Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 03:34 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,931,483 times

Advertisements

Did anyone actually watch all of that debate? Even the candidates must have fallen asleep at some point.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,742,557 times
My father did. Brave man.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I used to be a real football vulture watching like 24 games a week, we gathered around at my friend's dad's house every Saturday to watch Chelsea as the dad was a fan, and his brother lived where the local club was QPR, and he bought us scarfs to wear as QPR was the best. Still have a QPR scarf in my closet.

Today half of the clubs supporters are gloryhunters or other freaks. The "support your local club" might sound fake, but would I get an audience with the president of Liverpool or Arsenal? No. It might be possible with HJK.

If I would move to the UK I would ask for the local club to support, not Liverpool or Chelsea. Because these clubs are a part of the community, and that is what's important. Local identity.
I've never understood this mindset either, but the world is full of people who are passionate fans of particular teams even if they have no personal connection at all to them.

I mean, I get it if you're from Moscow but went to MIT in Boston, got to like the Red Sox, and then moved back to Russia but still follow the Red Sox. Or if you have good friends in Munich and you support Bayern out of sympathy for them.

But Canada especially is full of people who, for example, live in Winnipeg, Manitoba but are huge fans of, let's say, the Indianapolis Colts. Even if they know no one in Indiana and have never even been close to there.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,982,940 times
I support Manchester United (or at least follow them) over and above "my local" English team, because the local team is poor play.

There is no "fun" in supporting a crap team who will never/never does win anything.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I support Manchester United (or at least follow them) over and above "my local" English team, because the local team is poor play.

There is no "fun" in supporting a crap team who will never/never does win anything.
So you're basically the worst kind of football 'fan' - someone who follows a team because they always win.

i.e you don't actually like football but like a lot of people say you support whatever team is big/famous.

Proper football fans support their local team because it's probably what they grew up watching. It's probably where their dads took them. Leeds United have been out of the Premier League for almost 13 years, but still have one of the largest followings in English football. Yeah they suck, but their fans won't just abandon them.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-05-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,381,262 times
Quote:

Wow. Fair weather fan much?

Should support your local team regardless of good or bad they are. Crap fans lead to crap teams.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
So you're basically the worst kind of football 'fan' - someone who follows a team because they always win.

i.e you don't actually like football but like a lot of people say you support whatever team is big/famous.

Proper football fans support their local team because it's probably what they grew up watching. It's probably where their dads took them. Leeds United have been out of the Premier League for almost 13 years, but still have one of the largest followings in English football. Yeah they suck, but their fans won't just abandon them.
Er no, i'm not easily swayed. I've supported Man U since a young boy and will continue to do so. For me, supporting them was not a question, as it is something that is somewhat of a family tradition. I suppose my Grandfather probably choose them due to their reputation and I guess that stuck from there. But we are not English so we have no reason to be loyal to any team.

Last edited by GymFanatic; 04-05-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Wow. Fair weather fan much?

Should support your local team regardless of good or bad they are. Crap fans lead to crap teams.
Eh? Why would I bother replying to you after your snarky remark earlier?

Seriously, Alex.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,962,060 times
Quote:
Eh? Why would I bother replying to you after your snarky remark earlier?

Seriously, Alex.
you just replied to him there

Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,512,243 times
Owen should support Derry City (because he's so Irish and not British)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather