NINETY DEGREES IN JANUARY, OR AT LEAST IT WILL BE ONCE THIS DANG COLD EPOCH ENDS! THERE ARE PLANTS IN THE SOUTHEAST THAT CAN'T SURVIVE TEMPERATURES LOWER THAN TEN THOUSAND DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, EVEN THOUGH THE ALLEGED COLD EPOCH SHOULD HAVE KILLED THEM! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!"

Old 11-23-2016, 04:31 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Oh, look, a week straight of above-average weather for us. I guess THREE STRAIGHT MONTHS OF COMPLETELY UNINTERRUPTED ABOVE-AVERAGE WEATHER JUST WASN'T ENOUGH! Find me a single place in the entire world where the temperature was below average every single day for more than three months. You won't. Even the coldest winter on record in the U.S. wasn't below average every single day for the entire season. We didn't dip below 71 degrees for the entire months of July and August. That's basically the equivalent of New York City never getting out of the 30s for the entire months of January and February, which has never happened. We can't even get a single below-average week here. The last month that was below average here was January, and it was a whopping 0.3 degrees below average. Every other month has been at least a few degrees above average. The simple reality is that, in spite of the occasional arctic blast, heat ALWAYS dominates cold here. The greatest positive anomaly here is larger than the greatest negative anomaly. On Christmas last year we had a high of 80 and a low of 70. Relative to seasonal averages, this is the equivalent of New York City having a high in the 40s and a low in the 30s in late June, which has also never happened.

Also I broke off part of my toenail and it hurts.
Just as well live with it as the planet heats up more and more. Gonna get much worse the next 30 years. Many more long dry spells with record heat pete.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:43 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Is it weird to message people you haven't seen in a year to see how they are doing? I want to message someone but don't want her to get the wrong idea and come on strong.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Is it weird to message people you haven't seen in a year to see how they are doing? I want to message someone but don't want her to get the wrong idea and come on strong.
I don't think you need to worry about that.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:33 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, it is not. You can say goodbye to some of your subtropical biome if it's cold enough, but in the subarctic they don't give a damn if it's hot.
What is a subtropical biome? Parts of the south have dropped to -20 F before and still have a subtropical biome. What is it? Trees lined with palm trees? Growing tender plants? None of those make a "subtropical biome". Subtropical is simply a four seasonal climate that's dominated by warmth. That's it, which anywhere south of KY fits this description. A 20 F low in TN won't destroy their subtropical biome lol, hell even a 0 F low won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather