Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 08:48 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, being able to travel between countries without papers or live another country sounds neat.
It was great at first when it was mainly countries with similar levels of economic development. But then when you accept a bunch of former-Communist states into the bloc, the results are inevitable, mass westward migration. It's almost like what would happen if NAFTA introduced freedom of movement, you'd just have an upward flow of people from Mexico.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
This season so far, this is 100% true. Same old story as the last several seasons before 2016. Bring back 2016, that was a great season IMO. The best in years and years. Making the F1 cars look like Indycars has failed IMO. 2017 so far has proved to be one of the most boring seasons in recent memory.
Even last season was dominated by a single team, the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry was good, but it was pretty much the only thing worth creaming your pants over.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
It was great at first when it was mainly countries with similar levels of economic development. But then when you accept a bunch of former-Communist states into the bloc, the results are inevitable, mass westward migration. It's almost like what would happen if NAFTA introduced freedom of movement, you'd just have an upward flow of people from Mexico.

Still, there is not a single country in the EU where other EU migration has done more harm than good.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Your wage bill wouldn't if the US was included
Obviously not between US and the North Mexican Narcostates, but between US, Chile, Argentina, Canadá, most definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Still, there is not a single country in the EU where other EU migration has done more harm than good.
A lot of people in the UK obviously dispute that, the country's infrastructure has struggled to keep up. There's a housing shortage, huge class sizes, longer hospital waiting times, wage suppression for low-earners, reduced social-cohesion, communities that have been transformed beyond recognition, etc.

People don't want to end immigration, they want to control it.

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
yea, open borders with much poorer countries doesn't seem like a good plan. But I wish the US had an open border with Canada; the controls are obnoxious. I met a Canadian [Victoria, BC] who lived for a couple years illegally in Boston with an off the books job. Asked if it felt that different from home. Him: "not really".

Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
yea, open borders with much poorer countries doesn't seem like a good plan. But I wish the US had an open border with Canada; the controls are obnoxious. I met a Canadian [Victoria, BC] who lived for a couple years illegally in Boston with an off the books job. Asked if it felt that different from home. Him: "not really".
I think opening the border with Canada would create a bit of a stink with Mexico, who would then demand that the southern border is removed. There doesn't really seem to be much of a border between the US and Canada, in many places it looks like you can just walk across. I'm guessing they have patrols?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Obviously not between US and the North Mexican Narcostates, but between US, Chile, Argentina, Canadá, most definitely
I think the US would be flooded with Argentinians in particular given how bad the economy still is in relative terms down there.

Personally I'm only fine with open borders to Sweden from:

Nordic countries
Australia
New Zealand

It should be easier for Brits, Canadians, Americans, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Irish, French, Austrians, the Swiss, Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese to get in than for other groups though.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
A lot of people in the UK obviously dispute that, the country's infrastructure has struggled to keep up. There's a housing shortage, huge class sizes, longer hospital waiting times, wage suppression for low-earners, reduced social-cohesion, communities that have been transformed beyond recognition, etc.

People don't want to end immigration, they want to control it.

There are 2 million EU citizens living in the UK, and 1 million UK citizens living in the EU. A one-million increase of working age people in an aging country, don't you know how jealous many EU countries are?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
I think opening the border with Canada would create a bit of a stink with Mexico, who would then demand that the southern border is removed. There doesn't really seem to be much of a border between the US and Canada, in many places it looks like you can just walk across. I'm guessing they have patrols?
Crossing used to just check photo IDs, but Canada could still reject entry for nitpicky reasons [someone w/ a drunk driving conviction by law would need a special waiver including George Bush]. Some towns are built right on the border, and border formalities were often ignored. Controls got strict after 9/11. Like, "we know you, you're local, come right through". A town in Vermont has a library that's partially in Canada; 100 years ago locals didn't pay attention to the exact border. Border is too long and remote to patrols, though some spots have security cameras. There are some mountainous areas with hiking trails going across, but it'd be a challenge to access any inhabited US area that way. These climbers started in Canada to climb an American peak. Mountain 74 [scroll down] marks the border:

NWHikers.net - View topic - Hozomeen (6/30 - 7/1/07)

photo I took in the same Canada, may have down the same trail they started at but didn't go as far.

border is a couple miles in the foreground. A photo I took at the US-Canadian border after legally crossing; station is only open from 9-5, had to wait a little bit:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather